This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

HOLY ****!!! SONY just confirmed no used games on PS4.

#81shawnmckPosted 1/3/2013 7:42:10 PM
Just because they patented the concept doe NOT mean that they "confirmed" it.
They might utilize it, but then again they might not.
#82furrybeaversPosted 1/3/2013 7:44:50 PM
Somebody on IGN said something that made a lot of sense.

When you buy a game (which is software), the only thing you actually OWN is the plastic disc/cartridge. You are simply licensing the software for use. I never really thought of it that way, and I'm no law expert, but that sounds about right.

Also, wouldn't this be considered illegal on certain fronts? For used game stores (The Exchange specifically) it's like Sony is going to their front door saying "Sorry, you can't do this anymore." Isn't supply/demand (for rare or out of print games) and sale/resale the basis of our entire economy?

If they do implement this absurd idea, Sony will fall. Guaranteed.
---
Currently: Catching up on my Netflix Instant Queue, and Uncharted 3, Skyrim, Tales of Graces F
Care less, have power
#83darkstar4221Posted 1/3/2013 8:32:28 PM(edited)
furrybeavers posted...
Somebody on IGN said something that made a lot of sense.

When you buy a game (which is software), the only thing you actually OWN is the plastic disc/cartridge. You are simply licensing the software for use. I never really thought of it that way, and I'm no law expert, but that sounds about right.

Also, wouldn't this be considered illegal on certain fronts? For used game stores (The Exchange specifically) it's like Sony is going to their front door saying "Sorry, you can't do this anymore." Isn't supply/demand (for rare or out of print games) and sale/resale the basis of our entire economy?

If they do implement this absurd idea, Sony will fall. Guaranteed.

No that's not right at all, IGN are a bunch tools who discourage at the thought of "piracy". If video game publishers charge $100 for a video game they would think it's okay. **** IGN. The mandatory software licensing laws which should be repealed, is a prime example of too much copyright, and violates actual property rights.
#84Dersu_UzalaPosted 1/3/2013 11:46:28 PM
If video game publishers charge $100 for a video game they would think it's okay. **** IGN.

That's already how much new PS360 games go for in Japan and Australia on average, by the way.
#854dfmaEFPosted 1/4/2013 1:27:04 AM
People should really learn what a patent is: A commercial protection of your idea, not a guarantee for a future technology.
---
To keep is what I long for.