This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

HOLY ****!!! SONY just confirmed no used games on PS4.

#21flame030191Posted 1/3/2013 2:12:13 PM
They got the license for it. It's like they had the license to use a tablet as a controller before PS3's launch, which that hasn't been used yet by Sony.
---
PSN ID: Troll_Face_Flame (formerly armyflame) X360 gamertag: ArmyFlame9
Sonic Adventure 2 = the last GOOD Sonic game.
#22EoinPosted 1/3/2013 2:15:22 PM
scroogeu posted...
New/used are only 5 bucks different in price, why wouldn't you buy new all the time?

- Trading games with friends
- Loaning games to/from a friend
- Bringing a game to a friend's house for multiplayer
- Selling games to fund new game purchases
- Buying used copies of fairly rare games
- Buying a used copy of an out-of-print game

I do really believe that Sony will actually prevent used games from working on the PS4. We had exactly the same story for the PS3 (exactly the same, including the existence of a patent). However, anyone defending or excusing the idea of a block on used games is wrong. There's many, many reasons why this should never happen.
#23EoinPosted 1/3/2013 2:17:53 PM
Ebak_the_cat posted...
However my main problem with that is the money lost to the developer, publisher/distributer

No.

No money is "lost".

If I spend money on a used game, the publisher did not "lose" that money. They just didn't gain it. Please don't fall for word tricks. If you spend money on something you like instead of giving it to me, I do not "lose" anything. The publishers get money from the first sale and that is all that they are entitled to.
#24LinkinLawgPosted 1/3/2013 2:22:41 PM
Pulling something like this would be suicide to the Playstation brand. The 599USD price tag for Ps3 was bad enough. If they do something like this, they better lower the price of new games.
---
PSN: LinkinLawg
Not changing this sig until I feel like it
#25hotgamerPosted 1/3/2013 2:24:10 PM
Patents mean absolutely nothing.

They even made a patent for a controller that become hot or cold depending on the situation.

http://kotaku.com/5951320/todays-best-discovery-sony-wants-to-patent-a-ps3-move-controller-that-gets-hot-or-cold

I usually don't believe in Kotaku because they lie a lot (I still find them funny for trying to tell Final Fantasy versus XIII was canceled just to beait Square-Enix for infos) but really, they actually have a source in that article (now that's a shocker).
---
Trying to contain the chaos is futile.
#26Ebak_the_catPosted 1/3/2013 2:26:21 PM
Eoin posted...
scroogeu posted...
New/used are only 5 bucks different in price, why wouldn't you buy new all the time?

- Trading games with friends
- Loaning games to/from a friend
- Bringing a game to a friend's house for multiplayer
- Selling games to fund new game purchases
- Buying used copies of fairly rare games
- Buying a used copy of an out-of-print game

I do really believe that Sony will actually prevent used games from working on the PS4. We had exactly the same story for the PS3 (exactly the same, including the existence of a patent). However, anyone defending or excusing the idea of a block on used games is wrong. There's many, many reasons why this should never happen.

Most of those are valid reasons. I get the whole loaning to friends and trading etc and bringing it over. I don't agree with selling the games to fund new game purchases as I have said in a previous post. I do however agree about rare and out of print games.

However I do think we don't have enough info on this, as someone said before, Sony patented an idea of a tablet controller and we never ever saw that. This could be them covering their flank should a need to do this arise in the future. Does that mean they won't do it? No, I will just reserve my judgement till i have more infromation with context. Plus for the sake of argument, there are many reasons why this should never happen....there are also equally good reasons for why it should happen. Every used game sale is money going into the pocket of the store and not the actual developers or distributors. It costs a lot of money to make and a game should ideally make back what it cost to produce. However if people are buying used games instead of buying a brand new copy, then they fall ever so closer to falling short of their earnings. If a game doesn't earn its money back, there is little chance of a squel, disappointing those that invested in it and so forth.

Yes you can argue its a bad thing, but you can also argue for this being a good thing, try and look from both sides of the fence and not be selfish and only look out for yourself and the side your on.
---
Video Game Design Graduate - University Campus Suffolk - Class of 2012
#27EoinPosted 1/3/2013 2:27:21 PM
LinkinLawg posted...
Pulling something like this would be suicide to the Playstation brand. The 599USD price tag for Ps3 was bad enough. If they do something like this, they better lower the price of new games.

Yes, I really don't think they'll be that stupid. They were badly wrong in their estimation of how the public would receive the PS3 and I'd like to think they learned at least something.

Having said that, if they block used games, it won't matter for me what they do with the price of new games. Even though I don't buy used games anyway, I would not support this kind of consumer restriction, in any form.
#28Ebak_the_catPosted 1/3/2013 2:30:06 PM(edited)
Eoin posted...
Ebak_the_cat posted...
However my main problem with that is the money lost to the developer, publisher/distributer

No.

No money is "lost".

If I spend money on a used game, the publisher did not "lose" that money. They just didn't gain it. Please don't fall for word tricks. If you spend money on something you like instead of giving it to me, I do not "lose" anything. The publishers get money from the first sale and that is all that they are entitled to.

Yes, but that person who bought a used game could have bought the game new and caused the company to gain something.

A new game is bought = Company and the Gamer gain

A used game is bought = Company gains nothing while the gamer gains a game they could have potentially bought new and given the company some gain.

The company didn't loose anything as you say since the game has already been sold, but they lost out on a potential sale which is still loosing out in the long run.
---
Video Game Design Graduate - University Campus Suffolk - Class of 2012
#29uwishuwereme17Posted 1/3/2013 2:28:34 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#30NintendologicalPosted 1/3/2013 2:29:21 PM
Even if Playstation was not mentioned, it would be the only likely application of the technology. I'm sure Sony isn't out to curb used Blu Ray sales. They'd be happy if people just bought more Blu Ray players (DVD still dominates and online video streaming is catching up). There is no point to locking audio cds because those are on their way out (this year, digital albums are expected to outsell physical albums).

There is always that off chance...but given the degree of speculation and controversy surrounding used games, DRM and ways to handle both, it isn't a far stretch...
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia