This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would people rather give their money to EB/Gamestop than to developers?

#31chiefofsb78Posted 1/3/2013 8:12:14 PM
CaptainLuka posted...
chiefofsb78 posted...
tmons78 posted...
-Damien- posted...
If you buy used, not a single cent goes to the developers or Sony.

How much money goes to the developer if you buy new?

Whatever the wholesale price the publishers charge the retailers of course

Fixed.

This is the biggest issue I'm seeing around here. People need to know the difference between developers and publishers. The developers get paid for creating the game. They get normal paychecks during the project and then nothing else. The publishers are the ones who charge the retailers for copies of the game.

In general same thing im not trying to break down the whole deal here i know about all that in a nut shell same thing
#32mantezPosted 1/3/2013 8:14:16 PM
If the Developers and Publishers want a cut of used sales maybe they should open their own used games store.
---
The ship is safer in the harbour, but it is not meant for that.
#33IChangedMyNamePosted 1/3/2013 8:16:12 PM
thisismyusernme posted...
Dude to hell with the developers they're already rich I really don't care about their pockets we just so happen to be in agreement. I'm more aggravated at the fact that the majority of their profits are ones that should have gone to the developers to begin with but they are ripping off their own customers in the process. They don't even attempt to make it seem like a good deal. $30 trade in for a $60 game that they are going to turn around and sell for $55 and make a $25 profit on?

I don't think that was the intial idea though, again like I said its all politics. Gamestop could easily become the 'greatest' gamer companion company but there's a lot of muscle thrown around and at them.

If and the keyword is if, they priced that same game normally set at 54.99 for say 39.99 or even 44.99 used, that would literally be killing the industry because who in their right minds would buy a full fledged priced title for 59.99? Trade values weren't always that bad either that was another thing that had to change to comply with the devs/publishers.

I see your point though, I'm not saying your wrong I'm just saying theres a bigger picture than 'GS is evil and a rip-off' but no one wants to see the truth behind it.
---
I play a lil bit of everything on a lil bit of everything.
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#34KaiKun91Posted 1/3/2013 8:16:43 PM
I have no problem buying New and supporting Developer but let's say 3 year from now and you was looking for a specific Video Game and you just can't find it. Going to bestbuy or any other retailer won't have it. 2nd option would be buy it from another seller or Gamestop. If it resort to buying everything new, either make it digital or keep the hard copy for a period of time.
#35bossk5Posted 1/3/2013 8:19:12 PM
IChangedMyName posted...
Because they're ignorant and can't add. They actually think they're saving money.

Someone will buy a brand new game on day 1 for $60. Beat it in a week and trade it back in for $30. GameStop sells that same game to someone else for $55 and the original guy buys someone elses just released used copy for $55. Wow I just saved myself $5!!! Duhrhurrrr!

And then the cycle repeats itself.

GameStop is ripping off the industry, but more importantly they are ripping off the gamers, their own customer base, but they're just too ignorant to realize it.

Riiiight, because used game prices are in no way affected by the same devs your claiming GS if killing?

You think GS would price there games that way because they can? It'd be soooo much easier to make a profit under cutting the industry but GS doesn't. GS prices the games that way so that consumers don't feel obligate to buy a game used.

Think about it, from a business point of view it doesn't make sense to sell a game at 5 bux cheaper but they do because the relationship with devs would be shattered if they sold the games at 15 bux or more cheaper used.

Ignorance plays both ways in this argument.

Dude to hell with the developers they're already rich I really don't care about their pockets we just so happen to be in agreement. I'm more aggravated at the fact that the majority of their profits are ones that should have gone to the developers to begin with but they are ripping off their own customers in the process. They don't even attempt to make it seem like a good deal. $30 trade in for a $60 game that they are going to turn around and sell for $55 and make a $25 profit on?

A business that is in it for profit?!!!? The hell you say!!
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs, where trolls run rampant. I buy used games.Pacers 3- whatever...I give up
#36StriderNemesisPosted 1/3/2013 8:19:26 PM
tmons78 posted...
-Damien- posted...
tmons78 posted...
-Damien- posted...

How much money goes to the developer if you buy new?

I dont know exactly but if it's divided between these parties: developers, Sony, retailers (EB/Gamestop).

I think developers would get somewhere between 50-60%. Sony would get like 10-15%. Retailers (EB/Gamestop) would get somewhere 30-35%.

