This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Used games have been gone from PC gaming for a long time

#91jrr18Posted 1/3/2013 8:40:34 PM
Fez_Watley posted...
I used to be ignorant about pc gaming too until i bought one last year, join the light fellow console brothers.

As whats his name in the above post said it's expensive if you have no idea what your doing and I have no idea how to make a good gameing PC.
---
Victory over the 2013 zombie apocalypse through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#92AsucaHayashiPosted 1/3/2013 8:41:56 PM
lambchips posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...
for somebody who doesn't know their way around basic instruction maybe... it took me 2-3~ hours assembling my first PC with nothing but an online video guide in hand and it has only gotten easier since then what with most components being tailor made for easy as hell installation.

thats actually really fast.... took me 5-7 hours my first time, but back then i only had the manual... i didnt think of using youtube (but then again back then no one would watch youtube for their tutorials

like i said it has only gotten so much easier both due to online availability of tutorials and the way components are tailor made for a single purpose.

although admittedly i've fiddled around with basic upgrades like psu/gpu/ram etc. before making my first full build from scratch.
---
If console gaming is so cheap then why do I have to spend $600~ in order to play Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 3 and Halo 3?
#93Godly_GoofPosted 1/3/2013 8:42:44 PM
Godly_Goof posted...
sonofliber posted...
pirate game: money developers see =0

people argument versus piracy you bastards you are killing the industry

used game: money developers see =0
people argument: i support the developers by giving money to gamestop and not them.

i like how people think that giving money to gamestop is = to giving money to the developers, news flash guys the developers still dont see any money, the difference is that you give money to a third party instead of getting it free

... Except that game sold new once, do the company got full profits, chance are from the very GS they returned it to. GS pays about $30 per game to the publishers for new, minus shipping and processing they are most likely making at most $10 a game before deductions. In addition when a game gets traded in they give back a percentage value up to about $40-50 if it's new. They then sell it for maybe $60 and net $10 they also just pumped $40-50 in store credit back to the game industry.

Just because you fail at math, reason, logic, and common sense is no reason to blame a game store for something you don't even understand.

Just Gunna bump this because I don't think certain people have read it yet.
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#94Fez_WatleyPosted 1/3/2013 8:42:48 PM
Godly_Goof posted...
Fez_Watley posted...
I used to be ignorant about pc gaming too until i bought one last year, join the light fellow console brothers.

Been there tried that. Bought a $700 gaming PC for that super awesome PC gaming I heard so much about. Then realized that Steam sucks for the most part, PC games and PC exclusives are meh at best, and the so called "better versions" are just slightly better graphics of the same exact game O_o. I mean ya theirs mods but considering maybe 1 in 100 are good feels like a chore just getting them.

No I'll keep my one time investment systems and own physical copies of games so I don't have to redownload the damn things every time I optimize or reformat my Hard drive because steam is an a-hole that way :/

What you said is pretty much the 360 for me what with Live and having to get the rrod fixed. One of the most underrated aspects is how cheap the games are. I was able to get Spec Ops the Line for 2 bucks 6 months after if came out on Amazon.

Obviously pc gaming isn't for everyone though.
#95VanderZooPosted 1/3/2013 8:49:33 PM
Lunitik Muzik posted...
VanderZoo posted...
You're a PC fanboy, that's the way you want to see things. PC's are still far worse when it comes to DRM and the actual ownership of your games.

Not that I agree with him, but....

1. DRM isn't even that big of an issue anymore. In fact, developers seem to be getting it through their heads that it punishes the user more and is useless since it's broken within a few days. Online Passes have been just as bad, if not worse.

2. The whole "ownership" thing is hilarious. The same applies for consoles. Remember that whole Geohot incident? I mean, at least dvds make good fresbies though...right?

1. DRM is a big issue. Trying to play liberty city stories on PC was a mess. I bought it on steam, then it asks me to create a rockstar account, then I had to sign in with a windows live account (steam, rockstar, windows live... three accounts just to play one game).

