This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sorry Xbox, but PSN is much better than Live

#251Maxx_the_SlashPosted 1/3/2013 11:32:08 AM(edited)
<-- Continued from previous post.

-Damien- posted...
- Better apps, better Netflix

1. Where are they? Name these apps that are allegedly "better".

2. Same as the dashboard VS. the XMB menu, why does it ****ing matter? Move a cursor with the directional pad, press a button to confirm the movie you want to watch. Who the **** gives a crap about anything else? They both serve their purpose.

-Damien- posted...
- NO Advertisement, TONS of advertisement in Live

The ads on the Xbox 360 dashboard are small, they're out of the way, they only play when you highlight them, and you're not forced to watch them or buy anything from them. The fact that they're placed on the dashboard at all, whether or not they're watched, brings in ad revenue and goes to help keeping Xbox Live's servers stable, meaning hardly any maintenance periods, as opposed to the weekly ones Sony does that interrupts online play.

-Damien- posted...
- NO Stupid Kinect ****

Oh yeah, it's so inconvenient to hold absolutely nothing in your hand to play a game. How can anyone function without holding a stick with a rubber ball on top of it? The Move is so much more convenient! It not only adds weight to your hand and is a blatant rip-off of the Wii Remote that Sony once mocked Nintendo for and then copied, it also functions as a sex toy. Oh boy, ladies! Pleasure town! Careful you don't get gonorrhea or worse!
---
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 105/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984 | Wii U: Maxx_the_Slash
#252katamari_of_warPosted 1/3/2013 11:46:28 AM
I hope they keep it free next gen. I don't play online but I play demos and buy games from the store sometimes. It wouldn't be worth it for me if I had to pay for it.
#253James MasonPosted 1/3/2013 12:00:00 PM
I prefer PSN personally, mostly because it's free.

Xbox Live membership fees are downright insulting... You're basically flushing fifty bucks a year down the toilet... That's 500 Bucks in a ten year console cycle... Meaning I saved enough for a new console by being a PS3 fanboy instead of an Xbox fanboy... That's one free game a year... Or a console and accessories every ten year.... Your call... Sure, the PS3 was slightly more expensive than Xbox at launch, but considering all the cash you then have to spend to get this thing online... It's an expensive hobby.

From a feature standpoint, both are actually similar in terms of feature. Their main drive is being able to play online, both do so just fine. Both have some text message and chat options to hook up to your friends... But PSN has Playstation Home, which is pretty unique and once again free. Both have trophies to keep track of your success. Both have stores where you can buy new content and get free demos. Both have netflix and other similar stuff. PSN has an internet browser, which i'm not sure Xbox has... Overall, both offer similar services, only one is free and the other in not. There are minor pluses and cons of both platform, but they serve their purpose adequately...

Then there's PSN Plus, which is actually pretty generous in giving you free content and good discounts every month... Meaning you're actually playing monthly fees for free sixty bucks games and big discounts... It does make sense in that context. I personally don't care for it, but imho that's suscription based fees done right... And I could maybe even get a suscription eventually if they keep throwing big rebates on DLC, Indie Games and free games at you.. If the value save is bigger than the cost, why not basically ?
---
The wind carried screams from the west. I could not help but smile - Kain PSN : Stealth_Cobra | MGO ID : Killed by Konami's Greed
#254jubjub360Posted 1/3/2013 12:01:05 PM
James Mason posted...
I prefer PSN personally, mostly because it's free.

Xbox Live membership fees are downright insulting... You're basically flushing fifty bucks a year down the toilet... That's 500 Bucks in a ten year console cycle... Meaning I saved enough for a new console by being a PS3 fanboy instead of an Xbox fanboy... That's one free game a year... Or a console and accessories every ten year.... Your call... Sure, the PS3 was slightly more expensive than Xbox at launch, but considering all the cash you then have to spend to get this thing online... It's an expensive hobby.

From a feature standpoint, both are actually similar in terms of feature. Their main drive is being able to play online, both do so just fine. Both have some text message and chat options to hook up to your friends... But PSN has Playstation Home, which is pretty unique and once again free. Both have trophies to keep track of your success. Both have stores where you can buy new content and get free demos. Both have netflix and other similar stuff. PSN has an internet browser, which i'm not sure Xbox has... Overall, both offer similar services, only one is free and the other in not. There are minor pluses and cons of both platform, but they serve their purpose adequately...

Then there's PSN Plus, which is actually pretty generous in giving you free content and good discounts every month... Meaning you're actually playing monthly fees for free sixty bucks games and big discounts... It does make sense in that context. I personally don't care for it, but imho that's suscription based fees done right... And I could maybe even get a suscription eventually if they keep throwing big rebates on DLC, Indie Games and free games at you.. If the value save is bigger than the cost, why not basically ?

Did you know that if you buy a game new it's 60 bucks. If you buy one each year, that's 60/month.
---
Wanna see a professional spinner?http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/64907080 look at zuuku specifically!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#255kidcrumbPosted 1/3/2013 12:01:29 PM
This thread happens all the time. But, here it goes. Giant Wall of Text.

PSN Store is much easier to navigate. Its nice to have actual menus instead of a bunch of horizontal lines for the hundreds of items in the store.

Latency wise, they are almost identical. Having Xbox Live over PSN is not going to affect your connection as much as you would think it should by paying for it. For example, in call of duty. If you have 3 bars on PSN you will probably have 3 bars on XBL.

Although, XBL has faster download times in my experience. Its probably just because they have more servers based in the US than Sony and has one closer to me.

