This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Used games have been gone from PC gaming for a long time

#71IHeartMetroidPosted 1/3/2013 8:51:23 PM
"You can't resell or trade in a PC game. Nobody really complains about this."

Ahem.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Video-Games-/139973/i.html?_dcat=139973&Platform=PC&rt=nc

93,857 active listings...
#72AsucaHayashiPosted 1/3/2013 8:53:04 PM
VanderZoo posted...
PC has set a lot of trends that aren't necessarily good for consoles (DRM, installations, patches). The whole point of a console is that they're quick, easy and convenient. I was shocked when the Wii U came and had to have a 5 hour patch for the system and for it's games on day 1.

That's not what console gaming is suppose to be about.

article i posted earlier:
http://tinyurl.com/43p7a82

Hilariously, the gap between consoles and PCs has finally been bridged, but in totally the wrong way. Rather than catch up to the positive aspects of PC gaming, console developers/publishers have started competing for the negatives. From where Im standing, the consoles are winning that miserable war, too. In the fight over who can have the most egregious updates, the shoddiest business practices, and the biggest f*** yous communicated to paying customers, it seems consoles may end this generation as the winners by a mile

there have been a tremendous amount of problems with console gaming in recent times(namely this entire gen and from the looks of the wii u, the next one also) and it's only because the problems have nothing to do with the actual quality of the games that i still stick with them.
---
If console gaming is so cheap then why do I have to spend $600~ in order to play Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 3 and Halo 3?
#73Gandalf the IstariPosted 1/3/2013 8:55:18 PM
Piracy is about 1000x as rampant for pc games as it is for console games also. And that's with cheaper prices for games, which would not likely be a situation copied to consoles.

In my opinion it's likely to backfire - I pick up a lot of things used/reduced price late on and then get into a series and become a day 1 buyer after that. Honestly If a developer is going to attempt to forcibly squeeze 60$ +20-40$ in story dlc then I'm going to end up playing fewer series and buy fewer games overall.
#74VanderZooPosted 1/3/2013 9:08:25 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
VanderZoo posted...
PC has set a lot of trends that aren't necessarily good for consoles (DRM, installations, patches). The whole point of a console is that they're quick, easy and convenient. I was shocked when the Wii U came and had to have a 5 hour patch for the system and for it's games on day 1.

That's not what console gaming is suppose to be about.

article i posted earlier:
http://tinyurl.com/43p7a82

Hilariously, the gap between consoles and PCs has finally been bridged, but in totally the wrong way. Rather than catch up to the positive aspects of PC gaming, console developers/publishers have started competing for the negatives. From where Im standing, the consoles are winning that miserable war, too. In the fight over who can have the most egregious updates, the shoddiest business practices, and the biggest f*** yous communicated to paying customers, it seems consoles may end this generation as the winners by a mile

there have been a tremendous amount of problems with console gaming in recent times(namely this entire gen and from the looks of the wii u, the next one also) and it's only because the problems have nothing to do with the actual quality of the games that i still stick with them.

You're a PC fanboy, that's the way you want to see things. PC's are still far worse when it comes to DRM and the actual ownership of your games. I can still rent games, sell used and buy used games, borrow games from friends, take my copies to my friends house etc.

And consoles are still far cheaper, easier, quicker and more convenient, but yes some of the bad practises from PC has crossed over. But you've got fanboy goggles on if you think consoles are worse for DRM, installations etc than PC, or anywhere close.

That 5 hour update for the Wii U is still quicker and easier to do than building and setting up your own PC.
#75sonofliberPosted 1/3/2013 9:09:23 PM
pirate game: money developers see =0

people argument versus piracy you bastards you are killing the industry

used game: money developers see =0
people argument: i support the developers by giving money to gamestop and not them.

i like how people think that giving money to gamestop is = to giving money to the developers, news flash guys the developers still dont see any money, the difference is that you give money to a third party instead of getting it free
---
How exactly is Yukari a slut? She doesn't go around giving free Garudyne jobs to every guy or she doesn't let him Maralagidyne her void.
#76mycousinvinniePosted 1/3/2013 9:12:31 PM
Shineboxer posted...
BMXJouster posted...
darkness1018 posted...
Not every one wants to spend over $1000 just to have a gaming PC, that's crazy. I never have and maybe never will like PC gaming.

Except it doesn't cost $1000 to build a gaming PC. You can build one for $500 or less that will outperform the PS3 easily and play newer games on decent settings for years.

Lie. Unless you bought secondhand, your case and cpu are half/+ of that $500.

why would anyone spurge on Cpu or case?

Your cpu and gpu need to be relatively the same performance wise or you will end up with a bottleneck which results in worse performance
#77Godly_GoofPosted 1/3/2013 9:17:22 PM
sonofliber posted...
pirate game: money developers see =0

people argument versus piracy you bastards you are killing the industry

used game: money developers see =0
people argument: i support the developers by giving money to gamestop and not them.

i like how people think that giving money to gamestop is = to giving money to the developers, news flash guys the developers still dont see any money, the difference is that you give money to a third party instead of getting it free

... Except that game sold new once, do the company got full profits, chance are from the very GS they returned it to. GS pays about $30 per game to the publishers for new, minus shipping and processing they are most likely making at most $10 a game before deductions. In addition when a game gets traded in they give back a percentage value up to about $40-50 if it's new. They then sell it for maybe $60 and net $10 they also just pumped $40-50 in store credit back to the game industry.

Just because you fail at math, reason, logic, and common sense is no reason to blame a game store for something you don't even understand.
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#78realskillz1990Posted 1/3/2013 9:19:02 PM
darklinkfan55 posted...
pc games are like a million times cheaper and BETTER

lol the only reason pc gaming is relevant is because of steam and the sales,consoles get better exclusives and are simple to use and convenient.PC fanboys are so funny, they are completely fake gamers who equate quality to graphics when majority of the population could care less.
---
You release your game and it has disc locked content and day 1 dlc I will just buy your game used.
#79little_spedvePosted 1/3/2013 9:24:59 PM
DarkShadowRage posted...
The reason why you can't sell back used PC games is because you can install them and that's it. stupid topic.

---
| Asus G74SX-HBK7 | Windows 8 | Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon |
#80little_spedvePosted 1/3/2013 9:25:30 PM
Stealthlys posted...
If you buy used games you are as equal as a pirate.

The only exception is discontinued games, unless they remade em.

Used game buyer=pirate.

No.
---
| Asus G74SX-HBK7 | Windows 8 | Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon |