This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Well, bye-bye, Playstation. :(

#51KarucuPosted 1/3/2013 10:13:14 PM(edited)
wstfld posted...
AzureVergil posted...
Used games are for people without jobs.

Used games are for people who dont want to risk a full price buy on a game they are not sure of.

This reason is no longer valid. Is $5 off at GS really the difference between just randomly grabbing a game off the shelf and it being too risky to chance parting with the money?

5 dollars off huh? Sorry pal, but I dont buy into that crap and Im sure any consumer with half a brain wouldnt either. If Im looking for a game and I see a new copy, then a used copy for 5 bucks less...I sure as hell aint going to waste my time on the used one.

HOWEVER.....If Im looking for a game, and its no longer easy to find new and I see a used copy for 30 bones or less, and its used...You bet your ass Ill pick it up.

As far as not wanting to risk the cost of a pull price buy....that also goes back to no one in their right mind being willing to pay $5 less then the cost of a new buy. I wont buy used unless its ATLEAST $10-15 off the msrp.
---
It's obvious what the problem is. You're ugly, only beautiful people get off of punishment on time-ArchaicBeat
#52NicodimusPosted 1/3/2013 10:10:52 PM
Customers would never tolerate this.

Sony makes stupid decisions sometimes, but they're not dumb enough to send customers flocking to the competition with a move like this.

People that buy used aren't Sony's customers. They get no money from used game sales.

I'll take a minute and explain how the world works in this regard.

Sony makes the bulk of its money from licensing titles from other developers, not from selling hardware or from selling its own games (although it tries to get some of that pie too.) So, if tons of customers stop buying PS3 games altogether because they have been driven away to a different company, Sony is massively affected because they are losing all that license money.

It also seems like you're under the impression that retailers give a portion of the money from new game sales back to the developers, which they don't. In order to get the games in the first place, the retailer already paid the developer up front for X number of units at a few dollars below the MSRP each. Before a single game is sold at retail, the developers already have all their money in hand. So, whether a customer buys that game new or used affects only the retailer, not the developer.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#53AzureVergilPosted 1/3/2013 10:11:44 PM
Karucu posted...
AzureVergil posted...

Used games are for people who dont want to risk a full price buy on a game they are not sure of.

Used games are for games that are not printed anymore but people who missed them the first time around have a chance to get them.

I hate people with your mentality on the used game market...Make that the used ANYTHING market.

If you had common sense, that what renting is for. Its like $7 for 3 days.
#54_tanjil_Posted 1/3/2013 10:14:41 PM
wstfld posted...
Second off, people are going to be mad, when their friend comes to sleep over, and the other friend asks, "Hey, bring your copy of *insert game here* so we can play it tonight."

LOL

Why LOL at this, that was my one and only problem with this news. I go over to my friends places a lot of the time and bring my games over to play, usually fighting games or racers. And we lend games to each other. It's utter BS that they are telling me who can use my product
#55KarucuPosted 1/3/2013 10:20:03 PM
AzureVergil posted...
Karucu posted...
AzureVergil posted...

Used games are for games that are not printed anymore but people who missed them the first time around have a chance to get them.

I hate people with your mentality on the used game market...Make that the used ANYTHING market.

If you had common sense, that what renting is for. Its like $7 for 3 days.

I havnt rented a game since I was in Jr High, and that was just after the SNES came out. I research my purchase before I even pick it up, but even with research, one can be unsure if its going to be a good game. In my 30 years of gaming, Ive only regretted buying 3 or 4 games...and atleast one of those was one I rented in the past.
---
It's obvious what the problem is. You're ugly, only beautiful people get off of punishment on time-ArchaicBeat
#56KarucuPosted 1/3/2013 10:24:17 PM
Nicodimus posted...

Sony makes stupid decisions sometimes, but they're not dumb enough to send customers flocking to the competition with a move like this.

People that buy used aren't Sony's customers. They get no money from used game sales.

Sony makes the bulk of its money from licensing titles from other developers, not from selling hardware or from selling its own games (although it tries to get some of that pie too.) So, if tons of customers stop buying PS3 games altogether because they have been driven away to a different company, Sony is massively affected because they are losing all that license money.

It also seems like you're under the impression that retailers give a portion of the money from new game sales back to the developers, which they don't. In order to get the games in the first place, the retailer already paid the developer up front for X number of units at a few dollars below the MSRP each. Before a single game is sold at retail, the developers already have all their money in hand. So, whether a customer buys that game new or used affects only the retailer, not the developer.

Thank you. Its nice to see some one with a good grasp on how this industry really works.

I dont get how people think that pubs and devs some how get even more cash after the retailer has ordered and paid for stock.
---
#57ukokira1Posted 1/3/2013 10:31:51 PM
LuminescentRule posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
Ghost_Reaper7 posted...
CorathTheHung posted...
Waste of a topic, delete it.

---
Look at you, soaring through the air like an bird... Piloting a blimp.
#58NicodimusPosted 1/3/2013 10:36:51 PM(edited)
Nicodimus posted...

Thank you. Its nice to see some one with a good grasp on how this industry really works.

I dont get how people think that pubs and devs some how get even more cash after the retailer has ordered and paid for stock.

I managed an EB Games for 9 years. Got to talk to our buyers at the vendor show each year, and our DM frequently explained this kind of thing to us on conference calls so that we understood the importance of pushing used games and the Edge card.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#59wstfldPosted 1/3/2013 10:42:32 PM

I know how Sony makes money, I know how developers make money. I just don't think that any significant portion of customers will flock to MS. And if the ones that only buy used games go to MS, who cares?
---
Last Played: FTL (9.5/10)
Now Playing: XCOM Enemy Unknown, Assassin's Creed 3, FIFA 13, FTL
#60servb0tsPosted 1/3/2013 10:43:59 PM
PENDRAG0ON posted...
I agree, any system that implements a complete used lockout is dead to me. Hopefully they don't use this tech, but if they do, I will truly be Nintendo only next gen...

I 2nd this.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner