This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Well, bye-bye, Playstation. :(

#71Gam3r777Posted 1/4/2013 7:05:28 AM
It's a sad day when buying a used game becomes an issue. However, I will quit buying ANY of sony's products if they pull any crap like that.
#72ChaingunmasterPosted 1/4/2013 7:05:45 AM
The worst part isn't the patent. The worst part isn't even the fact that if one company implements this, all three will eventually.
No, the worst part is knowing that I'll still buy the games. I'm part of the problem, I fear.
---
www.lucid-lives.com (My webcomic)
PSN and XBL id: Alos88
#73MadDewgPosted 1/4/2013 7:05:53 AM
KouenZan posted...
why would you buy used if you can buy the game cheaper after few months?

*gets flameshield*

Doesn't really work that way majority of the time with rare japanese games that tend to go out of print quicker than your average "flavor of the month" hyped game. Sometimes you can get lucky and have said japanese game with a digital release, like tales of vesperia on the 360's games for demand. Other times you can be flat out sol if you wanted to play, say tales of symphonia on gamecube, which can get pretty damn pricey on amazon, ebay etc., the random cheap 40 dollar disc only versions that shows up every now and again aside.

A "brand new" version of certain games years down the line can get jacked up to dumb ass levels depending on how much of it got printed back in the day/recently...like tales of destiny 2 (u.s. version) for example...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00005NCBY/sr=1-2/qid=1357307972/ref=olp_tab_new?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=new&me=&qid=1357307972&seller=&sr=1-2

Here is a more "recent" example with metroid prime trilogy...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002ATY7JE/ref=sr_1_1_np_0_olp?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1357308208&sr=1-1&condition=new

This is where gamestop/pawn shops or whatever comes in...when online retailers screw you over like those above links, its possible to find a used tales of symphonia or metroid prime trilogy lying around for like, 50 bucks (or like 20ish for tales of symphonia).
---
GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg Playin' bayonetta, dungeon fighter live, gears of war 3, tales of graces, borderlands, dust: an elysian tail.
#74bladegash666Posted 1/4/2013 7:28:23 AM
Megax topic.

All Sony is doing is what PC games have been doing for decades. I won't say I'm not scared , but I don't want to write them off completely...yet.
---
"These guys are just names on a list , they come up and we take em down. Not a paper more , not a bullet less"
"BATMANNNNNN" - Joker crying
#75stawg007Posted 1/4/2013 7:58:22 AM
DoubleUTeeEfff posted...
If this does happen I will be flocking the the system that will never have a "next system" the system that cost the most but can always be upgraded to be better... The PC.

Microsoft- Or as I like to call them, Moneysoft, just steal your money with having to pay at LEAST $60 a year for online

Sony- Well they are just thinking about pulling this BS.

Nintendo- I was just never an Nintendo fan

PC- They don't even have a company because there are so many varients.

Iv never paid anywhere near 60 for live

Keep being ignorant
---
GT: lPayneToTheMaxl
#76Battleship_GrayPosted 1/4/2013 8:01:09 AM
stawg007 posted...

Iv never paid anywhere near 60 for live

Keep being ignorant

Where are these deals? Seriously? People tend to say the above but whenever my XBL
runs out I never seem to find any substantial discounts. I genuinely want to know.
---
http://citizen-industries.deviantart.com
PSN/XBL: Citizen Soldat
#77work_a_holicPosted 1/4/2013 8:03:13 AM
It is laughable to see people think this will happen just because of a simple patent. Sony probably has thousands of patents that they never used.

Smart companies make patents just in case they would have to use them in the future. This will probably never be used.
#78cronos12Posted 1/4/2013 8:04:55 AM
I don't understand why so many of you are worried about a patent... Be concerned when they implement the technology.

Sony having this patent could deter any company from using this sort of technology. Do you think Microsoft or Nintendo would want to work out a licensing deal to use this tech in their systems? Likely not. So it could be a positive just as much as it could be a negative.

But for now, it's nothing but an idea on paper that may or may not be used. How many other patents has Sony done that have never seen the light of day?

Put your pitchforks and torches away for now...
#79killakPosted 1/4/2013 8:06:52 AM
I still think that if this patent is implemented, it could lead to a drastic reduction in game price.

that would be a huge positive

The only negative is that you're going to end up with an ET landfill, with all the PS3 games that nobody wants, since nobody else can play them and what if your console dies?
---
Me - http://tinyurl.com/bslf5na
#80work_a_holicPosted 1/4/2013 8:09:06 AM
killak posted...
I still think that if this patent is implemented, it could lead to a drastic reduction in game price.

that would be a huge positive

The only negative is that you're going to end up with an ET landfill, with all the PS3 games that nobody wants, since nobody else can play them and what if your console dies?

It would apparently link to your PSN id and not your console. So if me and you have our PSN on one PS4, and I put a disc into it for the first time, it would pair with my name, and you couldn't use it while logged into your name.