This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Used games have been gone from PC gaming for a long time

#41FiendingHardPosted 1/3/2013 7:13:38 PM
Shineboxer posted...
Motsu posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...
PC gamers have lost what I liked

which is what exactly?

from where i'm standing the PC platform is the most pro-consumer platform of the bunch where the relationship between the supplier and the ones in demand are at an almost perfect balance given the current state of gaming.

No controller. (Don't care if you can mod it or whatever, I am not a technological nerd like that)
Not so many disc-based games anymore.
Online passes, which aren't new, I don't like those, and want no part of them.
Online subscriptions, which console games don't and haven't had until semi-recent.
....for starters.

I want a console, not a PC. If I wanted a PC, I would get a gaming PC, not a console. Since I want console games, I want to be offered what a console should be offering, not what a PC offers.

People go around acting like everyone who owns a console has been gaming on their PC just as long, when in reality, that is far from true. It isn't that I am not used to it, it is that I don't, and will not ever want those things happening. Since I have no control over it, and obviously all of that WILL be happening, I will save my 60+ dollars a game and find a cheaper hobby.

Good, plain ignorance, simple and a good methodology for the lazy.

QFT. No controllers on PC huh? Don't even know why I read the rest of that idiotic post.
---
What is faith then but persistent hope in the face of relentless doubt.
Now Playing: Far Cry 3, NFS Most Wanted, ZoE HD Collection, Final Fantasy 9.
#42AsellusPosted 1/3/2013 7:14:52 PM
No controller. (Don't care if you can mod it or whatever, I am not a technological nerd like that)

... sorry? No idea what you mean here, the vast majority of games released on pc for the past four or five years have had native controller support. It's not a universiality (though you can use say xpadder to map controller buttons to mirror keyboard / mouse movements to make it so) but in virtually any title where a controller would be an appropriate method of control it's available as an option.

Somewhat, the market does seem to be moving away from them. There's a lot more steps associated in making a boxed product and getting it to a store shelf than there are in digital distributions and the profit margin's quite a lot less.

Not really sure what you mean here again. We don't have "online passes" - most games do have individual keys associated with them but buying from say Steam means they're automatically handled.

Online subscriptions, which console games don't and haven't had until semi-recent.

Those are pretty much solely associated with MMOs.If you don't like MMOs in the first place why would it bother you?
#43Joehop007Posted 1/3/2013 7:17:04 PM
Ryu X posted...
Now that Sony has patented new tech to stop used games on consoles everyone seems to be complaining. But the thing is that its been that way for PC games for ages. You can't resell or trade in a PC game. Nobody really complains about this.

I see people say some dumb stuff like how they are going to buy a Steam Box or go PC only next gen. instead of PS4 Well guess what if you bought a Steam Box or go PC only you won't have your used games either.

You wanna know why no one complains? Its because games on the PC is cheap and I mean DIRT cheap. On Steam there are sales going on every day. Digital distribution on consoles however is not the same. for the most part you'll often find games that will be at full retail price for quite a long time and hardly any deals or sales. Nintendo is actually being really smart with the Wii U when it comes to Indie Developers and the eShop. Indie developers have the choice to name their own price on the eShop at any time.
---
"Broke my pipe on some fatass" - RPG_Apostle
#44Fou LuPosted 1/3/2013 7:41:55 PM
I don't get the fuss. You don't want to pay full price, wait for it to go on sale. Yeah, you won't be able to play it right away, but you save money in doing so. That's what I've always done except if it's a game I really want.

Game developers whining about used sales is pointless because what I just said screws them out of money as well. I don't buy a game right away, they don't get a sale, and that could be the deciding factor for whether or not they get fired or not. So go ahead and whine, you're not getting all my money since I just wait for price drops.
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#45Sevi_neyPosted 1/3/2013 7:45:37 PM
Ryu X posted...
Now that Sony has patented new tech to stop used games on consoles everyone seems to be complaining. But the thing is that its been that way for PC games for ages. You can't resell or trade in a PC game. Nobody really complains about this.

I see people say some dumb stuff like how they are going to buy a Steam Box or go PC only next gen. instead of PS4 Well guess what if you bought a Steam Box or go PC only you won't have your used games either.

