This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

HOLY ****!!! SONY just confirmed no used games on PS4.

#41TheCyborgNinjaPosted 1/3/2013 2:59:06 PM
If everything with a patent was made, there'd be millions of more products in existence...
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#42vu_cometPosted 1/3/2013 3:01:01 PM
TheCyborgNinja posted...
If everything with a patent was made, there'd be millions of more products in existence...

Sometimes companies create patents to keep other companies from exploiting it.
---
With your bad back, I don't think you should be picking up any girls.
I went ice fishing the other day and all I caught was a cold.
#43DeadorDead8Posted 1/3/2013 3:01:37 PM
HOLY ****!!! SONY just dug their own grave.
---
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/200/1314405535picsay.jpg/
#44vu_cometPosted 1/3/2013 3:03:48 PM
There will be too many negative scenarios for them to want to actually use this technology.
---
With your bad back, I don't think you should be picking up any girls.
I went ice fishing the other day and all I caught was a cold.
#45ShinXaguraPosted 1/3/2013 3:05:15 PM
vu_comet posted...
Eoin posted...
Ebak_the_cat posted...
However my main problem with that is the money lost to the developer, publisher/distributer

No.

No money is "lost".

If I spend money on a used game, the publisher did not "lose" that money. They just didn't gain it. Please don't fall for word tricks. If you spend money on something you like instead of giving it to me, I do not "lose" anything. The publishers get money from the first sale and that is all that they are entitled to.

This should have ended the topic. Publishers don't sell used games, they sell new ones. Therefore in order for a game to become used, a new one had to be purchased. Publishers are paid by the retailers, not the consumer.

This. I agree. All games start from new.
---
You must defeat my SCREAMING DRAGON BULLET to stand a chance.
#46riddlebox89Posted 1/3/2013 3:05:37 PM
Ebak_the_cat posted...
Blahh blahh blahh

What an uneducated jackass post, I mean really, you talk as if used games and used DVD's are like oil and water, where they're not, they're both media products that are bought and sold used, the retailer you buy it from brand new is the one that pays for every copy of the game or DVD that they order, meaning it's paid for before it's even on store shelves, publishers get VERY little from retailer sales, the bulk of their profits come from the retailers ordering the games, not the consumers purchasing them.

So no, someone buying a used game does not make them "lose" a sale, because the game was already bought and paid for, yeah they get a little profit after the retailer sells it to the consumer, but they're not entitled to anything after that.

And lol at saying you'll still buy a PS4 if they end up pulling this garbage with it, do you have any idea how big of a blind deaf and dumb tool that makes you? Did you just forget that first run consoles have higher failure rates than other versions of that console released later? What happens if they actually do this and the games are tied to your console instead of your PSN ID then the console stops working for whatever reason? Would you really willingly go to the store, buy a brand new console and brand new copies of every game you bought for it? No, only a moron would do that.

And then what if, three to five years down the road, you decide you wanted a game that was released years ago and can no longer find it brand new because it's out of print? Blocking out used games would mean giving you the finger and saying "Oh you didn't want it when it was new? Well f*** you then!"

scroogeu posted...
New/used are only 5 bucks different in price, why wouldn't you buy new all the time?

One major problem with your post, Gamestop isn't the only place people buy used games, and it's not just buying a game used that is affected by blocking them out, what if you want to lend/sell it to someone you know? Like if you and your sister who lives with you both have your own console and she wants to borrow one of your games for a few days, what are you going to do? Trade consoles!? And what if they make it so the games are tied to the console and not your PSN ID and your console breaks down? Would you really buy your entire library of games twice if your console breaks down and you can't play your games anymore because they were tied to the console?

Seriously, of all the dumb things people would be in favor of, this is one of the absolute stupidest, if they do this with the PS4 and you buy it, you are nothing less than a blind deaf and dumb tool.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#47Stanger5150Posted 1/3/2013 3:07:30 PM
Ebak_the_cat posted...
Even if this were 100% confirmed and true I'd still but a PS4 and urge people to do the same. I respect that there are indeed a lot of people out there who buy all their games used or people who resale their games after playing them.

However my main problem with that is the money lost to the developer, publisher/distributer etc. Money that can then be put back into the development of more games, pripherals etc. People say that its no different to reselling a DVD of a movie or TV series. Yes, but the people who made or distribute those get most of their money from cinema box offices and the original TV run.

Used games is something that is causing harm to the development side of the industry and there are reasons developers are seeking to work around it by locking of certain parts of the game to the people who purchase the game new. I feel that is somewhat fair, if you pay less yet still get the exact same product its not really fair to those that spend a lot on the brand new release, which is usually what online passes and day 1 free DLC is around for.

I buy games new and I keep my games because I can afford to and because I don't like trading in a game because I like to replay games, even if its sevearl years later. I know not everyone does that, but gaming is a privilage passtime and there are others out there not so lucky as all of us yet we take advantage of it, we should be supporting the industry...then they wouldn't be pulling stunts like this to force used game sales to stop (if this is indeed true).

I'm trying to not sound like a **** but people should try and buy thier games new and not buy pre-owned games. Still getting a PS4, still have my respect for sony (until/unless they confirm this, then that respect will take a hit).

For most if us, it isn't about not being able to buy cheap games or resell them.

It's about the system being useless in 15-20 years, long after new games are no longer printed. It would be the first temporary gaming console in history, and would have no retro market. That is bull****.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Final Fantasy, Alice: Madness Returns, The Walking Dead, Far Cry 3, Contra III, Okami HD
#48Stanger5150Posted 1/3/2013 3:16:18 PM
vu_comet posted...
Eoin posted...
Ebak_the_cat posted...
However my main problem with that is the money lost to the developer, publisher/distributer

No.

No money is "lost".

If I spend money on a used game, the publisher did not "lose" that money. They just didn't gain it. Please don't fall for word tricks. If you spend money on something you like instead of giving it to me, I do not "lose" anything. The publishers get money from the first sale and that is all that they are entitled to.

This should have ended the topic. Publishers don't sell used games, they sell new ones. Therefore in order for a game to become used, a new one had to be purchased. Publishers are paid by the retailers, not the consumer.

Eoin and vu_comet are right, and have stated the only facts in this thread.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Final Fantasy, Alice: Madness Returns, The Walking Dead, Far Cry 3, Contra III, Okami HD
#49NintendologicalPosted 1/3/2013 3:17:06 PM
Stanger5150 posted...

It's about the system being useless in 15-20 years, long after new games are no longer printed. It would be the first temporary gaming console in history, and would have no retro market. That is bull****.

Of course there will be a retro market. It's called emulation. Things like MAME exist for just this type of situation. Game curation is something that has little regard in this industry. Some of the best games would be long forgotten or very difficult to play if not for emulators.
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#50Stanger5150Posted 1/3/2013 3:19:13 PM
riddlebox89 posted...
Ebak_the_cat posted...
Blahh blahh blahh

What an uneducated jackass post, I mean really, you talk as if used games and used DVD's are like oil and water, where they're not, they're both media products that are bought and sold used, the retailer you buy it from brand new is the one that pays for every copy of the game or DVD that they order, meaning it's paid for before it's even on store shelves, publishers get VERY little from retailer sales, the bulk of their profits come from the retailers ordering the games, not the consumers purchasing them.

So no, someone buying a used game does not make them "lose" a sale, because the game was already bought and paid for, yeah they get a little profit after the retailer sells it to the consumer, but they're not entitled to anything after that.

And lol at saying you'll still buy a PS4 if they end up pulling this garbage with it, do you have any idea how big of a blind deaf and dumb tool that makes you? Did you just forget that first run consoles have higher failure rates than other versions of that console released later? What happens if they actually do this and the games are tied to your console instead of your PSN ID then the console stops working for whatever reason? Would you really willingly go to the store, buy a brand new console and brand new copies of every game you bought for it? No, only a moron would do that.

And then what if, three to five years down the road, you decide you wanted a game that was released years ago and can no longer find it brand new because it's out of print? Blocking out used games would mean giving you the finger and saying "Oh you didn't want it when it was new? Well f*** you then!"

scroogeu posted...
New/used are only 5 bucks different in price, why wouldn't you buy new all the time?

One major problem with your post, Gamestop isn't the only place people buy used games, and it's not just buying a game used that is affected by blocking them out, what if you want to lend/sell it to someone you know? Like if you and your sister who lives with you both have your own console and she wants to borrow one of your games for a few days, what are you going to do? Trade consoles!? And what if they make it so the games are tied to the console and not your PSN ID and your console breaks down? Would you really buy your entire library of games twice if your console breaks down and you can't play your games anymore because they were tied to the console?

Seriously, of all the dumb things people would be in favor of, this is one of the absolute stupidest, if they do this with the PS4 and you buy it, you are nothing less than a blind deaf and dumb tool.

riddlebox is also speaking the truth.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782