This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would people rather give their money to EB/Gamestop than to developers?

#211Jinzo 111887Posted 1/6/2013 2:24:58 AM
Jinzo 111887 posted...
They failed to satisfy a customer to point where they want to keep them the game, yet they still got the money from it. ... They just got rewarded for failure. Used games would normally be a form of punishment for that, but now they are trying to weasel out of it.

1.)The only possible way for publishers to stop used game sales without "attacking" the used game market is to make a universally perfect game with infinite replay value that continually pays players for playing, a feat that is impossible.

2.)Regardless of how good they make a game, some people are still going to end up selling it before the console generation is up. The day after Uncharted 2 was released, if not the day of release, Gamestop somehow had a fairly wealthy stock of used copies of the game. Doesn't matter that the game was near perfect, some people still sold it for whatever reason.

3.)The way it is now, every game gets sold to Gamestop and every game gets bought used, regardless of the quality of the game.

1.) The important thing is to keep them hooked at least until they break even. I mean, a number of games can keep people hooked. Earthbound, Everquest, Animal Crossing, Little Big Planet, Modnation Racers, Tetris, ect. It also helps when you give people tools to create their own custom content.

2.) Probably wasn't their kind of game, but the company still got paid for it, even though it wasn't a satisfied customer. Unfortunately, you can't satisfy everyone. Thing is, unsatisfied customers don't count as sales. Since they get to keep the money from an unsatisfied customer, it seems like used are fair game.

3.) I haven't seen Earthbound on Gamestop's shelves. Sadly, people sell some classic games for a lot more (some times by insane amounts compared to their VC counterparts) than they are worth. Heck, even classics in new condition can go for a small fortune. Yet you don't see Nintendo complaining about losing Virtual Console sales to the reselling of old cartridges.
---
At least Nintendo and Good Old Games are treating customers right instead of taking them for granted. They provide light during dark times.
#212RoxasANobodyPosted 1/6/2013 2:33:56 AM
Band Hero was initially $60 which is actually $67 including tax. I also bought Rock Band 3, Lego Rock Band, Guitar Hero: World Tour, Guitar Hero 5, Rock Band 2, and Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock used. If I bought them all at full MSRP when they were released, I would've spent ~$470 on those games. Instead, I waited a while and bought them all at a nice discounted price. In total, I only spent $50 on those used games. So, I saved a total of $420. For those who always like to bring up "saving five dollars on a new game", you clearly don't understand how most people use Gamestop/EB Games/other gaming stores.

If I'm going to buy a relatively new game and I can't wait for it, I'll buy it new right off the shelf. If I can wait a while, I'll be able to get a game that I don't really care about in a year or so. I remember buying the Augmented version of Deus Ex for $20 six months after it was released due to Best Buy having overstock.

There's a quote I made in a previous topic. The only responses I got were, "Well, we aren't talking about that. We're talking about more expensive games." which completely deviates from the point I'm making and it only proves that none of you actually have a point. What some of these posts boil down to is, "Well, sure, you can get games cheaper if you waited longer, BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. SAVE $5 ON A NEW GAME BRO LOL." The only point some of you seem to have is, "You don't save money from Gamestop/EB because you're trying to buy a new game." and that logic is obviously wrong.

I give my money to whoever I want because it's my money. If I want to buy a project car off of Craigslist because I want to blow off $4K, f*** me for not supporting Mazda and their newest models, right?
---
"Fantastic baby."
Currently playing: R&C HD Collection, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, and Assassin's Creed III
#213calhoun1389Posted 1/6/2013 3:43:32 AM
Jinzo 111887 posted...
1.) The important thing is to keep them hooked at least until they break even. I mean, a number of games can keep people hooked. Earthbound, Everquest, Animal Crossing, Little Big Planet, Modnation Racers, Tetris, ect. It also helps when you give people tools to create their own custom content.

2.) Probably wasn't their kind of game, but the company still got paid for it, even though it wasn't a satisfied customer. Unfortunately, you can't satisfy everyone. Thing is, unsatisfied customers don't count as sales. Since they get to keep the money from an unsatisfied customer, it seems like used are fair game.

3.) I haven't seen Earthbound on Gamestop's shelves. Sadly, people sell some classic games for a lot more (some times by insane amounts compared to their VC counterparts) than they are worth. Heck, even classics in new condition can go for a small fortune. Yet you don't see Nintendo complaining about losing Virtual Console sales to the reselling of old cartridges.

1) I don't see how any of what you said here is contending my point that it's nearly impossible to end 7th gen used game sales without "attacking" the used game industry... None of the console games you've listed can be counted as "never sold second hand during their generation." Sure, some people may still have their launch copy of LittleBig Planet, but there are still thousands who sold their copy to Gamestop.

2) If you're trying to say that the used sales are a way of communicating dissatisfaction to the publishers, you're wrong. What it's communicating to them is that people are playing their games and they aren't seeing a dime for their effort. It's communicating that regardless of how many millions of dollars they put into a game, people aren't going to keep a hold of it. Continually buying games from Gamestop is only perpetuating that the company needs to die in order for those millions they make off used PS360 games to get to their rightful owners, the publishers.

3) I didn't think I'd have to be so literal, but ok, let's rephrase that "Every game that Gamestop is willing to accept, has been sold to Gamestop at some point in time." Before they dropped SNES games in 2004, you very well could have found Earthbound on their website or in a store somewhere, though that doesn't matter since the issue isn't games from last gen or before being sold, it's current gen games being resold as early as their launch day, thus taking sales from the publishers.
---
My first born, Jackson was born on Friday, May 11, 2012.
My Anime List: http://tinyurl.com/c6ylh9y (Updates regularly)
#214Jinzo 111887Posted 1/6/2013 11:25:19 AM
Jinzo 111887 posted...

1) I don't see how any of what you said here is contending my point that it's nearly impossible to end 7th gen used game sales without "attacking" the used game industry... None of the console games you've listed can be counted as "never sold second hand during their generation." Sure, some people may still have their launch copy of LittleBig Planet, but there are still thousands who sold their copy to Gamestop.

2) If you're trying to say that the used sales are a way of communicating dissatisfaction to the publishers, you're wrong. What it's communicating to them is that people are playing their games and they aren't seeing a dime for their effort. It's communicating that regardless of how many millions of dollars they put into a game, people aren't going to keep a hold of it. Continually buying games from Gamestop is only perpetuating that the company needs to die in order for those millions they make off used PS360 games to get to their rightful owners, the publishers.

3) I didn't think I'd have to be so literal, but ok, let's rephrase that "Every game that Gamestop is willing to accept, has been sold to Gamestop at some point in time." Before they dropped SNES games in 2004, you very well could have found Earthbound on their website or in a store somewhere, though that doesn't matter since the issue isn't games from last gen or before being sold, it's current gen games being resold as early as their launch day, thus taking sales from the publishers.

1.)True, but the important thing is to keep people hooked long enough to break even. Although, it is important to remember that people trade games in for new stuff, too. Either to get cash for it or to help make room for it.

2.)In order for a used sale to exist, it will have to have been sold new first, that's what I mean. If they can keep people satisfied, their would be less used games available for sale.

3.)Speaking of which, I kind wish Gamestop would get back into selling cartridge games from the 16-bit era. There are a few games I want to play on my PC via USB cartridge reader (yes, such a thing exists now.) Anyway, if those games are showing up on launch day, someone didn't get what they wanted, which doesn't count as a sale. Yet the company still got paid for that fake sale. Not fair getting paid for failure.
---
"Michael Vick was arrested for getting in an assault plane and shooting down other planes?" - L0Z
#215EchidneysPosted 1/6/2013 11:29:21 AM
When you have bills and gas money and rent to think about, $5-$20 extra begins to add up. Until a band of heroes stops the giant evil corporation, I'll choose to save money while I have the option. It's not like any of the games or series I like get continued or localized anyway.
---
PSN: Echidneys | 3DS: 4468 1242 8413
"It sucks, and you're all stupid for liking it."
#216calhoun1389Posted 1/6/2013 6:57:08 PM
Jinzo 111887 posted...
1.)Although, it is important to remember that people trade games in for new stuff, too. Either to get cash for it or to help make room for it.

2.)In order for a used sale to exist, it will have to have been sold new first, that's what I mean. If they can keep people satisfied, their would be less used games available for sale.

3.)Anyway, if those games are showing up on launch day, someone didn't get what they wanted, which doesn't count as a sale. Yet the company still got paid for that fake sale. Not fair getting paid for failure.

1) You also have to acknowledge that there are also millions people who trade in/sell games to buy more used games. Gamestop alone makes 8-9 digit income solely off used games every year.

2) Yes, a game has to be bought new first, but then it can be sold back a near infinite number of times allowing that 1 new sale to become upwards of 10 used sales, which is in turn taking 1 new sale from the publishers every time that single copy is sold as "used."

3) Or people just have extremely high expectations for hyped games. Back when GTA4 was launched, I knew several people who planned to create little gangs online and do a lot of cool things. Game got released and none of that was possible so they got annoyed or disappointed with the game. I know one guy who buys each CoD game to see if it's changed back to the type of game CoD4 was, then sells them to Gamestop because they aren't.

Very often, people don't do proper research into a game (watch gameplay videos, read user reviews, rent the game, etc.) before buying it, they get disappointed that the game they bought wasn't exactly the game they thought they paid for, then they get rid of it. There are also other reasons to get rid of a game too, such as need for more money or needing to clean out your game collection. Whatever the reason, people sell games for more reasons than just "the game was bad in their opinion."

And it's not a fake sale, someone wanted the game, bought it (even if it's just an impulse buy)... regardless of whether or not it lived up to their standards, they bought it and it was a legitimate sale. You show the publishers dissatisfaction by not buying from them again, not selling it to Gamestop.
---
#217Godly_GoofPosted 1/6/2013 7:07:07 PM
I know I posted it in here before but since it's gotten lost in the shuffle I'll repost this.

You know when you trade in a game at GameStop you get store credit that can only be used on other games or hardware which in turn will 99% of the time result in another new game purchase which basically means that the game company that's game has been traded in has returned a full profit to that company. Then again for the next game the person gets in turn returning a profit to both game developers. Because if it's new the value is also substantial it's basically GS paying for the next game with the trade-in value alone and sending it all to the next game developer >.>
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#218calhoun1389Posted 1/6/2013 7:38:42 PM(edited)
Godly_Goof posted...
You know when you trade in a game at GameStop you get store credit that can only be used on other games or hardware which in turn will 99% of the time result in another new game purchase

I'm sorry, where exactly did you get this statistic from, or are you just talking about what you do and equating it to what everyone does?

Though it's all beside the point as the issue isn't what people do with the money they get back, it's Gamestop's enabling people to buy current gen games without any money being kicked back. Sure, someone trades in GTA4 for CoD4 and Activision gets the money for that game. However, someone else comes in and buys GTA4 used which then takes money from Rockstar. That's lost revenue for Rockstar games that shouldn't have been lost in the first place.
---
#219Jinzo 111887Posted 1/6/2013 11:44:44 PM
1) You also have to acknowledge that there are also millions people who trade in/sell games to buy more used games. Gamestop alone makes 8-9 digit income solely off used games every year.

2) Yes, a game has to be bought new first, but then it can be sold back a near infinite number of times allowing that 1 new sale to become upwards of 10 used sales, which is in turn taking 1 new sale from the publishers every time that single copy is sold as "used."

3) Or people just have extremely high expectations for hyped games. Back when GTA4 was launched, I knew several people who planned to create little gangs online and do a lot of cool things. Game got released and none of that was possible so they got annoyed or disappointed with the game. I know one guy who buys each CoD game to see if it's changed back to the type of game CoD4 was, then sells them to Gamestop because they aren't.

4.)Very often, people don't do proper research into a game (watch gameplay videos, read user reviews, rent the game, etc.) before buying it, they get disappointed that the game they bought wasn't exactly the game they thought they paid for, then they get rid of it. There are also other reasons to get rid of a game too, such as need for more money or needing to clean out your game collection. Whatever the reason, people sell games for more reasons than just "the game was bad in their opinion."

5.)And it's not a fake sale, someone wanted the game, bought it (even if it's just an impulse buy)... regardless of whether or not it lived up to their standards, they bought it and it was a legitimate sale. You show the publishers dissatisfaction by not buying from them again, not selling it to Gamestop.

1.)Yes, but at least the company got some money from it, unlike when people pirate a game. If everyone pirated the game, they'd get jack squat. At least with used games, they get something the first time it's sold.
2.)A single game can only be in one place at a time, it's not like those 10 people can all be playing it at the same time from the same disc.
3.)Which is why they shouldn't go overboard with hype. Heck, maybe doing that can help with the games budget.
4.)True, but it's not like that stuff is getting easier to find. There are take down orders that result in videos being removed from youtube, rental companies aren't what they used to be thanks to online rental services and these lame anti-used game tricks, and let's not forget about people online can easily right a troll review just to damage a game's sales because they don't like a company.)
5.)Except you can't call unhappy customers "real sales." If they couldn't return the product, they'd probably decide to write bad reviews, which would hurt sales of future installments. Thing is, either way the company still got paid.
---
Secure... Contain... Protect... Containment Breach?
http://www.scpcbgame.com/
#220deadmarvPosted 1/6/2013 11:59:33 PM
From now on, I'm not going to give bethe$da, or any developer that uses them as a publisher, anymore money. I'll gladly give it to Gamestop.
---
All PS3 owners should boycott Bethesda.