This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would people rather give their money to EB/Gamestop than to developers?

#41IChangedMyNamePosted 1/3/2013 8:34:43 PM(edited)
thisismyusernme posted...
Who in their right mind buys a new game then turns around and trades it in immediately for half its value? Hell look at older games. Not even that old say 2-3 years old. They will offer you anywhere between 50 cents ad $2 for it then sell it for $10-$20. That is an inexcusable and blatant ripoff. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with their business practice if they were at least fair. I'm not worried about the big guys pockets they're big boys they can protect themselves which is exactly what they're doing now. In the end it's the little guys who are really getting screwed by these guys, that's US

Now your blatantly lying, the games they buy back for 20-75 cents are mostly sports titles from 08 and below or some really old or bad games that they themselves hardly sell for about 10 bux.

Your view of what they do is completely warped, I'm not saying they offer good trade-in values, because they don't but what your saying is a flat-out lie and you know it.

A game that sells for 14.99 to 19.99 pre-owned can trade in for a value from anywhere to 3- 10 bucks WITH OUT any promotions which they almost ALWAYS have going on.

And it only goes up, they price trades based on their own prices. 24.99 to 39.99 can net you anywhere from 12 - 18 dollars and so on.

Its called turning profit while abiding by a scheme of politics set by the industry, you magically hate a company for following a political train to stay afloat while trying their damnedest to make a profit themselves.

Its unfair for THEM to deal with the blackmailing and scheming some Devs and Pubs pull in order to ensure that they get there's while they get their own as well.
---
I play a lil bit of everything on a lil bit of everything.
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#42wstfldPosted 1/3/2013 8:31:43 PM
No. But we also don't want to buy games like Hitman 5 for 70$ only to find them too boring and restrictive to play, despite a supposed AAA status.

So $65 puts you right under that threshold where it doesn't matter if the gameis too boring and restrictive to play, despite a supposed AAA status?
---
Last Played: FTL (9.5/10)
Now Playing: XCOM Enemy Unknown, Assassin's Creed 3, FIFA 13, FTL
#43RyuuHou25Posted 1/3/2013 8:34:03 PM
"Who in their right mind buys a new game then turns around and trades it in immediately for half its value? Hell look at older games. Not even that old say 2-3 years old. They will offer you anywhere between 50 cents ad $2 for it then sell it for $10-$20. That is an inexcusable and blatant ripoff. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with their business practice if they were at least fair. I'm not worried about the big guys pockets they're big boys they can protect themselves which is exactly what they're doing now. In the end it's the little guys who are really getting screwed by these guys, that's US"

Blatant ripoff hmmm?

I always love this ridiculousness and ignorance on how this whole thing works with business and stock and what not.

You get instant money. You just traded in a game, that GS likely has hundreds of thousands of already, that everyone else has already traded in or sold already, or by that point they have it and are keeping it. The market size is SMALL, the supply is HUGE.

So they're stuck with your game for who knows how long 98% of the time. They're stuck with stock, for weeks, months, maybe even longer, and if nobody buys it, what exactly do you think they do with it? Ever think of that?

That's how business works. It's a tradeoff, they will take damn near anything immediately, you have to accept a low price and the fact that IF they sell it, they will be making a big profit. But they have to actually get that sale, you just get to leave with cash in hand.

You poor poor baby you.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#44NicodimusPosted 1/3/2013 8:43:06 PM(edited)
Nicodimus posted...
If you buy used, not a single cent goes to the developers or Sony.

*NEWS FLASH*

The developer already got their money from Gamestop, when Gamestop bought 10,000 copies of X game. Whether someone buys new or used in the store is irrelevant. The money paid to the developers for the games exchanged hands before you walked into the store.

*REALITY CHECK*

Every used copy GameStop recycles is one less copy they needed to buy from them and one less sale they made. They sold 10,000 copies when they could have sold 20,000 or 30,000. They may as well buy one copy from them and burn a few thousand copies of it and sell them just a few dollars cheaper. Say $5? It's the same principle

Since I used to manage a Gamestop/EB Games, let me explain.

We don't want to sell new games, as a company. The profit margin sucks on them. The two reasons we sell new games:

-To get customers into the store, so that we can try to sell them the used copy at the register (if there is one available)

and

-Even if they buy the new copy, they will come back and trade it in, so we can resell it used, which is where all the profit is.

The profit on a new game is like $2. The profit on a used game can be $25. So, yes, we might sell less copies of a game, but as you can see, we would have to sell 12.5 new games to get the same profit as we do on one used game, so we don't mind losing 1, 2, or 3 sales on the new.

