This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would people rather give their money to EB/Gamestop than to developers?

#181IChangedMyNamePosted 1/4/2013 1:15:22 AM(edited)
This discussion is still going on eh? I see many good points that have already been made but its the same person invalidating them.
---
I play a lil bit of everything on a lil bit of everything.
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#182crunchb3rryPosted 1/4/2013 1:21:55 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#183blankempathyPosted 1/4/2013 1:26:45 AM
Nicodimus posted...
Typically, a game is purchased only one time. Once it runs out at the DC, it is changed to discontinued status and the stores are told they won't be getting any more. Depends on the game, but this usually takes a number of years. Every now and then, Gamestop will place another bulk order, but this is rare (primarily due to depreciation.)

Again, it all depends on the sales, companies have had more then one printing run plenty of times, its not as rare as you're trying to say it is. After all they can only take a guess at how many copies they'll need. If its an AAA game they're obviously going to ship more games. Obviously used game sales cut into their decision to print more copies because the demand for a reprint will be lower.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#184Solid LinkPosted 1/4/2013 1:32:20 AM
The idea of demonizing used game sales completely ignores buying new copies at seriously discounted prices. I commonly pay $10-20 for new games because I just wait for a sale. Even all of my Christmas pre-orders, I bought for $48 each thanks to a Newegg promo. As has already been stated, it all comes down to what value people see in the product. People like myself don't see much worth in buying a game like Skyrim for $60 when it's brand new, when we know there will eventually be a complete version with all DLC for the same or cheaper price. I snagged Oblivion GOTY for $10, and Fallout 3 and New Vegas collections for $20 each.

And then of course, there's the swath of big-budget games that have maybe 10-20 hours worth of gameplay in them, so the $60 price tag is really just about making the game look super pretty. I don't care to pay a premium for visual polish, so again, wait for a sale. Black Ops 2? Good for a single run through the campaign, but then just used for some multiplayer fun every now and then. Batman, same deal: it's fun while it lasts... but there's little replayability.

Also, like a good chunk of America, I'm fairly broke right now, so having options for cheaper gaming is incredibly useful to me. Frankly, if it weren't possible to play games for cheap, I would know very little of the last generation of gaming. Pretty much just GTA. No Assassin's Creed, no Fallout/Elder Scrolls, no Batman, Far Cry, Dishonored, Rage, Borderlands, Saint's Row... All of these are games I picked up on sale, or had no prior knowledge of, so I would have never considered them if I HAD to pay $60 for each.
---
CM HAF 912|MSI 890FXA-GD65|AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.4GHz|XFX HD-6870 1GB
Patriot 8GB DDR3 1600|1TB SATA Spinpoint HDD|XFX 650W PSU|ASUS 23" LED LCD
#185SirLezdainPosted 1/4/2013 1:44:24 AM
Have you ever purchased a:

-Used DVD
-Used car
-Used house
-Used system
-Used tv
-Used book
-Basically anything from a flea market
-Borrowed/rented any book/game/movie

Yes? Then shut the **** up. The only reason why second-hand purchases are suddenly an issue is because of piracy, and now unless you're buying a game brand-spanking new you're suddenly being accused of taking food from out of the developers' mouths. The very foundation of their new found complaints is based in dishonesty. The thing is, I wouldn't mind being forced to buy everything new if prices were more reasonable and I didn't have to worry about the fear of a particular title going out of print.

To hell with their incessant whining. As far as I'm concerned, when I'm buying a game I'm purchasing all rights to that particular copy and with it the freedom to sell it after I'm finished with it or to lend it to friends and family. If this is no longer the case, then my money is staying in my bank account to fund more productive activities.
#186crunchb3rryPosted 1/4/2013 1:49:26 AM(edited)
What's next? We have to buy games we don't even like just to "support the industry?" Kinda sick of that crap, the whole "support the industry" nonsense posted online by kids who like to analyze the industry like they know what they're talking about.

Typically, developers get paid by the publisher. As part of a contract, BEFORE the game even hits stores. And the vast majority don't get royalties either. If a game isn't interesting enough for people to go right out and buy new, that's on the developers, not consumers. And, hey, some people don't have money coming out of their ass to just buy everything new. By the same logic, you could say General Motors employees' kids starve because you bought a used car from an ad in the paper.

It's like you guys WANT anti-consumer stuff like digital distribution. To "support the industry" by not buying games used, but instead buying them at top dollar directly from the publisher. Which means no competing entities to sell that that game, which means no more "sales," just temporarily reduced prices for the download because the publisher is feeling generous.

Most gamers are kinda like Apple fans. They feel the need to throw their money at multi-billion dollar corporations out of "fear" that they'll disappear. If they disappear, somebody else with take their place. Kinda why I actually would like the "industry" to crash. Start over and be a little bit smarter about how they treat consumers. Like [potential] customers again, rather than cattle.
#187Virtue777Posted 1/4/2013 1:47:30 AM
SirLezdain posted...

-Used DVD
-Used car
-Used house
-Used system
-Used tv
-Used book

Yes? Then shut the **** up. The only reason why second-hand purchases are suddenly an issue is because of piracy, and now unless you're buying a game brand-spanking new you're suddenly being accused of taking food from out of the developers' mouths. The very foundation of their new found complaints is based in dishonesty. The thing is, I wouldn't mind being forced to buy everything new if prices were more reasonable and I didn't have to worry about the fear of a particular title going out of print.

To hell with their incessant whining. As far as I'm concerned, when I'm buying a game I'm purchasing all rights to that particular copy and with it the freedom to sell it after I'm finished with it or to lend it to friends and family. If this is no longer the case, then my money is staying in my bank account to fund more productive activities.

bye
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#188SirLezdainPosted 1/4/2013 1:52:21 AM
To continue my thoughts, the developers have already been paid in full for the copy they sold; the transaction is complete, they shouldn't be paid twice for the same copy. If they want people to buy something new then they need to offer POSITIVE incentives (IE not punishing people for buying used, but rewarding) for day-one purchases, as in offering a quality experience that most people will not want to wait to experience.

It's ridiculous that developers are growing disappointed by sales that only breach one million. They need to manage their budgets; not every quality title needs to have a Hobbit level production value. Games are not movies. People are less willing to part with $60 for a C grade experience. You spent $50 million on the budget and 1.5 million copies sold isn't cutting it? Tough ****, apparently it was money poorly spent. Either justify your production costs or spend less.
#189SirLezdainPosted 1/4/2013 1:53:05 AM
Virtue777 posted...
SirLezdain posted...

-Used DVD
-Used car
-Used house
-Used system
-Used tv
-Used book

bye

Look out, we've got a mental giant here.
#190Virtue777Posted 1/4/2013 1:53:58 AM
SirLezdain posted...
Virtue777 posted...
SirLezdain posted...

-Used DVD
-Used car
-Used house
-Used system
-Used tv
-Used book

bye

Look out, we've got a mental giant here.

don't be mad, you're moving onto a new hobby soon so why does someone on a video game forum make you angry?
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382