This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Used games have been gone from PC gaming for a long time

#111Lunitik MuzikPosted 1/3/2013 10:32:09 PM
VanderZoo posted...
1. DRM is a big issue. Trying to play liberty city stories on PC was a mess. I bought it on steam, then it asks me to create a rockstar account, then I had to sign in with a windows live account (steam, rockstar, windows live... three accounts just to play one game).

They give me a cd key to enter.... it doesn't work. I try again, doesn't work. Then I have to go online, go to the forums, look up if other people have had the same issue (many have), I have to click on links to other threads where people have posted the fix. I have to download some windows game client, log into that, then do some other crap within that client that I can't remember.

Finally, I go back to the game and the CD key works....

It was a nightmare, you know how I played GTA IV on the 360? I just put the disc in and played it. Issues like that have never happened on a console.

Every ubisoft game needs a uplay account, every blizzard game needs battle.net, every EA game needs Origin.... All these different clients on PC which is really DRM in disguise. On consoles, you just put the game in and play.

While I understand and agree that it's frustrating, it's one game; and a notoriously mishandled port at that, that's since been fixed.

EA and Ubi, yeah you need an account, but I'm also spammed with messages about creating an account on consoles, my games slower to load because it's attempting to log into a server, or whatever dumb crap they backload it with; and if I want to play multiplayer I'm forced to sign up. They want to push their service on everyone. That's just who they are. It has nothing to do with PC gaming. If it bothers you, you shouldn't be supporting either company.

Battle.net is an entirely different beast compared to Steam, Origin, or Uplay.

With other developers it isn't so bad. Most are using Steam, abandoning DRM altogether, or in some cases leaving the choice up to the consumer(Witcher 2). You get a GFWL game every now and then, but it's being ignored for the most part.

They're learning to go about using DRM in better ways, or just not using it at all, and giving consumers better reasons to purchice the game. That's why I said it isn't even that big of an issue anymore. Could they do better? Of course, but we're past what seems to be the worst part of it. Even Ubisoft abandoned their always online garbage.

2. I don't understand your point. If I buy a game on PC, it has to be brand new, and I can only use it on my system (some exceptions like the witcher 2). If I buy a game on a console, I can do whatever I want with it.

1. My point was the whole "ownership" argument is crap. Maybe I mistook your point, sorry. Every time I see this conversation you have a person who will argue that gamers who download games don't actually own them; completely missing the fact that despite owning a physical copy, they are in the same boat as far as owning game goes.

2. You don't have to buy a PC game new. However, with the way PC games are constantly on sale there's no reason not to.

3. I can load up my Steam, GoG, Amazon etc. accounts anywhere I want and install games. I've not had an issue yet. Not saying it doesn't happen though.
#112NicodimusPosted 1/3/2013 10:40:24 PM
If I buy a dining room table off Craigslist, am I a table pirate?

Stay where you are! I have notified the authorities, and your flagrant acts of TABLE PIRACY will not be suffered on this forum!
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#113AsellusPosted 1/3/2013 11:03:04 PM
Case and CPU (eg. 3570k) is like 300 dollars give or take 50 bucks depending on your case.

You don't need a 3570k. You don't need a GTX 680. You don't need 32 GBs of ram. There's always something bigger and better out there, if not actively available then coming soon on the horizon. You'll do just fine without it though.

1. DRM is a big issue. Trying to play liberty city stories on PC was a mess. I bought it on steam, then it asks me to create a rockstar account, then I had to sign in with a windows live account (steam, rockstar, windows live... three accounts just to play one game).

What he said though was that it's become less an issue which does seem to be the trend. Ubisoft abandoned their always-on drm scheme. Steamworks has pretty much become the standard these days.

Diablo 3 might stand out as an odd outlier but it's a Blizzard title, people will tolerate abuse from them for some reason.
#114NintendologicalPosted 1/4/2013 12:10:41 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#115AsucaHayashiPosted 1/4/2013 3:33:17 AM
Nintendological posted...
VanderZoo posted...

