This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would people rather give their money to EB/Gamestop than to developers?

#201TheDon1981Posted 1/4/2013 4:05:50 AM
It's anti-consumer, like Jack Tretton said it.

I want to do whatever I want with my games. I always buy new, but sell some titles after finishing them. That generates income to buy more NEW games.
---
LBP2 levels:
Paper Scissors Rock Championship - Mortal Kombat 9 - Ultimate Deathmatch
#202Bottler0cketPosted 1/4/2013 5:24:56 AM
I buy used games because it's what I can afford.

To give you an example, I recently purchased Uncharted. A game that is 5 years old. I paid 8 for it used, while new it would have cost me 16.50 (amazon). So that a saving of 50%, quite significant.

I wish I was in a position where I could afford to buy new. But that's simply not where I am.

Do I feel bad that the developers are not getting my money from the purchase? no. If there game is good enough I will purchase DLC so there's always that. But the reason I don't feel bad is that I know that when someone trades in a game the money is more often than not spent on a brand new title, so the developer does get the money they so love in the end.

Blocking the used game market (which I don't think will happen, yet), will not increase the revenue for developers or Sony as all it will mean is that people will buy less games. The people who trade in games in order to buy that brand new title will not be able to do so, resulting in less game sales.

The idea that the used game market does not support the games industry, or even hinders it is simply not true. Just like how the second hand car market does not hinder motor industry or people buying new cars.

Don't believe the lies that greedy business men put out. Things are not as simple as "used game hurt developers". Developers are going out of business because of their own sloppy practices.

If ford went out of business, it is their own fault, not because people are buying second hand fords.
#203Jinzo 111887Posted 1/4/2013 8:45:06 AM
Think about it this way - the developers would have gotten money when the game was intitally bought, but when the original buyer sells it, they loose the ability to play it. So even if it gets sold on several times, it is not as if 3 people are playing at once on one copy.

Regardless of my feelings about giving my money to EB vs developers, the tech to prevent the playing of used games reeks of ill thought out, knee jerk actions.

What if I want to bring a multiplayer game over to a friends, I won't be able to play it with him unless I bring my own console with me.

Exactly. This is why I believe gamesharing is worse. Actually, that could be what's eating into a companies profits, not used games. Used games keep the 1:1 ratio in tact. (That game can only be in one place at a time.)
Doesn't matter, the PS4 and 720 is probably the last disc based gen. It will probably go all digital after that.

They should do this with the PS4, 720 and WiiU already. Disc read speed is slow compared to hard disk and you're also more limited by space.

Doubt it, some people can't even get good internet access. I can't get a true broadband connection out here where I live. Going digital/streaming only would isolate potential customers that live in a place where ISPs refuse to offer a good connection.
The only reason why second-hand purchases are suddenly an issue is because of piracy, and now unless you're buying a game brand-spanking new you're suddenly being accused of taking food from out of the developers' mouths. The very foundation of their new found complaints is based in dishonesty. The thing is, I wouldn't mind being forced to buy everything new if prices were more reasonable and I didn't have to worry about the fear of a particular title going out of print.

To hell with their incessant whining. As far as I'm concerned, when I'm buying a game I'm purchasing all rights to that particular copy and with it the freedom to sell it after I'm finished with it or to lend it to friends and family. If this is no longer the case, then my money is staying in my bank account to fund more productive activities.

Well said. I'd buy new when possible, but if they are going to act like children, I'll just skip their game since it wasn't made by a team of professional adults.
To continue my thoughts, the developers have already been paid in full for the copy they sold; the transaction is complete, they shouldn't be paid twice for the same copy. If they want people to buy something new then they need to offer POSITIVE incentives (IE not punishing people for buying used, but rewarding) for day-one purchases, as in offering a quality experience that most people will not want to wait to experience.

It's ridiculous that developers are growing disappointed by sales that only breach one million. They need to manage their budgets; not every quality title needs to have a Hobbit level production value. Games are not movies. People are less willing to part with $60 for a C grade experience. You spent $50 million on the budget and 1.5 million copies sold isn't cutting it? Tough ****, apparently it was money poorly spent. Either justify your production costs or spend less.

I agree. GOG and Nintendo do a good job of this. This might be part of their success. As for the budget, that's one thing they need to do, too. I mean, I don't need HD graphics. PS2 era graphic are fine by me.
---
Giygas used the Red Ring of Death to sabotage Slenderman's plan to use Xbox 360s and Halo to brainwash kids.
#204theshovellerPosted 1/4/2013 8:47:17 AM
Because I save $5 (sometimes $7 with my edge card!) and don't have to worry about an online pass / new user "goodies" or anything for a game I might not be able to find new anymore because it's been years since Splatterhouse came out on PS3?

Those seem like good reasons.
#205NewavePosted 1/5/2013 4:04:10 PM
crunchb3rry posted...
What's next? We have to buy games we don't even like just to "support the industry?" Kinda sick of that crap, the whole "support the industry" nonsense posted online by kids who like to analyze the industry like they know what they're talking about.

Typically, developers get paid by the publisher. As part of a contract, BEFORE the game even hits stores. And the vast majority don't get royalties either. If a game isn't interesting enough for people to go right out and buy new, that's on the developers, not consumers. And, hey, some people don't have money coming out of their ass to just buy everything new. By the same logic, you could say General Motors employees' kids starve because you bought a used car from an ad in the paper.

It's like you guys WANT anti-consumer stuff like digital distribution. To "support the industry" by not buying games used, but instead buying them at top dollar directly from the publisher. Which means no competing entities to sell that that game, which means no more "sales," just temporarily reduced prices for the download because the publisher is feeling generous.

Most gamers are kinda like Apple fans. They feel the need to throw their money at multi-billion dollar corporations out of "fear" that they'll disappear. If they disappear, somebody else with take their place. Kinda why I actually would like the "industry" to crash. Start over and be a little bit smarter about how they treat consumers. Like [potential] customers again, rather than cattle.

Too... much... TRUTH!

My internet-body can't handle it, it's not used to this much sense, logic and intelligent reasoning!
---
I have: NES, GB, GBA(3), PSX(5), DC, PS2, PSP(2), GC(2), Wii, XB(2), XB360
I want: GBP, GBL, GBC, SNES, MD, MCD, 32X, SS, PS3, PSV
#206Lozh900Posted 1/5/2013 6:34:21 PM
I don't get to buy all my games on the day they are released be ayes I have other things to buy and pay for. Usually between all (I own all 6 systems Wii, Wii u, ps3, Xbox 360, 3ds and vita and I have a gaming PC on top of that) my gaming machines in one month there can be anywhere from 4 - 10 games I want in a month.

Then there is time I need to actually get through these games which must fit around work, the gf and other things.

It's not always possible for me to get them new as I have to prioritise which ganes to buy and when and after a few months some games are actually quite hard to find new.

(Takes of vesperia on Xbox 360 for one which I've had to buy used at 35 because its not very easy to get hold of at any reasonable price)

If there were no used games I couldn't play done of these games as digital I refuse to buy. I won't get tied to a digital game on a console. PC I don't mind. If my PC breaks repair or replace it. Log in to steam and all my ganes download and are playable.

With a console there is no repair myself. Buy a new system or pay rediculous amount to get repaired.

Next gen comes, old games don't run on new hardware so if my ps3/360 whatever breaks no way to play them ever again as most likely the servers are shut down fur older consoles.

With my PC, it will always be able to play because as my PC improves so do my graphics and performance. A few odd ganes don't run in newer os's but must games can be run or there are work arounds.

If used ganes go away devs won't be in any better situation because ill still be buying on priority and if I can't get a game fine the road used they still lost out as if I bought new.

Devs lose badly if used goes away because I could pick up an out if print game and love it and buy any upcoming games in the series new from then on and also a lot if people (not me, don't trade in any game I buy) use trade ins to afford a new release.

Watch sakes plummet when people on lower incomes can't do that anymore.

Those who say used us bad are so wrong that when no used dies happen their beloved hobby will become a shadow of its former self.

News flash, it's estimated 70 % of the worlds population and on lower incomes and incomes where hobbies aren't first priority.

I reckon a large large chunk if gamers are in that situation. If they can't trade in fur new releases they just won't buy as many games.

Watch the devs and publishers cry when that one all backfires on their sales.
---
XBL/GFW-L : Loz Gloss Hill / PSN : JenovaRebirth / Steam : Jenova19848 / WiiU ID : ???
i7 2600k @ 3.8ghz / 8gb ram / Gtx 560 / 1tb hdd / win 7 home 64bit
#207calhoun1389Posted 1/5/2013 8:54:45 PM
What's with this misconception that buying new automatically means buying a game day 1? A game can be bought new so long as the publishers are still publishing copies of the game, be it day 1, or 5 years after release. I can go to Amazon and buy Uncharted 1 new from a vendor for $12. Generally, if you can't find a new copy of a game then either you're looking for one that sold like crap, a game isn't from this generation of gaming, or you're not even trying...

Can't afford Day 1 purchases? Ok, then wait for the retail price to drop to an affordable price.
---
My first born, Jackson was born on Friday, May 11, 2012.
My Anime List: http://tinyurl.com/c6ylh9y (Updates regularly)
#208Jinzo 111887Posted 1/5/2013 11:20:43 PM(edited)
What's with this misconception that buying new automatically means buying a game day 1? A game can be bought new so long as the publishers are still publishing copies of the game, be it day 1, or 5 years after release. I can go to Amazon and buy Uncharted 1 new from a vendor for $12. Generally, if you can't find a new copy of a game then either you're looking for one that sold like crap, a game isn't from this generation of gaming, or you're not even trying...

Can't afford Day 1 purchases? Ok, then wait for the retail price to drop to an affordable price.

But their attempts at fighting used games are making them look childish. For me, it's not about money but principal. They failed to satisfy a customer to point where they want to keep them the game, yet they still got the money from it. Not exactly right, is it? They just got rewarded for failure. Used games would normally be a form of punishment for that, but now they are trying to weasel out of it.
---
Secure... Contain... Protect... Containment Breach?
http://www.scpcbgame.com/
#209Killingjoke_666Posted 1/5/2013 11:22:42 PM
who buys used games at EB? Might as well pay for new with those prices.
---
Otto: Wow! I had Mustard?!
#210calhoun1389Posted 1/6/2013 12:02:50 AM
Jinzo 111887 posted...
They failed to satisfy a customer to point where they want to keep them the game, yet they still got the money from it. ... They just got rewarded for failure. Used games would normally be a form of punishment for that, but now they are trying to weasel out of it.

This post is nothing but a crock of s***, games being sold has very little to do with the quality of the game. The only possible way for publishers to stop used game sales without "attacking" the used game market is to make a universally perfect game with infinite replay value that continually pays players for playing, a feat that is impossible. Regardless of how good they make a game, some people are still going to end up selling it before the console generation is up. The day after Uncharted 2 was released, if not the day of release, Gamestop somehow had a fairly wealthy stock of used copies of the game. Doesn't matter that the game was near perfect, some people still sold it for whatever reason.

The way it is now, every game gets sold to Gamestop and every game gets bought used, regardless of the quality of the game.
---
My first born, Jackson was born on Friday, May 11, 2012.
My Anime List: http://tinyurl.com/c6ylh9y (Updates regularly)