For used-games, all that money goes to EB/Gamestop

No.

The money from a new game purchase goes mainly to the retailer (EB/Gamestop) to recoup the price of purchasing the copy from the publisher, plus profit (minimal). Then, the remainder goes mainly to the publisher. It does not go to the developer. The developer has already been paid for creating the game through the contract they signed with the publisher. So even buying new, you are paying the retailer first, the publisher second, and not the developer at all.

Used games do go into the "pockets" of the retailer, but that money is then put to other use besides pure profit. Expansion of the business, employee wages, monthly finances (rent, utilities of stores, etc.) and then profit.

Tell me, genius... how do you think the publisher determines how much they will pay to the developer to make a certain game, and thus the size of the project (and they need to get bigger for the next generation), which in turn dictates how many people will have a job and what their salaries will be?

Yeah, that's right, based on how many people bought NEW games (the ones that appear in sales figures) from that series and/or developer before. This is what determines how many copies a retailer will order from a publisher.
#37RyuuHou25Posted 1/3/2013 8:21:24 PM
Let's just kill all these companies -

Amazon and other sites like it that allow you to sell games that you own
Futureshop/Bestbuy
Ebay/Kijiji
Craigslist
Any other side that is a medium for selling/trading/buying ANYTHING
Facebook, or more specifically, restricting groups that allowed selling/trading/buying
Any and all pawns shops across the US and Canada
Any and all thrift stores across the US and Canada
Any and all mom and pop stores across the US and Canada

Let's write up laws forbidding the resale of ANYTHING, once you buy it, you are stuck with it, permanently, it is not yours to do with what you want simply because you paid money for it, you only acquired the PRIVILEGE and LICENSE to have that item, it's not really yours, it's theirs!
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#38NicodimusPosted 1/3/2013 8:28:14 PM(edited)

*NEWS FLASH*

The developer already got their money from Gamestop, when Gamestop bought 10,000 copies of X game. Whether someone buys new or used in the store is irrelevant. The money paid to the developers for the games exchanged hands before you walked into the store.

Sony already got their money through licensing the game.

The only party that stands to lose anything here is Gamestop, since they are the middle man and need to sell off the games before they depreciate too quickly.

---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#39thisismyusernmePosted 1/3/2013 8:25:20 PM
IChangedMyName posted...

I don't think that was the intial idea though, again like I said its all politics. Gamestop could easily become the 'greatest' gamer companion company but there's a lot of muscle thrown around and at them.

If and the keyword is if, they priced that same game normally set at 54.99 for say 39.99 or even 44.99 used, that would literally be killing the industry because who in their right minds would buy a full fledged priced title for 59.99? Trade values weren't always that bad either that was another thing that had to change to comply with the devs/publishers.

I see your point though, I'm not saying your wrong I'm just saying theres a bigger picture than 'GS is evil and a rip-off' but no one wants to see the truth behind it.

Who in their right mind buys a new game then turns around and trades it in immediately for half its value? Hell look at older games. Not even that old say 2-3 years old. They will offer you anywhere between 50 cents ad $2 for it then sell it for $10-$20. That is an inexcusable and blatant ripoff. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with their business practice if they were at least fair. I'm not worried about the big guys pockets they're big boys they can protect themselves which is exactly what they're doing now. In the end it's the little guys who are really getting screwed by these guys, that's US
---
Clan Leader, Status-DISAVOWED
#40thisismyusernmePosted 1/3/2013 8:30:10 PM(edited)
Nicodimus posted...

*NEWS FLASH*

The developer already got their money from Gamestop, when Gamestop bought 10,000 copies of X game. Whether someone buys new or used in the store is irrelevant. The money paid to the developers for the games exchanged hands before you walked into the store.

*REALITY CHECK*

Every used copy GameStop recycles is one less copy they needed to buy from them and one less sale they made. They sold 10,000 copies when they could have sold 20,000 or 30,000. They may as well buy one copy from them and burn a few thousand copies of it and sell them just a few dollars cheaper. Say $5? It's the same principle

And to prove that if the used copies were the same amount of money as the new copies, no one would be buying the used copies. That's why they undercut them by juuuuust a little but. Enough to maximize their profits and make it seem like a better deal than paying full price
---
Clan Leader, Status-DISAVOWED