PC's are still far worse when it comes to DRM and the actual ownership of your games

You don't have a clue. While it is true that there are some draconian DRM measures on the PC, they are a non-issue. For instance, I have the Windows version of Street Fighter x Tekken, which "requires" Games for Windows Live as its DRM scheme. I am an OS X user and I prefer to not use bootcamp and run Windows, so I found a wrapper and a patch that allow for a no-disc, no-DRM install of the game.

Now I can play Street Fighter x Tekken on my Mac as if it were a native app. It took all of 30 seconds of searching Bing. There are so many widely available cracks that allow you to patch out DRM.

Then there are places like GOG that actually sell DRM free content. From where I stand, I have no ownership problems, even if companies attempt to force upon me their crappy DRM schemes. I'll find a patch and remove the DRM and just like that, I can use my legally purchased game as I so wish.

it's actually quite funny because he's a big fan of xbox 360/microsoft whilst at the same time being completely ignorant of what they're actually trying to do to PC gaming... and off he goes on a rant that he had to go through a painful process of being able to play GTA4 which is a game associated with GFWL(the rockstar live account is a skippable process).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=q6p8qz6wv8M#t=374s

tbh it's plain ignorance that will be the death of this industry.
---
If console gaming is so cheap then why do I have to spend $600~ in order to play Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 3 and Halo 3?
#116killakPosted 1/4/2013 3:37:23 AM
If PS3 game prices plummet, Sony will win that generation, easily.

Games don't cost as much on PC, especially on Steam, so if the devs and publishers realise they can never really lose a dollar, they could slash their game price standard and absolutely bury the competition.
---
My instant game collection - http://tinyurl.com/dxq27an
Then after finding more games around the living room - http://tinyurl.com/bh64f4a
#117SilverWingZetaPosted 1/5/2013 8:14:48 AM
lambchips posted...
SilverWingZeta posted...
Nope, that is wrong. Unless it's patched to run on a newer OS older games don't run on newer machines well. Hell I have some games few years old that runs poorly on my machine, yet I can play games from today at max settings

never heard of emulating os?

Yes I have, doesn't make it forward compatible with the OS you are running it on. And again some games need patching to work on newer OSes (like Never Winter Night for example). Or need a emulator because the OS doesn't support the coding of the game (like DosBOX).
---
Sometimes I just watch the boards burn
http://thewindyloung.blogspot.com/ (new review Persona 4 Golden)
#118StealthlysPosted 1/5/2013 8:18:54 AM
Dawnshadow posted...
Stealthlys posted...
Used game buyer=pirate.

By that logic, if I go to a consignment store and buy a sweater, am I a sweater pirate?

If I buy my sister's old iPhone off her when the iPhone 6 comes out, am I a phone pirate?

You are hurting the industry, so yea.
#119king_maddenPosted 1/5/2013 11:48:42 AM
Stealthlys posted...
Dawnshadow posted...
Stealthlys posted...
Used game buyer=pirate.

By that logic, if I go to a consignment store and buy a sweater, am I a sweater pirate?

If I buy my sister's old iPhone off her when the iPhone 6 comes out, am I a phone pirate?

You are hurting the industry, so yea.

dont you just love when people use terrible analogies, for industries that arent the same as video games?

"well they both say used so they must be identical enough to compare".
#120PaladinrjaPosted 1/5/2013 12:33:01 PM
Ryu X posted...
Now that Sony has patented new tech to stop used games on consoles everyone seems to be complaining. But the thing is that its been that way for PC games for ages. You can't resell or trade in a PC game. Nobody really complains about this.

I see people say some dumb stuff like how they are going to buy a Steam Box or go PC only next gen. instead of PS4 Well guess what if you bought a Steam Box or go PC only you won't have your used games either.

Thats only because of activation keys. Many games will still allow an install, you have to purchase a new key to activate.
This is more about BC on consoles forcing consumers to pay top dollar for gaming.
You watch. EA et al will spin activation codes for those that purchase titles 2nd hand. Considering netbox & Orbis must be connected at all times (if thats true) have either then, got a disk drive anymore?