This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

2012 was definitely the year for RPGs!

#81jubjub360Posted 1/2/2013 2:15:49 AM
Evil_Gogeta posted...
jubjub360 posted...
Evil_Gogeta posted...
Ermm..half of that list wasn't even 2012 ;>>.

Which ones? I'm counting more than half were

Atelier (Only Ayesha came out in 2012 and Meryl came out June 2011)
Tales of Graces F: December 2012 (Bought it day 1, Graces was even earlier)
XenoBlade Chronicles (June 2010)
Final Fantasy 13-2 (December 2011)

I know. That's why I deleted my comment. Thanks for bringing it back though.

Also what dates are those? US release dates?
---
Wanna see a professional spinner?http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/64907080 look at zuuku specifically!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#82RyuuHou25Posted 1/2/2013 2:16:00 AM
digidevilwil posted...

Wtf is an rpg in the first place, then? What does it actually own itself, since the way you put it makes it sound like the genre doesn't exist. Action/rpg, fps/rpg, strategy/rpg. How do you get a non hybrid rpg?? I mean the term role playing game more accurately describes games like CoD than it even does most supposed rpgs.

I'm not sure if that's a rhetorical question or not by everything you said there, it sounds like you were just working through something in your own head?

I define an RPG on the generally classic ideals of it that used to be constricted due to technological limitations, ie turn based type of stuff. But given that technology allows for far more advanced games, yes, most everything could be considered an RPG in some way or another, that was the point of my argument.

You have to go by some sort of definition, otherwise everything can just be called everything and why even bother with labels and names for anything.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#83TehAssasinPosted 1/2/2013 2:17:07 AM
ME3 and BL2 are TPS and FPS with some RPG elements. In the end, they still ultimately and more appropriately fall under shooter category.
#84RyuuHou25Posted 1/2/2013 2:18:18 AM
XMonkeySniperX posted...
By his definition, games like Persona 3 or 4 don't fall into the RPG category due to the social sim aspects. Games like the Tales of series don't fall into the RPG category due to the action-based combat system.

Uh....huh.....
---
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#85xxghost12xx(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 2:19:45 AM
Evil_Gogeta posted...
jubjub360 posted...
Evil_Gogeta posted...
Ermm..half of that list wasn't even 2012 ;>>.

Which ones? I'm counting more than half were

Atelier (Only Ayesha came out in 2012 and Meryl came out June 2011)
Tales of Graces F: December 2012 (Bought it day 1, Graces was even earlier)
XenoBlade Chronicles (June 2010)
Final Fantasy 13-2 (December 2011)

Xenoblades: Released April 6, 2012 - North America
Final Fantasy 13-2: Released 2012 - North America

I live in the U.S. so the Europe and Japanese versions of the games are exempt to me. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
---
PSN: [R3D]LiquidSnake3465 -- Site: official-R3D.forumotions.com FC: 4811-8101-5946
#86YggdrasillePosted 1/2/2013 2:26:44 AM(edited)
TC, you forgot about Dragon's Dogma, Persona 4 Golden, and Agarest 2. Oh, and I would not consider Borderlands 2 and Mass Effect 3 to be RPGs...
---
Playing: DOA5 (PS3), Dragon's Dogma (PS3), Tales of Graces F, Atelier Totori; Waiting for: Ni No Kuni, Beyond: Two Souls, Tales of Xillia, Remember Me
#87OmegaPosted 1/2/2013 2:25:42 AM
RyuuHou25 posted...
digidevilwil posted...

Wtf is an rpg in the first place, then? What does it actually own itself, since the way you put it makes it sound like the genre doesn't exist. Action/rpg, fps/rpg, strategy/rpg. How do you get a non hybrid rpg?? I mean the term role playing game more accurately describes games like CoD than it even does most supposed rpgs.

I'm not sure if that's a rhetorical question or not by everything you said there, it sounds like you were just working through something in your own head?

I define an RPG on the generally classic ideals of it that used to be constricted due to technological limitations, ie turn based type of stuff. But given that technology allows for far more advanced games, yes, most everything could be considered an RPG in some way or another, that was the point of my argument.

You have to go by some sort of definition, otherwise everything can just be called everything and why even bother with labels and names for anything.

You should use the definitions in correlation as to how the industry uses them instead of what your personal preference is.

Although I do enjoy watching people get upset over this, so continue on! :)
---
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.
#88xxghost12xx(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 2:28:47 AM
Wiki says otherwise.

RPGs are a video game genre where the player controls the actions of a protagonist as this character lives immersed in a fictional world. Many role playing games have origins in pen-and-paper role-playing games[1] such as Dungeons & Dragons, using much of the same terminology, settings and game mechanics. The player in RPGs controls one character, or several adventuring party members, fulfilling one or many quests. The major similarities with pen-and-paper games involve developed story-telling and narrative elements, player character development, complexity, as well as replay ability and immersion.

So Borderlands 2 and 1 fall in this category. Hence they are RPGs.
---
PSN: [R3D]LiquidSnake3465 -- Site: official-R3D.forumotions.com FC: 4811-8101-5946
#89Chocobo115Posted 1/2/2013 2:36:38 AM
I have had better RPG years in the previous 3 generations :/
#90RyuuHou25Posted 1/2/2013 2:38:41 AM
Omega posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
digidevilwil posted...

You should use the definitions in correlation as to how the industry uses them instead of what your personal preference is.

Although I do enjoy watching people get upset over this, so continue on! :)

I think I'll continue to use my own brain as opposed to becoming a sheep, thanks.
---