Put another way, we would rather sell 2,000 used copies used than 20,000 copies new, because we still make more money.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#45thisismyusernmePosted 1/3/2013 8:36:02 PM
IChangedMyName posted...
Who in their right mind buys a new game then turns around and trades it in immediately for half its value? Hell look at older games. Not even that old say 2-3 years old. They will offer you anywhere between 50 cents ad $2 for it then sell it for $10-$20. That is an inexcusable and blatant ripoff. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with their business practice if they were at least fair. I'm not worried about the big guys pockets they're big boys they can protect themselves which is exactly what they're doing now. In the end it's the little guys who are really getting screwed by these guys, that's US

Now your blatantly lying, the games they buy back for 20-75 cents are mostly sports titles from 08 and below or some really old or bad games that they themselves hardly sell for about 10 bux.

Your view of what they do is completely warped, I'm not saying they offer good trade-in values, because they don't but what your saying is a flat-out lie and you know it.

A game that sells for 14.99 to 19.99 pre-owned can trade in for a value from anywhere to 3- 10 bucks WITH OUT any promotions which they almost ALWAYS have going on.

And it only goes up, they price trades based on there own prices. 24.99 to 39.99 can net you anywhere from 12 - 18 dollars and so on.

Bull****. Last year I was going to trade in a bunch of old games that were collecting dust. I thought just maybe they finally got called out for ripping people off. They quoted me between 50 cents and $2 for games that were not even 2 years old, and that were on their shelves for $10-$25
---
Clan Leader, Status-DISAVOWED
#46IChangedMyNamePosted 1/3/2013 8:43:03 PM(edited)
Bull****. Last year I was going to trade in a bunch of old games that were collecting dust. I thought just maybe they finally got called out for ripping people off. They quoted me between 50 cents and $2 for games that were not even 2 years old, and that were on their shelves for $10-$25

Prove it, I'll go into tomorrow to GS and raid the 14.99 and under bin and check the trade values at the counter and when I bring my info back what then?

Older games, or games that sold like crap will not get a lot of trade in value and are often not sold for much either.

Example? I just sold my copy of Stranglehold after beating it a few weeks ago, I bought the game for like 7.99... I got a 1.50 w/ promotions hell, maybe I can copy paste a trade in receipt from recently to show you and you yourself can look up the games prices, or better yet maybe I should do all it so you can skewer them to meet your point your doing poorly at making.

EDIT: The keyword to look for in my post is 'Promotion' and 'about' I would have gotten like 80 cents for it before the 50% more crap and they had a ton of the same game sitting in the 14.99 and under where I bought it initally myself.

You also seem to ignore the sleezy consumers as well, GS takes a risk buying games back. It cost money to fix broken disc and sleezy ass consumers always play GS.
---
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#47BurgerTime79Posted 1/3/2013 8:47:10 PM
Brink: $5 used. 25 cent trade in.
Duke Nukem Forever: $5 used. 50 cent trade in.
Mercenaries 2: $5 used. 80 cent trade in.

Would you like a specific game?
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#48IChangedMyNamePosted 1/3/2013 8:52:26 PM(edited)
BurgerTime79 posted...

And, those are bad? Have you asked them about inventory? Or how about the fact those games were critical failures themselves? And did you include any of the major promos they have going on ALL THE TIME?

50 percent more will knock those up to nearly a dollar or maybe more which is what percent of the resell value if its 5 bux?

EDIT: My local GS has soooo many Dukes pre-owned they put them in the sale bin even when they aren't on sale. Hell I bought a brand new Duke C.E. for 10 bux that they had readily available. Agian, the availability of a game, the success and popularity all play a hand in the games trades and resell values.
---
#49JurassicBondPosted 1/3/2013 8:50:58 PM
As fast as prices drop these days for new games, I almost never buy used for current gen games. Older games it's a different story though.
---
Reading: Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky
http://i.imgur.com/AUbFA.jpg http://i.imgur.com/nYklT.jpg
#50thisismyusernmePosted 1/3/2013 8:52:27 PM
IChangedMyName posted...
BurgerTime79 posted...

And, those are bad? Have you asked them about inventory? Or how about the fact those games were critical failures themselves? And did you include any of the major promos they have going on ALL THE TIME?

50 percent more will knock those up to nearly a dollar or maybe more which is what percent of the resell value if its 5 bux?

How do you type kissing noises?

muah muah mauh?

pwwwt pwwt pwwt?

Ah who cares. Pucker up buttercup, I'm sure GameStop appreciates the love, ESPECIALLY your money
---
Clan Leader, Status-DISAVOWED