This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is there such as lack of Jews/Jewish culture in videogames?

#11Space_MonkyPosted 1/2/2013 4:57:55 PM
Sophistication posted...
Mindwipe77 posted...
Sophistication posted...
I certainly concur... lots of blacks, gays and asains. Not many Jewish or Native American folk. Time for a change.

lots of blacks lol where? in sports, sterotypical roles? nah video games have barely done a thing for black customers

And they certainly have done less for my demograph...

trolls?
i see them in plenty of games.
---
The fiction will see the real.
#12NintendologicalPosted 1/2/2013 4:59:36 PM
Sophistication posted...
I certainly concur... lots of blacks, gays and asains. Not many Jewish or Native American folk. Time for a change.

Aztecs, Mixtec and various North American tribal individuals are featured quite frequently in video games.

- Turok (Turok the Dinosaur Hunter)
- T. Hawk (Super Street Fighter II)
- Billy Candle (Call of Juarez)
- Nightwolf (Mortal Kombat)
- Humba Wumba (Banjo Tooie)
- Tala (Darkwatch)
- Tommy Tawodi (Prey)

Now the real problem is that these portrayals are all highly stereotypical. The problem with games isn't just a lack of other ethnic groups, it is the fact that when these ethnic groups do show up, they are often reduced to these facile caricatures that fail to show people as individuals, or fail to properly reverence their ethnic heritage.
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#13SophisticationPosted 1/2/2013 5:01:49 PM
Space_Monky posted...
Sophistication posted...
Mindwipe77 posted...
Sophistication posted...

lots of blacks lol where? in sports, sterotypical roles? nah video games have barely done a thing for black customers

And they certainly have done less for my demograph...

trolls?
i see them in plenty of games.

No, Jew's... People from the holy land. Me and my family... My friends and colleagues. Jewish people are always left out of the equation time and time again -- only we don't cry and whine about it.
---
As a sophistocrat I am here to represent my fellow like minded Sophisticated gamers with judicious topics & post that spark debate.
PSN: Sophistocrat
#14bsballa09Posted 1/2/2013 5:05:17 PM(edited)
inafterbadracistjokes

I always love these types of topics. So many moderations, and possibly some bans.
---
Put this in your sig if you will never buy another COD game again.
#15SophisticationPosted 1/2/2013 5:04:11 PM
Nintendological posted...
Sophistication posted...

Aztecs, Mixtec and various North American tribal individuals are featured quite frequently in video games.

- Turok (Turok the Dinosaur Hunter)
- T. Hawk (Super Street Fighter II)
- Billy Candle (Call of Juarez)
- Nightwolf (Mortal Kombat)
- Humba Wumba (Banjo Tooie)
- Tala (Darkwatch)
- Tommy Tawodi (Prey)

Now the real problem is that these portrayals are all highly stereotypical. The problem with games isn't just a lack of other ethnic groups, it is the fact that when these ethnic groups do show up, they are often reduced to these facile caricatures that fail to show people as individuals, or fail to properly reverence their ethnic heritage.

You make a good point on the native american side... But, as you said, somewhat stereotypical. Then again, is it a case of stereotyping or a case of style and presentation? Maybe exploiting their background, sure -- but that could all lend itself to making the character standout more from the crowd. To make him more exciting or more appealing to play as...
---
As a sophistocrat I am here to represent my fellow like minded Sophisticated gamers with judicious topics & post that spark debate.
PSN: Sophistocrat
#16GenjiRedPosted 1/2/2013 5:06:41 PM
Uhh...Sephiroth is Jewish. Don't know how anyone missed that.
---
If you believe in Pikachu, have accepted him as a cute lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#17NintendologicalPosted 1/2/2013 5:06:56 PM
Omega posted...
Mindwipe77 posted...
Sophistication posted...

Wut about Barrett and Sazh from the FF games?

Barrett was either a really brilliant Mr. T parody, or one of the most offensive stereotypes about Black males. I'm leaning more toward the latter. It is easy for Black people to be excited about any Black person in a video game, but accepting a terrible portrayal is not any sort of tolerable compromise. Barrett is crude and unintelligent. Balrog (Boxer) from Street Fighter is mostly a Mike Tyson parody, but he is also a representation of what the Japanese think of when they see Black people.

Western games like Grand Theft Auto limit Blacks to being thugs and poor language users. In fact, the only respite for Blacks who play video games, are games where you can create your own character. So it is not an issue to create a Black person in Crackdown or Dragon Age, but there is no real racial weight in such games, where as Blackness in other games is so clearly marked as "less than." Even well meaning Black characters like Elena from Street Fighter, come down to racial stereotypes.

As a matter of fact, I'd love for someone to find a Black character that isn't a stereotype. Not a voodoo user (Shadowman) or tribal (Elena) or a thug (Grand Theft Auto San Andreas) or a former criminal (The Walking Dead, The Suffering), or a sports player (any sports game) or some hyper masculine individual with poor locution (Gears of War, Final Fantasy VII).
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#18HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 1/2/2013 5:08:31 PM
Nintendological posted...
As a matter of fact, I'd love for someone to find a Black character that isn't a stereotype. Not a voodoo user (Shadowman) or tribal (Elena) or a thug (Grand Theft Auto San Andreas) or a former criminal (The Walking Dead, The Suffering), or a sports player (any sports game) or some hyper masculine individual with poor locution (Gears of War, Final Fantasy VII).

the lead character from the Crysis games?
---
http://www.miniih.com/miniiblog/good-girl/files/suzy_gif7.gif
PSN:
#19bsballa09Posted 1/2/2013 5:08:42 PM
Barrett was either a really brilliant Mr. T parody, or one of the most offensive stereotypes about Black males.

But he looked like a bear weaing a marshmallow. One of the best lines in all of gaming.
---
Put this in your sig if you will never buy another COD game again.
#20nonexistingheroPosted 1/2/2013 5:09:24 PM
Mindwipe77 posted...
Sophistication posted...

Most black people I see outside are pretty damn stereotypical. If anything, the non-stereotypical kind seems to be in the minority.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.