This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is there such as lack of Jews/Jewish culture in videogames?

#271StarGoyPosted 1/3/2013 3:23:55 PM
bsballa09 posted...

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you? There were no Ashkenazi or Sephardic Jews in Judea during the Roman occupation. Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews existed after the Romans expelled the Jews of Judea to Europe (which is where we get Ashkenazi Jews from) and Spain and Portugal (where we get Sephardic Jews). And it doesn't ****ing matter which sub set of Jews were killed in the Holocaust. A Jew is a Jew whether he's from Spain or Eastern Europe.

Yes, it matters. If people are dying, it matters. Ashkenazi and Sephardim both claim to be the realethnic Jews, yet are almost completely different.

If being a Jew is about religion, it's not antisemitic to be Anti-Jew, and you're saying the Holocaust wasn't racist. Also, that means every persecuted religious group deserves it's own homeland. Irish Catholics kicking out Italians to create a Catholic homeland? Druid cnverts from Australia getting a homeland in Britain.

It's called ethno-religious. Look it up.

Nope. Either Sammy Davis Jnr was a Jew or he wasn't. Either having a Jewish mother makes you Jewish, despite being an atheist, or it doesn't. And again, if it's ethno, which of the Sephardic or Ashkenazim are ethnically Jewish when both are different?

I have Jews in my family and have studied this for years. There is no "it doesn't matter who". Only one of them can be ethnically Jewish.
#272NilakanthaPosted 1/3/2013 3:26:53 PM
Nintendological posted...
Nilakantha posted...

Here's your proof, now where's yours white boy? Your like that White guy on the Boondocks that teaches African American studies just so that he can feel like he is black. Also I'm single so I have no idea what crap your trying to pull.

http://imageshack.us/a/img266/8624/p1010208au.jpg

Looks like I owe you an apology. You are actually Black. But now I must pay you an insult; You are a disappointment to our people. If using the "n word" is your best resolve, then I am sad that you and I share any ethnic heritage. That word was said while our people dangled from the ends of ropes, yet like the uncivilized cretin you are, you spread its use. People like you are a cancer to the prosperity of the Black race.

And just for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3qstGovXs

I spared no expense for you. I made an actual video, just for you.

Oh my, you have some books about Black people, don't you feel good. I have a library of books about my heritage that puts your collection to shame. My mother works for the Charles H. Wright Museum and if you want she can give you a tour of our prestigious exhibit. Trust me, I am aware of the word and I actually do not ever use it, but the way you were addressed me can cause that to slip. Your tactics of declaring that someone who is defending their culture and heritage like myself is not Black was a low blow me as I have live my entire life being casted aside due to the color of my skin. Even to this day, I attend Eastern Michigan University as a Literature major and a Geography minor. I have grow up with straight hair and I would be rediculed because of my ethnicity. Not granted, three years ago I found out that I have a high level of Native American and Hispanic, but at the same time, growing up as a African American has been my identity. My grandmother was the first Black woman to attend Wayne State University, my grandfather was the first Black man to become Sherrif of Wayne County. So I'm not the cancer, people like you who dictate what is Black and what isn't are the bigger problems that are destroying our communities. There is no such thing as being more Black or the correct Black, or the right Black than any other Black person. What city do you live in, because I would like for you to educate yourself further?
#273Fear the MONKEYPosted 1/3/2013 3:26:56 PM
TC, i hope you read every single message in this topic. then you will understand my original comment.

something as simple as "hey, where are jews in video games" spawned arguments, racism, comments that felt like they were based on blind hate rather than genuine knowledge, etc.

thats why id rather jews not be in any games. less confrontations. less being labeled as one thing or another. less hate being spread. less stereotyping.

not to mention i dont necessarily need religion in my game. i tend to game to escape reality.
---
psn id: FearTheMonkey
#274bsballa09Posted 1/3/2013 3:29:50 PM(edited)
Yes, it matters. If people are dying, it matters. Ashkenazi and Sephardim both claim to be the realethnic Jews, yet are almost completely different.

They're both Jews genetically and historically as I've already proven.

Nope. Either Sammy Davis Jnr was a Jew or he wasn't. Either having a Jewish mother makes you Jewish, despite being an atheist, or it doesn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnoreligious_group

An ethnoreligious group (or ethno-religious group) is an ethnic group of people whose members are also unified by a common religious background.