They give me a cd key to enter.... it doesn't work. I try again, doesn't work. Then I have to go online, go to the forums, look up if other people have had the same issue (many have), I have to click on links to other threads where people have posted the fix. I have to download some windows game client, log into that, then do some other crap within that client that I can't remember.

Finally, I go back to the game and the CD key works....

It was a nightmare, you know how I played GTA IV on the 360? I just put the disc in and played it. Issues like that have never happened on a console.

Every ubisoft game needs a uplay account, every blizzard game needs battle.net, every EA game needs Origin.... All these different clients on PC which is really DRM in disguise. On consoles, you just put the game in and play.

2. I don't understand your point. If I buy a game on PC, it has to be brand new, and I can only use it on my system (some exceptions like the witcher 2). If I buy a game on a console, I can do whatever I want with it.
#96NicodimusPosted 1/3/2013 8:53:54 PM
Godly_Goof posted...
sonofliber posted...
pirate game: money developers see =0

people argument versus piracy you bastards you are killing the industry

used game: money developers see =0
people argument: i support the developers by giving money to gamestop and not them.

i like how people think that giving money to gamestop is = to giving money to the developers, news flash guys the developers still dont see any money, the difference is that you give money to a third party instead of getting it free

... Except that game sold new once, do the company got full profits, chance are from the very GS they returned it to. GS pays about $30 per game to the publishers for new, minus shipping and processing they are most likely making at most $10 a game before deductions. In addition when a game gets traded in they give back a percentage value up to about $40-50 if it's new. They then sell it for maybe $60 and net $10 they also just pumped $40-50 in store credit back to the game industry.

Just because you fail at math, reason, logic, and common sense is no reason to blame a game store for something you don't even understand.

Just Gunna bump this because I don't think certain people have read it yet.

It's not even close to $10. Our DM rode our (store manager's) asses for years about selling used over new because the profit margin on a new game is usually around $2 after you factor in shipping costs. We'd have to sell a dozen new games to get the same amount of profit we do from one used copy of the same game.

People have this (incorrect) idea that once Gamestop sells a new game, they pass along a portion of the money to the developers. I don't know why they think this, but that is not how the world works. The developers already sold Gamestop 50,000 units at about $56 each to Gamestop. They are paid in full, before release. The developers walk away with all of their money before a single game is sold at retail.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#97ShineboxerPosted 1/3/2013 8:58:34 PM
jrr18 posted...
Fez_Watley posted...

As whats his name in the above post said it's expensive if you have no idea what your doing and I have no idea how to make a good gameing PC.

Just watch this video and be reborn as a member of the Master Race. I shall await all of you on the other side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

But seriously, this guy is pretty informative.

Also, your own Gamefaqs brethren.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/37644384
#98lambchipsPosted 1/3/2013 9:01:50 PM
Shineboxer posted...
Just watch this video and be reborn as a member of the Master Race. I shall await all of you on the other side

i used that exact same tutorial when i was teaching a friend to build his pc... but yeah, very informative when it comes to building a pc
i wished that this vid was around 6 years ago when i built my first pc
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#99pronouncemynamePosted 1/3/2013 9:02:44 PM
Well, you can buy and sell older PC games before DRM became huge. The only recent title I can think of that has no DRM is Rayman Origins. The disk version is literally install and play. So you could resell that... But yeah most PC games you can't resell.

Its not really a problem though. A lot of PC games I buy are under $10 in sales. I just purchased Spec Ops the Line for $2.49. Honestly, if you could resell PC games its not like they would have much value anyway due to all the huge sales that happens with PC games. A PC game like Metro 2033 would have a resell value of $0.01 lol
#100jrr18Posted 1/3/2013 9:04:18 PM
Shineboxer posted...
jrr18 posted...
Fez_Watley posted...

I try and make one when I finish collage. Thanks
---
Victory over the 2013 zombie apocalypse through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101