This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would people rather give their money to EB/Gamestop than to developers?

#21Thor61Posted 1/3/2013 7:03:25 PM
I'm not a corporate loyalist. I look out for the best deal I can get, nothing more.
#22chiefofsb78Posted 1/3/2013 7:03:26 PM
Sevi_ney posted...
No. But we also don't want to buy games like Hitman 5 for 70$ only to find them too boring and restrictive to play, despite a supposed AAA status.

You buy a game without knowing what your buying just because the name and its suppose to be a AAA title thats your own fault theres plenty of info and gameplay out there to see before you buy games
#23chiefofsb78Posted 1/3/2013 7:04:37 PM
tmons78 posted...
-Damien- posted...
If you buy used, not a single cent goes to the developers or Sony.

How much money goes to the developer if you buy new?

Whatever the wholesale price the developers charge the retailers of course
#24ThatLaoGuyPosted 1/3/2013 7:04:41 PM
If this is about a potential sony console eliminating used games, it's less about selling used games to gamestop and more about having the freedom to do with my game as I please.

I lend out games and borrow games too. I never buy used games nor do I trade in games.
---
Gamertag: That Lao Guy
#25IChangedMyNamePosted 1/3/2013 7:05:53 PM
thisismyusernme posted...
Because they're ignorant and can't add. They actually think they're saving money.

Someone will buy a brand new game on day 1 for $60. Beat it in a week and trade it back in for $30. GameStop sells that same game to someone else for $55 and the original guy buys someone elses just released used copy for $55. Wow I just saved myself $5!!! Duhrhurrrr!

And then the cycle repeats itself.

GameStop is ripping off the industry, but more importantly they are ripping off the gamers, their own customer base, but they're just too ignorant to realize it.

Riiiight, because used game prices are in no way affected by the same devs your claiming GS if killing?

You think GS would price there games that way because they can? It'd be soooo much easier to make a profit under cutting the industry but GS doesn't. GS prices the games that way so that consumers don't feel obligate to buy a game used.

Think about it, from a business point of view it doesn't make sense to sell a game at 5 bux cheaper but they do because the relationship with devs would be shattered if they sold the games at 15 bux or more cheaper used.

Ignorance plays both ways in this argument.
---
I play a lil bit of everything on a lil bit of everything.
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#26Sevi_neyPosted 1/3/2013 7:07:23 PM
chiefofsb78 posted...
Sevi_ney posted...
No. But we also don't want to buy games like Hitman 5 for 70$ only to find them too boring and restrictive to play, despite a supposed AAA status.

You buy a game without knowing what your buying just because the name and its suppose to be a AAA title thats your own fault theres plenty of info and gameplay out there to see before you buy games

See, you don't know if I researched it or not, that's just a wild assumption.
---
I got into game design because I loved kids. I wanted to make them happy and give them something fun to do. Now I want them all to die. ~ game designer Totality
#27CaptainLukaPosted 1/3/2013 7:08:34 PM
chiefofsb78 posted...
tmons78 posted...
-Damien- posted...
If you buy used, not a single cent goes to the developers or Sony.

How much money goes to the developer if you buy new?

Whatever the wholesale price the publishers charge the retailers of course

Fixed.

This is the biggest issue I'm seeing around here. People need to know the difference between developers and publishers. The developers get paid for creating the game. They get normal paychecks during the project and then nothing else. The publishers are the ones who charge the retailers for copies of the game.
---
My spell check just had a mental breakdown...
#28thisismyusernmePosted 1/3/2013 7:09:56 PM
IChangedMyName posted...
thisismyusernme posted...
Because they're ignorant and can't add. They actually think they're saving money.

Someone will buy a brand new game on day 1 for $60. Beat it in a week and trade it back in for $30. GameStop sells that same game to someone else for $55 and the original guy buys someone elses just released used copy for $55. Wow I just saved myself $5!!! Duhrhurrrr!

And then the cycle repeats itself.

GameStop is ripping off the industry, but more importantly they are ripping off the gamers, their own customer base, but they're just too ignorant to realize it.

Riiiight, because used game prices are in no way affected by the same devs your claiming GS if killing?

You think GS would price there games that way because they can? It'd be soooo much easier to make a profit under cutting the industry but GS doesn't. GS prices the games that way so that consumers don't feel obligate to buy a game used.

Think about it, from a business point of view it doesn't make sense to sell a game at 5 bux cheaper but they do because the relationship with devs would be shattered if they sold the games at 15 bux or more cheaper used.

Ignorance plays both ways in this argument.

Dude to hell with the developers they're already rich I really don't care about their pockets we just so happen to be in agreement. I'm more aggravated at the fact that the majority of their profits are ones that should have gone to the developers to begin with but they are ripping off their own customers in the process. They don't even attempt to make it seem like a good deal. $30 trade in for a $60 game that they are going to turn around and sell for $55 and make a $25 profit on?
---
Clan Leader, Status-DISAVOWED
#29chiefofsb78Posted 1/3/2013 7:10:07 PM
Sevi_ney posted...
chiefofsb78 posted...
Sevi_ney posted...

If you researched the game then thats even worst if i dont like what im seeing then i simply dont buy
#30Sevi_neyPosted 1/3/2013 7:11:16 PM
chiefofsb78 posted...
Sevi_ney posted...
chiefofsb78 posted...
Sevi_ney posted...

If you researched the game then thats even worst if i dont like what im seeing then i simply dont buy

Watching videos, getting info and the like is different than actually playing the game. Your right though, should have rented it from gamefly first.
---
I got into game design because I loved kids. I wanted to make them happy and give them something fun to do. Now I want them all to die. ~ game designer Totality