This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

2012 was definitely the year for RPGs!

#111Devilman_AmonPosted 1/2/2013 11:19:04 AM
unknown2226 posted...
Rather have a 100 shooters than more anime RPGs.

We have over 500 shooters
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#112Devilman_AmonPosted 1/2/2013 11:22:08 AM
xxghost12xx posted...
Wiki says otherwise.

RPGs are a video game genre where the player controls the actions of a protagonist as this character lives immersed in a fictional world. Many role playing games have origins in pen-and-paper role-playing games[1] such as Dungeons & Dragons, using much of the same terminology, settings and game mechanics. The player in RPGs controls one character, or several adventuring party members, fulfilling one or many quests. The major similarities with pen-and-paper games involve developed story-telling and narrative elements, player character development, complexity, as well as replay ability and immersion.

So Borderlands 2 and 1 fall in this category. Hence they are RPGs.

Nope. They are shooters. You shoot things. You pew
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#113jrr18Posted 1/2/2013 11:26:15 AM(edited)
Devilman_Amon posted...
unknown2226 posted...

and we have 1000's of low buget, low quality anime RPGs.
---
Victory over the 2013 zombie apocalypse through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#114superbowl54Posted 1/2/2013 11:29:50 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#115RyuuHou25Posted 1/2/2013 11:30:54 AM
ymdase posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
Borderlands is an RPG now? *laughs* I love the games, but, seriously.....no. It's not an RPG.

this

Well at least some people agree with me!

As to undietaker, you do realize that the term RPG comes from something that existed before video games as we know them (home console, PC, all of that) were around, right? And they were not "first person" perspective....they weren't even on a TV.

The term evolves, I'm well aware of that, what is today considered a straight up and "true" RPG is pretty different from what would have been considered one twenty years ago.

BL 2, Fallout 3 and New Vegas and all of that, shooter games with RPG elements, be they minimal or many, are NOT an RPG, they are a hybrid. To simply flat out say "It's an RPG" is ignorance at its worst, which is what I had been trying to convey and was summarily agreed against for.

Such is the world we live in today, where, as I made a point of saying, more and more people think spelling you as "u" is acceptable and standard, simply because they see everyone else doing it and it's becoming a social norm.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#116Devilman_AmonPosted 1/2/2013 6:07:21 PM
jrr18 posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...
unknown2226 posted...

and we have 1000's of low buget, low quality anime RPGs.

Maybe in your loli fantasy world but I was talking about this gen alone. There are over 500 shooters alone this gen and barely any RPG's on consoles including the ones from the West
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#117MHNetioPosted 1/2/2013 6:13:09 PM
Dragon's Dogma.