This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would people rather give their money to EB/Gamestop than to developers?

#241Jinzo 111887Posted 1/8/2013 12:01:32 PM
1) Would be a very amusing day on this board.
2a) True, but when PS3 had potential (or actual, I forget) piracy problems, they fixed the issue and people complained to hell and back. So long as they don't open the systems up too much, piracy shouldn't be too big an issue.
2b) Let's just call it, personal opinion. I'm very much looking forward to the future in gaming. I don't see it as being half as bad as people play it out here. As for used digital games, eh. They can have fun with that. Regardless of it being legalized, it doesn't mean DRM is becoming illegal.
2c) Yeah, but what are you going to do about it. It's like telling the car companies that someone needs to stop trying to compete with the other sports cars. It's not going to happen so long as there is a large consumer base for it.
3) Yeah, but look at GTA5. All we have is one trailer and a bunch of screencaps and people are going apes*** about it.
4) That's good, maybe you should give it a shot, running a company.
5) I didn't say it didn't help them, I said it didn't end used sales for their consoles. All that Nintendo is doing to keep their fans loyal and happy, and yet Gamestop is still getting used sales from DS, Gamecube and Wii titles.

1.)Eternal Darkness on a more modern console could also lead to the same level of entertainment. Sanity Meter will drive newcomers who don't bother to pay attention or read instructions insane. Actually, maybe it can come with a fake single use code as a way to take the game's fourth wall breaking tricks further.
2a.)Still does, if I'm not mistaken. Heck, the Wii proved that firmware didn't need to be hacked or downgraded. Hackers just kept finding new exploits and changed the loader's channel ID every time Nintendo tried to shut them down. Wii Mini isn't exploitable, but that's because Nintendo removed Internet access and SD card support from the system.
2b.)Luckily, America has a clause in DMCA about circumvention when it's expected the media it's on will fail.
2c.)What's the consumer base for Minecraft? I get the feeling that game was cheap to make yet very popular.
3.)Throw in some bogus negative stuff to counter some of the hype. Not a whole lot, but enough to make sure it doesn't become a wildfire.
4.)I think GOG and Nintendo already beat me to it.
5.)Nintendo's no longer supporting Gamecube, so it's not like they are losing anything there. However, I get the feeling that fighting preowned sales is an unwinnable war. With Europe legalizing preowned digital sales, and a block not working because people may hack their system (possible using the thing I mentioned in 2b as grounds for hacking it), there's plenty of potential for it blow up in their face. However, Nintendo and GOG have shown it is possible to gain a bit of an edge without acting like a spoiled child.
---
Giygas used the Red Ring of Death to sabotage Slenderman's plan to use Xbox 360s and Halo to brainwash kids.
#242calhoun1389Posted 1/8/2013 1:12:47 PM
1) I like where you're going with this thought... if only I had the money and connections to make it happen.

2a) I haven't heard anything about people playing pirated games on the PS3 since the "Other OS" feature was removed.. The PSP on the other hand. (lol)

2b) Not even going to pretend to know what you're talking about right here. I mean, I know what the DMCA is, but I have no intention of reading it myself.

2c) There are a few low budget games that do take off (and they're usually for the PC), but most low budget PS3 games get forgotten a month or two after release. Take, for example, Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2012. That game's board has a total of 10 threads and 18 total posts. Low budget games just tend to fail more often now that the consumer base has gotten used to big name titles.

3) Yeah, that's likely never going to happen. Gotta remember, the goal is to maximize profit here, which usually means hiding any and all flaws in the game until after release and usually never addressing them unless it's game breaking.

4) If you say so.

5) I know they don't support it, I just included it for the hell of it. It's not unwinnable, look at how PC handles their games. Sure you can sell them second hand, but the vast majority of them become useless. If Sony/Microsoft actually use competent programmers to keep these system from being screwed with, then they can easily stomp out used gaming with mandatory DRM (similar to Sony's mandatory Trophy rule), or whatever tech Sony craps out to stop it from happening on PS4's.