PSN XMB menu is a ton better than the Xbox 360. Its more than just a preference. XMB is much easier to navigate than the Xbox menu. People who are using a PS3 for the first time can find what they are looking for a whole lot quicker and easier than on Xbox. Sources: Experience. My parents can use the PS3 very easily. When they tried to use the Xbox they had no idea that the shoulder buttons change the menu over. The "but they dont play games or use technology" argument is invalid. A menu should be simple and intuitive. Knowing shortcuts is one thing, but making those shortcuts the entire control scheme for your menu is annoying and difficult if its your first time using it.

Hacking. Microsoft is not more secure than Sony. It would seem that way by what happened a while ago but really its not. Microsoft had a leak back in 2007 and XBL was shut down for about 2 weeks. Shorter than the PSN shutdown, but still quite a while. People seem to forget all about that. Microsoft has had more breaches more often than sony does but does not always tell its consumers or shut down to reconfigure the problems. They just carry on like nothing is wrong. Convenient perhaps, but not secure at all.

Controllers. The feel of the controller is preference but not the technical construction of them. DS3 has a much better D-pad and more advanced/sensitive analog sticks and buttons. The Xbox controller analogs have deadzones like you would not believe. And this is not a matter of concave vs. convex sticks either. That is irrelevant to what im talking about.

I might update this post later.
---
Thermaltake Armor, Core i7 920 Nehalem, ASUS P6T, 6GB OCZ Gold, eVGA9800GT, 8600gts PhysX, 850w CoolerMaster PSU
#256jubjub360Posted 1/3/2013 12:02:35 PM
kidcrumb posted...
This thread happens all the time. But, here it goes. Giant Wall of Text.

PSN Store is much easier to navigate. Its nice to have actual menus instead of a bunch of horizontal lines for the hundreds of items in the store.

Latency wise, they are almost identical. Having Xbox Live over PSN is not going to affect your connection as much as you would think it should by paying for it. For example, in call of duty. If you have 3 bars on PSN you will probably have 3 bars on XBL.

Although, XBL has faster download times in my experience. Its probably just because they have more servers based in the US than Sony and has one closer to me.

PSN XMB menu is a ton better than the Xbox 360. Its more than just a preference. XMB is much easier to navigate than the Xbox menu. People who are using a PS3 for the first time can find what they are looking for a whole lot quicker and easier than on Xbox. Sources: Experience. My parents can use the PS3 very easily. When they tried to use the Xbox they had no idea that the shoulder buttons change the menu over. The "but they dont play games or use technology" argument is invalid. A menu should be simple and intuitive. Knowing shortcuts is one thing, but making those shortcuts the entire control scheme for your menu is annoying and difficult if its your first time using it.

Hacking. Microsoft is not more secure than Sony. It would seem that way by what happened a while ago but really its not. Microsoft had a leak back in 2007 and XBL was shut down for about 2 weeks. Shorter than the PSN shutdown, but still quite a while. People seem to forget all about that. Microsoft has had more breaches more often than sony does but does not always tell its consumers or shut down to reconfigure the problems. They just carry on like nothing is wrong. Convenient perhaps, but not secure at all.

Controllers. The feel of the controller is preference but not the technical construction of them. DS3 has a much better D-pad and more advanced/sensitive analog sticks and buttons. The Xbox controller analogs have deadzones like you would not believe. And this is not a matter of concave vs. convex sticks either. That is irrelevant to what im talking about.

I might update this post later.

The bold is a bad example. CoD is P2P
---
Wanna see a professional spinner?http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/64907080 look at zuuku specifically!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#257kidcrumbPosted 1/3/2013 12:06:40 PM(edited)
It was a bad example but I hope most people can infer what I meant.

Edit: They still use XBL and PSN though. Thats why when Microsoft or Sony shut down their online service, you wont be able to play Black Ops or whatever online even though they are mostly P2P. You are still right though, Im just trying to explain more.
---
HAF 922 - i7 920 Nehalem @ 4.0 Ghz - 12GB DDR3 Patriot 1600mhz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - EVGA GTX 580 3GB - Cooler Master 850W
#258TrickyPonyPosted 1/3/2013 12:07:23 PM
A_Dirty_Liberal posted...
1. Server outages- who doesn't love those, gives me time to talk about how much I love PSN on gamefaqs
2. Getting hacked and having personal information compromised- awesome, you haven't lived until your identities been stolen
3. Terrible servers and connectivity issues- the more lag the better right?
4. Poor chat functionality- who needs communication in team based games?
5. Poor profile customizability- why would anyone want to customize their profile? Nobody ever does that ever!
6. Poor Customer support- If you have a problem you should just live with it, it builds character.
7. Tedious navigation- you should totally have to scroll through the menus every time to do something. Pressing one button is far too little work.

Sorry, but this goes beyond a matter of "one guys" opinion, getting your identity stolen by signing on to a free online service makes that service a pretty crappy one.

EDIT: When you pay for Xbox live you pay for the reliable system of SECURE servers that ensures that I will be able to get on XBL whenever I please, and not have to worry about my security being compromised as a result.
#259Coop14Posted 1/3/2013 12:15:04 PM
I own and use both.

Get on my level
---
On the WoW board today, Coop14 becomes the most desired male on the board in the span of a single day. -
Wyrmwarrior5
#260James MasonPosted 1/3/2013 12:42:09 PM
"Did you know that if you buy a game new it's 60 bucks. If you buy one each year, that's 60/month."

Shop a little and you can get brand new games for 50 or less...
---
The wind carried screams from the west. I could not help but smile - Kain PSN : Stealth_Cobra | MGO ID : Killed by Konami's Greed