This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Used games have been gone from PC gaming for a long time

#81FaycelessPosted 1/3/2013 9:31:16 PM
I bought a used car, does that make me a car thief?

Also, one word: ECONOMICS. If you think used game sales are bad for the industry, learn what that word means. Money is not what you think it is.
#82AsucaHayashiPosted 1/3/2013 9:36:33 PM(edited)
You're a PC fanboy, that's the way you want to see things.

i'm not a fanboy of anything, i'm a realist.

if consoles brought me the most and best options for the amount of money i spend, that's the platform i would root for. console gaming doesn't even belong in the same league as PC gaming on this matter.

And consoles are still far cheaper

yes, the boxes are cheaper individually... the actual gaming part of console gaming however, is not when comparing the amount of gaming you're receiving per $ spent and guess what, console companies are definitely not making the most money from the boxes they sell.

But you've got fanboy goggles on if you think consoles are worse for DRM, installations etc than PC, or anywhere close.

consoles are indeed worse for DRM because i can play any PC game with a single gaming PC but i can't play any console game with a single gaming console.. that is the DRM of consoles.

easier, quicker and more convenient

easier maybe... but quicker and convinient depends entirely on the eye of the beholder.

i prefer to buy a game in 5 minutes, have it download and install in 20 minutes(whilst gaming) and then freely be able to switch between all my games on my computer while never having to bother with discs all the while being able to browse the internet or freely choose my control methods etc.

That 5 hour update for the Wii U is still quicker and easier to do than building and setting up your own PC.

for somebody who doesn't know their way around basic instruction maybe... it took me 2-3~ hours assembling my first PC with nothing but an online video guide in hand and it has only gotten easier since then what with most components being tailor made for easy as hell installation.
---
If console gaming is so cheap then why do I have to spend $600~ in order to play Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 3 and Halo 3?
#83Fez_WatleyPosted 1/3/2013 9:34:12 PM
I used to be ignorant about pc gaming too until i bought one last year, join the light fellow console brothers.
#84OneEyedBillPosted 1/3/2013 9:35:03 PM
sonofliber posted...
pirate game: money developers see =0

people argument versus piracy you bastards you are killing the industry

used game: money developers see =0
people argument: i support the developers by giving money to gamestop and not them.

i like how people think that giving money to gamestop is = to giving money to the developers, news flash guys the developers still dont see any money, the difference is that you give money to a third party instead of getting it free

Buying used games is not piracy because you are spending your hard earned money on the product. I hope you are not trying to equate theft with buying used products in a desperate attempt to prove a point. Piracy is theft. Buying and paying for a used product is not theft.
#85Lunitik MuzikPosted 1/3/2013 9:35:59 PM
VanderZoo posted...
You're a PC fanboy, that's the way you want to see things. PC's are still far worse when it comes to DRM and the actual ownership of your games.

Not that I agree with him, but....

1. DRM isn't even that big of an issue anymore. In fact, developers seem to be getting it through their heads that it punishes the user more and is useless since it's broken within a few days. Online Passes have been just as bad, if not worse.

2. The whole "ownership" thing is hilarious. The same applies for consoles. Remember that whole Geohot incident? I mean, at least dvds make good fresbies though...right?
#86MrBlue81Posted 1/3/2013 9:37:01 PM
SoleilArclion posted...
BMXJouster posted...
darkness1018 posted...
Not every one wants to spend over $1000 just to have a gaming PC, that's crazy. I never have and maybe never will like PC gaming.

Except it doesn't cost $1000 to build a gaming PC. You can build one for $500 or less that will outperform the PS3 easily and play newer games on decent settings for years.

Lie. Unless you bought secondhand, your case and cpu are half/+ of that $500.

Case and CPU (eg. 3570k) is like 300 dollars give or take 50 bucks depending on your case.
---
i5 3570k @4.7 ghz/GTX 670 @1312/1827,1.21v /8gb Kingston HyperX 1600/Asus p8Z77-V LK/Corsair H80/Vengeance C70/Corsair TX750M/2TB WD Green/CrucialM4 128gb
#87lambchipsPosted 1/3/2013 9:38:09 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
for somebody who doesn't know their way around basic instruction maybe... it took me 2-3~ hours assembling my first PC with nothing but an online video guide in hand and it has only gotten easier since then what with most components being tailor made for easy as hell installation.

thats actually really fast.... took me 5-7 hours my first time, but back then i only had the manual... i didnt think of using youtube (but then again back then no one would watch youtube for their tutorials
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#88king_maddenPosted 1/3/2013 9:38:46 PM
Fayceless posted...
I bought a used car, does that make me a car thief?

Also, one word: ECONOMICS. If you think used game sales are bad for the industry, learn what that word means. Money is not what you think it is.

if you think used cars can be compared to used games you need to learn about both of these industries.
#89Godly_GoofPosted 1/3/2013 9:39:34 PM
Fez_Watley posted...
I used to be ignorant about pc gaming too until i bought one last year, join the light fellow console brothers.

Been there tried that. Bought a $700 gaming PC for that super awesome PC gaming I heard so much about. Then realized that Steam sucks for the most part, PC games and PC exclusives are meh at best, and the so called "better versions" are just slightly better graphics of the same exact game O_o. I mean ya theirs mods but considering maybe 1 in 100 are good feels like a chore just getting them.

No I'll keep my one time investment systems and own physical copies of games so I don't have to redownload the damn things every time I optimize or reformat my Hard drive because steam is an a-hole that way :/
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#90NicodimusPosted 1/3/2013 9:41:21 PM(edited)
i like how people think that giving money to gamestop is = to giving money to the developers, news flash guys the developers still dont see any money

I'll explain again.

The developers got their money from Gamestop a week before the game arrives in stores.

It's really that simple. What the customer buys from that point on has nothing to do with the developers.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford