This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would people rather give their money to EB/Gamestop than to developers?

#11-Damien-(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 7:46:05 PM
tmons78 posted...
-Damien- posted...
If you buy used, not a single cent goes to the developers or Sony.

How much money goes to the developer if you buy new?

I dont know exactly but if it's divided between these parties: developers, Sony, retailers (EB/Gamestop).

I think developers would get somewhere between 50-60%. Sony would get like 10-15%. Retailers (EB/Gamestop) would get somewhere 30-35%.

For used-games, all that money goes to EB/Gamestop
#12shawnmckPosted 1/3/2013 7:51:16 PM(edited)
Why would I want even a dime to go to the Developers of such games as Brink, RE: ORC, Kane & Lynch 2: DD, and all the other trash that gets made by certain Developers with low scruples.

When its a game that I know will be good then I always buy new.
If its a game that is actually good then fewer people trade them in, which means that more people have to buy new.

It is usually the crap & mediocre games that get traded in a lot.
So why should the developers of such games be rewarded ?
#13SigmaHacielPosted 1/3/2013 7:51:58 PM
tmons78 posted...
-Damien- posted...

Probably less than 10%.
#14CaptainLukaPosted 1/3/2013 7:54:11 PM
-Damien- posted...
tmons78 posted...
-Damien- posted...

I dont know exactly but if it's divided between these parties: developers, Sony, retailers (EB/Gamestop).

I think developers would get somewhere between 50-60%. Sony would get like 10-15%. Retailers (EB/Gamestop) would get somewhere 30-35%.

Protip: The developers and publishers have already been paid before the game you're buying was even on the shelf.
---
My spell check just had a mental breakdown...
#15tmons78Posted 1/3/2013 7:55:42 PM
-Damien- posted...
tmons78 posted...
-Damien- posted...

No.

The money from a new game purchase goes mainly to the retailer (EB/Gamestop) to recoup the price of purchasing the copy from the publisher, plus profit (minimal). Then, the remainder goes mainly to the publisher. It does not go to the developer. The developer has already been paid for creating the game through the contract they signed with the publisher. So even buying new, you are paying the retailer first, the publisher second, and not the developer at all.

Used games do go into the "pockets" of the retailer, but that money is then put to other use besides pure profit. Expansion of the business, employee wages, monthly finances (rent, utilities of stores, etc.) and then profit.
#16calhoun1389Posted 1/3/2013 7:58:15 PM(edited)
The whole "If you don't want it traded in, make a better game" logic is completely flawed. The only ways to keep people from trading in games is to make a universally perfect game (which isn't possible) or pay people to keep them, or restrict resell via DRM. You cannot name a single game ever made that hasn't been traded in or resold by the thousands, regardless of the quality of the game.
---
My first born, Jackson was born on Friday, May 11, 2012.
My Anime List: http://tinyurl.com/c6ylh9y (Updates regularly)
#17thisismyusernmePosted 1/3/2013 7:57:56 PM
Because they're ignorant and can't add. They actually think they're saving money.

Someone will buy a brand new game on day 1 for $60. Beat it in a week and trade it back in for $30. GameStop sells that same game to someone else for $55 and the original guy buys someone elses just released used copy for $55. Wow I just saved myself $5!!! Duhrhurrrr!

And then the cycle repeats itself.

GameStop is ripping off the industry, but more importantly they are ripping off the gamers, their own customer base, but they're just too ignorant to realize it.
---
Clan Leader, Status-DISAVOWED
#18bossk5Posted 1/3/2013 8:01:58 PM
thisismyusernme posted...
Because they're ignorant and can't add. They actually think they're saving money.

Someone will buy a brand new game on day 1 for $60. Beat it in a week and trade it back in for $30. GameStop sells that same game to someone else for $55 and the original guy buys someone elses just released used copy for $55. Wow I just saved myself $5!!! Duhrhurrrr!

And then the cycle repeats itself.

GameStop is ripping off the industry, but more importantly they are ripping off the gamers, their own customer base, but they're just too ignorant to realize it.

O_o
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs, where trolls run rampant. I buy used games.Pacers 3- whatever...I give up
#19BurgerTime79Posted 1/3/2013 8:02:40 PM
-Damien- posted...

All that profit goes to Gamestop, who does nothing but ripping people off. They buy used new games for 30 bucks and re-sale them at 55 bucks, only 5 bucks lower than new copy.

So for 5 bucks lower you really would rather give your money to EB/Gamestop than to the developers who make the games?

First of all, an anti Gamestop topic? These are getting old as it is. Anyone crying and complaining about how much they take for trade ins, and how much they sell back for, clearly have no concept of how a pawn shop operates and makes their money. If you're going to complain about it, don't go there. It's none of your business to tell people what to do with their games. Anyone who willingly goes there should know exactly what they're getting into. This is why the "jokes" about the show Pawn Stars are so incredibly unfunny. The way the customer act on the show is either scripted, or they have no concept of how a pawn shop operates either.

Second, I would hope that most people buying used, aren't buying at the $5 cheaper on games that recently came out.

Third, I only buy used when the game is down to below $20, or the game has gone out of print and I can't find it for a good price new. When a game goes to a red case I look for the older version new, or just buy it used as well. (and if you have a problem with that, I don't care. If you want to attack me on this preference, you'll be on ignore).
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#20TheNewWavePosted 1/3/2013 8:02:59 PM
Devs dont get money from used or new sales, publishers do. And secondly, I really dont care who gets the money because well, why should I?