This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would people rather give their money to EB/Gamestop than to developers?

#171thisismyusernmePosted 1/3/2013 11:54:39 PM
GANONDORFIVY posted...
Sony and developers are rich why should i care for them? i download music for free for same reason those people are rich same the companies so if i can pay less i buy that one who offers less price period

That's exactly why they don't care for you anymore and are going forward with this. You expect them to lie down forever?
---
Clan Leader, Status-DISAVOWED
#172NicodimusPosted 1/3/2013 11:56:53 PM
Sure. For a weekend. I think we can agree that not every game needs to be hundreds of hours long, right? Also, I didn't pay $60 for the experience. I paid $5.

Which is their problem. They don't offer a good enough experience for the amount they are spending on it. Either make games with longevity and worth the cost like Earthbound, or make short games that are easy on a budget like Tetris Attack. Making short games with a large budget doesn't work.

You can easily get into a chicken-or-the-egg debate here. If Batman:AC cost $5, it would only have a small fraction of the development budget it did when it was a $60 game, so it would be a lot worse in quality (or at least very simple) and people wouldn't even want to spend the $5 on it.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#173thisismyusernmePosted 1/4/2013 12:07:58 AM
Nicodimus posted...
Sure. For a weekend. I think we can agree that not every game needs to be hundreds of hours long, right? Also, I didn't pay $60 for the experience. I paid $5.

Which is their problem. They don't offer a good enough experience for the amount they are spending on it. Either make games with longevity and worth the cost like Earthbound, or make short games that are easy on a budget like Tetris Attack. Making short games with a large budget doesn't work.

You can easily get into a chicken-or-the-egg debate here. If Batman:AC cost $5, it would only have a small fraction of the development budget it did when it was a $60 game, so it would be a lot worse in quality (or at least very simple) and people wouldn't even want to spend the $5 on it.

Yeah but this is the same concept as the movie companies making sure Netflix doesn't rent out their movies for the first month they're released. The bulk of their overall profits is right at the beginning in that timeframe while the product is hot. It's the same with games. When companies like GameStop are pulling this they are not only denying the publishers their rightful profits they're making a a crapload of profit that they're not entitled to and they didn't earn. They're just sitting there shuffling money in
---
Clan Leader, Status-DISAVOWED
#174NewavePosted 1/4/2013 12:39:55 AM
I want to support the second-hand market first, then maybe the developers if they develop something worth supporting again like they used to do back in the 90s, before DLC, on-disc DLC, online-multiplayer only with no local multiplayer etc. etc. etc..
---
I have: NES, GB, GBA(3), PSX(5), DC, PS2, PSP(2), GC(2), Wii, XB(2), XB360
I want: GBP, GBL, GBC, SNES, MD, MCD, 32X, SS, PS3, PSV
#175Nirvanas_NoxPosted 1/4/2013 12:46:00 AM
Thor61 posted...
I'm not a corporate loyalist. I look out for the best deal I can get, nothing more.

---
My business isnt your business so unless your my thong, dont be up my ass.
#176nedrithPosted 1/4/2013 12:47:48 AM
I find it it interesting how many people are under the assumption that just because Gamestop buys a game for $30 that they can sell for $55 they are going to make a $25 profit.

Let's just breakdown everything that could possibly reduce that profit:

Reduction in the games resell value(yes those 30 copies of BLOPS2 might eventually go from $55 to $45 resulting in a loss of $10 profit per a game).

Promotions, yes when they give you 1 game for free when you buy 2 games they are losing some of that profit, in fact using the past example of prices they bought 3 games at $30 each paying $90 and have now sold them for only $110 resulting in a $6.66 profit instead of $25. Add that to the above and now you really took a bigger hit, in fact if you bought 3 games using this promotion that were reduced by $10 after GS paid $30 for the game GS took a $10 loss!

Games and/or cases breaking due to customers or employees mishandling.

Restoration costs to remove scratches and such.

Then the normal costs of running a business, utilities, wages, fees ect.

While a used game store isn't as risky of a business as say the earlier example someone gave of a pawn shop, it's still a risky business. your getting $30 on a game they are selling for $55 because it's not a large risk. There is a reason you are only getting 50 cents to a $2 on a game that sells for $5-10, Because it's a bigger risk that the game either won't sell or will require storage space for a long time to sell. It's just GS doing what any business would do, evaluating the risk and making offers accordingly.

If you want more money for that $5 game, assume all the risk yourselves put it on Ebay or Amazon or Craigslist and pay whatever fees they charge for the listing.
#177heresjohnnoPosted 1/4/2013 12:49:28 AM
Think about it this way - the developers would have gotten money when the game was intitally bought, but when the original buyer sells it, they loose the ability to play it. So even if it gets sold on several times, it is not as if 3 people are playing at once on one copy.

Regardless of my feelings about giving my money to EB vs developers, the tech to prevent the playing of used games reeks of ill thought out, knee jerk actions.

What if I want to bring a multiplayer game over to a friends, I won't be able to play it with him unless I bring my own console with me.
---
If your zergling rush fails, consult your hatchery. You may need more zerglings.
#178Virtue777Posted 1/4/2013 1:05:16 AM
Because people are dumb, basically. I can't wait for the PS4 and Xbox 720 games to have software keys. If Nintendo doesn't implement or allow something similar, I'll be selling back my Wii U (lol).
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#179Goten55Posted 1/4/2013 1:11:33 AM
The things is a lot of the older games cannot be found new so you have to buy a used copy. If Sony kill used games than we won't be able to get the less popular games. I don't wanna end up paying $500 for a Jrpg online because some idiot bought all of them.

---
Gardenia Month!
http://i.imgur.com/2UK2Z.jpg http://i.imgur.com/3fBl5.jpg http://i.imgur.com/msXxq.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Clq47.jpg
#180hotgamerPosted 1/4/2013 1:14:08 AM(edited)
Doesn't matter, the PS4 and 720 is probably the last disc based gen. It will probably go all digital after that.

They should do this with the PS4, 720 and WiiU already. Disc read speed is slow compared to hard disk and you're also more limited by space.
---
Trying to contain the chaos is futile.