General question though, how is selling a digital copy going to work exactly? There going to be a "resell to IP" button in games or something that would disable the game on the first unit and enable it on the second unit? I'm not seeing what's stopping people from making a back up on a flash drive, then "selling" their copy of the game to a friend for like $0.01 if not for free. Looks like pirates are winning this war against the industries to me.
---
My first born, Jackson was born on Friday, May 11, 2012.
My Anime List: http://tinyurl.com/c6ylh9y (Updates regularly)
#243kreedersPosted 1/8/2013 1:22:40 PM
gamestop does not make much at all on new games a wholesale price on say Black ops would be 48.95 ea then its 59.99 retail a diff of 11.49, while it is a profit it is not a pay the bill profit, unless its a big sale item. it looks like more than it is.

and I am in no way defending GS they are Crooked i mean they are owned by Barnes and Noble
#244Jinzo 111887Posted 1/8/2013 3:25:43 PM(edited)
1) I like where you're going with this thought... if only I had the money and connections to make it happen.
2) I haven't heard anything about people playing pirated games on the PS3 since the "Other OS" feature was removed.. The PSP on the other hand. (lol)
3) Not even going to pretend to know what you're talking about right here. I mean, I know what the DMCA is, but I have no intention of reading it myself.
4) There are a few low budget games that do take off (and they're usually for the PC), but most low budget PS3 games get forgotten a month or two after release. Take, for example, Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2012. That game's board has a total of 10 threads and 18 total posts. Low budget games just tend to fail more often now that the consumer base has gotten used to big name titles.
5) Yeah, that's likely never going to happen. Gotta remember, the goal is to maximize profit here, which usually means hiding any and all flaws in the game until after release and usually never addressing them unless it's game breaking.
6) I know they don't support it, I just included it for the hell of it. It's not unwinnable, look at how PC handles their games. Sure you can sell them second hand, but the vast majority of them become useless. If Sony/Microsoft actually use competent programmers to keep these system from being screwed with, then they can easily stomp out used gaming with mandatory DRM (similar to Sony's mandatory Trophy rule), or whatever tech Sony craps out to stop it from happening on PS4's.
7.)General question though, how is selling a digital copy going to work exactly? There going to be a "resell to IP" button in games or something that would disable the game on the first unit and enable it on the second unit? I'm not seeing what's stopping people from making a back up on a flash drive, then "selling" their copy of the game to a friend for like $0.01 if not for free. Looks like pirates are winning this war against the industries to me.

1.)It's Nintendo's game, so you'll need to get in touch with them. Although, if you haven't played the original on Gamecube, you might want to look into it.
2.)They're still hacking the System. They are releasing 4.0+ hacked firmware.
3.)It's mainly for obsolete media that are expected to fail. If anti-used measure become the norm, this loophole could be a weapon against them.
4.)Things like sports, racing, and hunting are things that I would expect to get ignored. Thing is, it might be they are making games in the wrong genre.
5.)That would be a potential way to weed out people who buy games new only to turn around and resell it, which would eliminate some more used sales.
6.)I wouldn't say it's a sure thing. If hackers hack the system to circumvent it, the Sony sues, used games turn out to be legal thanks to the first sale doctrine, and Sony could wind up in deep trouble for their dirty tricks.
7.)I think they take it off your account so you can't redownload it. Services like Steam may disable the games when you sign into buy new stuff, meaning you won't have access to it if you get online. Anyway, Green Man Gaming might be a company that could explain it better since they are involved with it, if I'm not mistaken.
---
At least Nintendo and Good Old Games are treating customers right instead of taking them for granted. They provide light during dark times.
#245Lord_TenseEyePosted 1/8/2013 3:25:52 PM
-Damien- posted...
If you buy used, not a single cent goes to the developers or Sony.

All that profit goes to Gamestop, who does nothing but ripping people off. They buy used new games for 30 bucks and re-sale them at 55 bucks, only 5 bucks lower than new copy.

So for 5 bucks lower you really would rather give your money to EB/Gamestop than to the developers who make the games?

If the difference is $5, I always go for new. If it's $15 or more, then used provided that the used copy doesn't have pizza stains on it.