This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would people rather give their money to EB/Gamestop than to developers?

#191SirLezdainPosted 1/4/2013 1:59:44 AM
Virtue777 posted...
SirLezdain posted...
Virtue777 posted...
SirLezdain posted...
Have you ever purchased a:

-Used DVD
-Used car
-Used house
-Used system
-Used tv
-Used book
-Basically anything from a flea market
-Borrowed/rented any book/game/movie

Yes? Then shut the **** up. The only reason why second-hand purchases are suddenly an issue is because of piracy, and now unless you're buying a game brand-spanking new you're suddenly being accused of taking food from out of the developers' mouths. The very foundation of their new found complaints is based in dishonesty. The thing is, I wouldn't mind being forced to buy everything new if prices were more reasonable and I didn't have to worry about the fear of a particular title going out of print.

To hell with their incessant whining. As far as I'm concerned, when I'm buying a game I'm purchasing all rights to that particular copy and with it the freedom to sell it after I'm finished with it or to lend it to friends and family. If this is no longer the case, then my money is staying in my bank account to fund more productive activities.

bye

Look out, we've got a mental giant here.

don't be mad, you're moving onto a new hobby soon so why does someone on a video game forum make you angry?

Intentionally misinterpreting what I wrote while simultaneously failing to counter any of the points I made, and to top it off utilizing a lame troll response that's older than the Rosetta Stone. Good job.
#192Virtue777Posted 1/4/2013 2:01:24 AM
what points? i just wished you well as you went on your way to another hobby.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#193SirLezdainPosted 1/4/2013 2:06:15 AM
Virtue777 posted...

Pro tip: you should actually read the things you quote. That way, you avoid looking stupid.
#194Virtue777Posted 1/4/2013 2:10:05 AM
SirLezdain posted...
Virtue777 posted...

Pro tip: you should actually read the things you quote. That way, you avoid looking stupid.

pro tip: you mad
---
#195Virtue777Posted 1/4/2013 2:12:01 AM(edited)
have fun playing magic the gathering and warhammer 40***
---
#196SirLezdainPosted 1/4/2013 2:13:52 AM
Virtue777 posted...
SirLezdain posted...
Virtue777 posted...

Lol, that again? Awful.
#197blankempathyPosted 1/4/2013 2:15:25 AM
Virtue777 posted...
have fun playing magic the gathering and warhammer 40***

Are you 12? Seriously how is that an insult? lol
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#198Virtue777Posted 1/4/2013 2:15:29 AM
SirLezdain posted...
Virtue777 posted...
SirLezdain posted...
Virtue777 posted...

Lol, that again? Awful.

magic the gathering is pretty awful
---
#199Ruff_PuffPosted 1/4/2013 2:52:20 AM
I only buy pre-owned if I can't find the game new (at a reasonable price).
---
PSN: Ruff-Puff
#200MarquisRyizPosted 1/4/2013 3:00:47 AM

You forget every one could just get the Wii U, which ALLOWS used games :) and not get the new Xbox or PS. Today for ex i bought two 3DS games and 4 DS games. 2 were bought new, the other 4 were bought used. Do i feel bad? Heck no.

I don't really feel bad either, as long as I can I'mma get my games used which is never now that I'm part of the master race and use steam getting discounts at 50% off or better discount. You got me with the Wii U though, I didn't think about it because everyone on Gfaqs love to hate it. I'm just trying to get people to see it from the developers and publishers point of view.

The recent boom of DLC and DRM, tacked on multiplayer, online passes, purchase deals (i.e story excusives, day one released DLC, free DLC with registered codes think mass effect 2.) Nearly all of these things are done in an effort to combat used games. That extra feeling these days that they're trying to nickel and dime everybody? They're trying to get their money. Unlike a pirate who may pirate a game like it and try a legit copy maybe even new, you'll never ever hear of a used gamer buying a new copy of anything they already payed for. Part of the reason I think many developers are starting to feel that used games hurt more because it's legal and no one feels like anyone is losing anything but they are. It wasn't so bad years ago but the boom of gamestop as made it gigantic.

As a company i.e gamestop. If I can only order 300k-400k of a single title and know that I'll almost never have to order another shipment again. Buy games low and resell higher for nearly the entire life span of that game, bet money I sure as heck am going to do it. That's nothing but profit.

One of my article notes, years ago a game could sell for 5 or 10+ years. Think Final Fantasy 7. That game has sold over 10 million copies since it's release. Imagine if the used market was as large as it is today? Along with pirating. I'm sure it wouldn't sell much more than a couple million being a single player game that it is. Which is why many companies are pushing multiplayer and online passes.

Unless your game is a FPS, Pokemon, Elder Scrolls or Super Mario in the title the chances of it selling more than 1 - 2 million is slim because of the used market and piracy. Of course their are some exceptions but it holds true for most, especially for new I.Ps which is why I think developers and publishers hate used games. Its even worse for console exclusives.