Examples of ethnic groups defined by ancestral religions are the Jews, the Druze of the Levant, the Copts of Egypt, the Yazidi of northern Iraq, the Zoroastrians of Iran and India, and the Serer of Senegal, the Gambia and Mauritania.[1]

And again, if it's ethno, which of the Sephardic or Ashkenazim are ethnically Jewish when both are different?

They're both ethnically Jewish.

I have Jews in my family

No you don't.

and have studied this for years.

No you haven't.
---
Put this in your sig if you will never buy another COD game again.
#275OldsilverdogPosted 1/3/2013 3:31:32 PM
Just to cement the point being made, I'm not even the first person to understand that Fran from Final Fantasy XII is not Black. Not in the ethnic sense at least, which is something that is sadly beyond all of the idiots who have been arguing with me. This is a thread about REAL ethnicities, not simply skin color on fictional humanoid bunny women.

Before I explain why her characterization isnít sexist, let me first address the issue of why I donít think her characterization is racist. Although itís very easy to jump to the facile conclusion that Fran is just another example of a hyper-sexualized black woman, I would argue that this is not in fact the case. The most significant counter-argument against this claim is that Fran is not black, at least not in the sense that being ďblackĒ in America carries with it a great deal of history and cultural significance.

http://japaneseliterature.wordpress.com/2011/04/05/feminism-and-final-fantasy-part-four/

She's not black or white... She's Viera.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061106045302AAVuCfw

No. She is not black. She is a Vierna--a race of bunnies

http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7050

All across the internet, people seem to understand that Fran is not Black and not human, yet you simpletons can't grasp the same simple concept. I'm not sure if that is idiosyncratic to you few individuals or endemic to the rampant stupidity that seems to flourish on GFAQs.

You do know what opinions are, because I read through those and other sites where people address her design as Black despite her being a Viera. Even when I was in Japan, even they considered her design to be African American-like. This means that her looks were inspired by Black women. Do you get it?
#276GenjiRedPosted 1/3/2013 3:33:12 PM
Oldsilverdog posted...
Just to cement the point being made, I'm not even the first person to understand that Fran from Final Fantasy XII is not Black. Not in the ethnic sense at least, which is something that is sadly beyond all of the idiots who have been arguing with me. This is a thread about REAL ethnicities, not simply skin color on fictional humanoid bunny women.

Before I explain why her characterization isnít sexist, let me first address the issue of why I donít think her characterization is racist. Although itís very easy to jump to the facile conclusion that Fran is just another example of a hyper-sexualized black woman, I would argue that this is not in fact the case. The most significant counter-argument against this claim is that Fran is not black, at least not in the sense that being ďblackĒ in America carries with it a great deal of history and cultural significance.

http://japaneseliterature.wordpress.com/2011/04/05/feminism-and-final-fantasy-part-four/

She's not black or white... She's Viera.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061106045302AAVuCfw

No. She is not black. She is a Vierna--a race of bunnies

http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7050

All across the internet, people seem to understand that Fran is not Black and not human, yet you simpletons can't grasp the same simple concept. I'm not sure if that is idiosyncratic to you few individuals or endemic to the rampant stupidity that seems to flourish on GFAQs.

You do know what opinions are, because I read through those and other sites where people address her design as Black despite her being a Viera. Even when I was in Japan, even they considered her design to be African American-like. This means that her looks were inspired by Black women. Do you get it?

Don't waist your time with that idiot, he has an anti-Black agenda, so I just ignore him.
---
If you believe in Pikachu, have accepted him as a cute lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#277therickmu25Posted 1/3/2013 3:34:18 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#278bsballa09Posted 1/3/2013 3:36:16 PM
^^^

Its pretty sad people keep making the same unoriginal joke, yet still think it's funny somehow. Honestly, it seems like jealousy to me.
---
Put this in your sig if you will never buy another COD game again.
#279zyrax2301Posted 1/3/2013 3:38:12 PM
^ Oh come come now bb, it's an ultra-sensitive insult wrapped in a complimentary joke.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#280kuwab0Posted 1/3/2013 3:44:41 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]