This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Used games have been gone from PC gaming for a long time

#101drointhewindPosted 1/3/2013 9:10:55 PM
I purchase games and crack them so I don't have to deal with the DRM. Simple and clean people
---
On DLC: ""You know what would make this better? Paying more money."- Cracked.com
#102VanderZooPosted 1/3/2013 9:11:45 PM
Oh, and if we're talking about DRM, lest we forget Diablo 3. If a console game is ever that bad we're in trouble.
#103MarquisRyizPosted 1/3/2013 9:22:21 PM(edited)
i like how people think that giving money to gamestop is = to giving money to the developers, news flash guys the developers still dont see any money

I'll explain again.

The developers got their money from Gamestop a week before the game arrives in stores.

It's really that simple. What the customer buys from that point on has nothing to do with the developers.

If the fact that gaming companies are looking for a way to stop used games like they are isn't proof enough that used games hurt them as much as pirated games.

In terms of gamestop/ebay. I traded in some games, brought and went back and traded in recent released games used, with a high chance someone got it after me. That's two potential sales the developers. Imagine that being done multiple times. All of those trade ins money they will never see. I'm sure in their eyes that's a loss.

Look at this in terms of trading with friends. "Back in the day" when I was a heavy console player, me and my friends would buy and trade games among each other (6 of us at the time) unless we wanted to play together. 1 game, a minimum of at least 4 people playing it from different homes. (Everyone in the group might not care for a game) This is not counting people outside our little group we let hold the game. All of his is loss in the eyes of publishers and developers. Money they'll never see.

While legal in accordance to the law, it's just as bad as piracy for the publishers and developers (it's not hard to find quotes of developers stating this.) These are sell loss. If you sell 2 million copies of games and say..65% of them are traded, loaned out, or resold that's a potential 1.3 million in sales loss. This on top of pirated games, millions more lost.

While I'll personally never support it. I can understand where and see why statements like Used games=piracy. Not completely accurate but understandable.

It's like pirates defending piracy here. A lack of logic and reasoning to see where the other side is coming from. You don't have to agree with it, but you should try and understand it.
#104BlackWizardMagusPosted 1/3/2013 9:24:27 PM
Used games are awesome, and in fact, that is one reason I never became a big PC gamer; since I'm unable to try games out for free, like I do with console games (buy them from GS, return in 7 days), I just never wanted to bother. Now, I know PC sales are awesome, but only digitally downloaded games, in ways that have far too many problems (codes not working, too many accounts, getting banned because of a glitch, etc). Frankly, PC gaming is far easier and more streamlined 90% of the time...then that other 10% is a nightmare (mileage may vary depending on personal knowledge and whatnot). Ever since I bought Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition, played it for two days, then was locked out for an entire weekend because the server with the Origin accounts glitched out, I've just never had faith in being required to have internet access and lacking physical disks.

All that being said, console and PC gaming is merging, and eventually, it'll all be the same. We better get used to it. I wouldn't be too suprised if the next generation of consoles is the last.
---
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus
#105Devil_wings00Posted 1/3/2013 9:28:38 PM
And they are well compensated for there loss by offering constant deals across many websites daily. No one with a sane mind thinks that if the PS4 locks out used games that anything of the sort will happen because of the whole retail end of thing. It's a simple process to put a sale on steam or anywhere else: Publisher/Developer contact steam or vice versa, they agree on a discount they are willing to do, steam changes price and done. Any sales on consoles are pretty much up to the retail outlet that's selling the game. Console players will in no way benefit from locking used games out only devs and publishers will. Steam is also account locked so you can use it on any computer you want while the proposed tech that Sony patented would lock the disk to one console and that game useless outside of that machine. It would be much worse then what PC people have to deal with but with absolutely ZERO benefit to the consumer. They are literally f***ing you in the *** and you've bought into the propaganda so bad that your cool with it.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#106shawnmckPosted 1/3/2013 9:29:48 PM
People would trade in used games a LOT less if the games were any good (had replay value).
So the answer to used games is for the Developers to MAKE BETTER GAMES !

If you support anti-used game nonsense...then you are in effect supporting the practice of Developers being able to screw over the consumer by releasing shoddy, crappy, or even mediocre games.

The fact is that games that are really good are traded in a lot less.
You never hear the companies or Developers of games like Skyrim, Mass Effect, Borderlands, Halo, Uncharted, etc complaining about the used video-game market...
Nah, its always the crooked Devs that churn out crap like Brink, RE: Operation Raccoon City, Army of Two, Kane & Lynch, & etc.

All you anti-used game zealots are basically the pawns of cheap-ass Developers that won't bother to make good quality games.
Because if you get your way, then that's who benefit.
The Devs who make good games are going to get their profits anyway...they always do.
Its the Devs who make the worst games that scream about piracy and used games the loudest.

And lets not overlook the fact that many NEW game sales are funded by the trading in of used games.
No used games is going to equate to people buying fewer games.
So you anti-used game zealots are nothing but tools.
#107SilverWingZetaPosted 1/3/2013 9:46:34 PM
Stanger5150 posted...
PC games are cheaper, and will be forward compatible as well. Not a fair comparison.

Nope, that is wrong. Unless it's patched to run on a newer OS older games don't run on newer machines well. Hell I have some games few years old that runs poorly on my machine, yet I can play games from today at max settings
---
Sometimes I just watch the boards burn
http://thewindyloung.blogspot.com/ (new review Persona 4 Golden)
#108ShineboxerPosted 1/3/2013 9:48:13 PM
SilverWingZeta posted...
Stanger5150 posted...
PC games are cheaper, and will be forward compatible as well. Not a fair comparison.

Nope, that is wrong. Unless it's patched to run on a newer OS older games don't run on newer machines well. Hell I have some games few years old that runs poorly on my machine, yet I can play games from today at max settings

Nope, I can still play old games perfectly.
#109lambchipsPosted 1/3/2013 9:49:23 PM
SilverWingZeta posted...

never heard of emulating os?
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#110DawnshadowPosted 1/3/2013 9:52:35 PM
Stealthlys posted...
Used game buyer=pirate.

By that logic, if I go to a consignment store and buy a sweater, am I a sweater pirate?

If I buy a dining room table off Craigslist, am I a table pirate?

If I buy my sister's old iPhone off her when the iPhone 6 comes out, am I a phone pirate?
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/