Most people aren't solely PC gamers though. That's why it's never been an issue. If all consoles went that route, there would be an issue. PC is in another league anyway.
---
I got into game design because I loved kids. I wanted to make them happy and give them something fun to do. Now I want them all to die. ~ game designer Totality
#46shawnmckPosted 1/3/2013 7:55:13 PM(edited)
And console games are more lucrative than PC games are....so what's your point ?

The reason why you see so many PC games being ported over to consoles is because they can make a lot more money on consoles then they can on PC.

So PC games not having as much used game market is somewhat irrelevant.

And you are wrong when you claim that "used games have been gone from PC gaming for a long time"....
Just check ebay...you can find plenty of used PC games for sale.
Gamestop just doesn't touch them because they can't make their money back from them.
But they are alive & well on places like ebay & Amazon.
#47AsucaHayashiPosted 1/3/2013 7:57:30 PM(edited)

already debunked

valid but it's all for the better... there would be no possible way that i would be able to get access to deals like this were it not for the digital revolution of PC games:
http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=186615

$70

-- QuakeCon Pack Included Games --
BRINK
Call of Cthulhu®: Dark Corners of the Earth
Commander Keen
DOOM 3
DOOM 3 Resurrection of Evil
DOOM II
Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition
Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money
Fallout New Vegas: Honest Hearts
Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues
Fallout: New Vegas
Final DOOM
Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders
HeXen II
HeXen: Beyond Heretic
HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel
Hunted: The Demon’s Forge™
Master Levels for Doom II
QUAKE
QUAKE II
QUAKE II Mission Pack: Ground Zero
QUAKE II Mission Pack: The Reckoning
Quake III Arena
QUAKE III: Team Arena
Quake IV
QUAKE Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon
QUAKE Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Rogue Warrior
Spear of Destiny
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind® Game of the Year Edition
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion® Game of the Year Edition
The Ultimate Doom
Wolfenstein 3D

, I will save my 60+ dollars a game and find a cheaper hobby.

yeah, it's called PC gaming.

good thing then that it's entirely a console game concept and has nothing to do with PC gaming. online passes were specifically created as a concept to combat used game sales on consoles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_pass

....for starters.

subscription based games are an absolute minority on PC and only apply to consistent online gaming worlds which require server upkeep and maintenance, namely for MMORPGs.

the worst offenders for online subscriptions came at the hand of console developers and/or publlishers.

-the FPS genre which had no subscription before was suddenly tagged with a subscription service in the form of CoD elite due to its popularity with console gamers.

-Xbox live Gold is the first online concept in history to charge consumers for general online play(and not just access to a server-based game like an MMO)... created by microsoft for the xbox console.

I want a console, not a PC. If I wanted a PC, I would get a gaming PC, not a console. Since I want console games, I want to be offered what a console should be offering, not what a PC offers.

good for you that you want a console... however, i don't see how this has anything to do with you wanting "options" as i've already proven to you just how much you've been stripped of it on the platforms that you desire.

so to sum up my entire post i'll just quote another user:
Good, plain ignorance, simple and a good methodology for the lazy.
---
If console gaming is so cheap then why do I have to spend $600~ in order to play Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 3 and Halo 3?
#48gybugyPosted 1/3/2013 7:57:32 PM
jubjub360 posted...
DarkShadowRage posted...
The reason why you can't sell back used PC games is because you can install them and that's it. stupid topic.

No it's because of DRMs.

Both you can easily get one of those programs that lets you put a virtual cd in so all you have to do is make the cd a virtual CD and voila

DRM depends alot of games you can get DRM free (mostly indie though)
---
If the opposite of SKY=EARTH and the opposite of RIM=MIDDLE? then does the opposite of SKYRIM=MIDDLEEARTH?!
#49gamerboy100Posted 1/3/2013 8:04:01 PM
Ryu X posted...

That is EXACTLY why I went to game consoles and quit PC gaming.
#50StealthlysPosted 1/3/2013 8:05:38 PM
If you buy used games you are as equal as a pirate.

The only exception is discontinued games, unless they remade em.

Used game buyer=pirate.