This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can anyone in their right mind be in FAVOR of locking out used games???

#11lambchipsPosted 1/3/2013 10:39:23 PM
i totally in favour of it... i hope next gen sony and ms both lock out used games

used game sales hurt so much more than piracy... whats worse is developers dont see a cent in used games sale (hence, why sony is taking this action... if it wasnt a big deal, like ps2 days then no one would even think about taking such drastic actions)
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#12656stoogePosted 1/3/2013 10:49:48 PM(edited)
How the hell are you supposed to buy out of print games if they kill off the used industry?
Good luck finding anything that had limited print run 6 months down the line.

Used games aren't just for 'tight asses'. Use some damn sense. And ever notice how quickly most online games that use a DLC pass die off? That's because those 'cheapskates' that can't find the game new or are buying a copy half price to play with friends, aren't picking up used copies and replacing the gamers that have sold their game.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_wbc3Z5C8
#13DawnshadowPosted 1/3/2013 11:07:58 PM(edited)
On one hand, Gamestop in particular is a ripoff-- a used game should be half the price of new, not $3 or $5 off. (This is also why I feel Steam is acceptable-- while I would like to be able to sell or trade my spare games, I got a vast majority of them for 66% off or more, several years after release. I think being able to buy a $20 game for $5 but being stuck with it forever beats being able to buy a $40 game for $37.50, and then trade it in for $10 store credit.)

On the other hand, this is bad for games in the long run. Unless it's sold digitally, you can't keep a game in print forever, nor can you expect a typical physical retail store to keep more than maybe a hundred titles for any given system in stock. I don't buy consoles in the first two years-- I give them time to get a decent library and to work out any hardware kinks. If I get a PS4, say, three or four years after launch, there would probably be some titles, mostly niche "cult classics," that I could not buy-- any unlocked copies would sell for an arm and a leg.

An acceptable compromise, I think, would be to code the games to lock to console, but only for three months or six months or even a year after the first release. Once enough time has passed, let it be sold or traded. Most full-price new game sales are, IIRC, in the first month (citation needed, but I think I'm remembering right.) While the game may have a long tail, especially for classics, your big burst is right away. Allowing the games to unlock once it's no longer "hot," to allow later players to enjoy the game for less and perhaps buy a new game at full price from the same developers.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#14necro00Posted 1/3/2013 11:05:48 PM
If Sony did this, Microsoft should do the opposite and profit
#15656stoogePosted 1/3/2013 11:07:50 PM
necro00 posted...

Yep. The first console to lock used games WILL die.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_wbc3Z5C8
#16necro00Posted 1/3/2013 11:08:17 PM
656stooge posted...
necro00 posted...

agreed 100%
#17thisismyusernmePosted 1/3/2013 11:09:44 PM
656stooge posted...
necro00 posted...

They're all coming out next gen with this technology. The writing has been on the wall for over a year but you've all been livin in denial
---
Clan Leader, Status-DISAVOWED
#18warrenmatsPosted 1/3/2013 11:09:56 PM
yattahaze posted...
My main problem (though definitely not the only one) is that there would be no way to play games that have gone out of print, and as such can only be found used. I tend to get consoles late, so this is a deal-breaker for me.

But I still don't think Sony will actually go through with it.

This.

Locking out used games must be the stupidest thing I ever heard of.
---
:D
#19servb0tsPosted 1/3/2013 11:12:36 PM(edited)
thisismyusernme posted...
Because I'm not a cheap ass gamer and don't buy other peoples busted ass used games

We got ourselfs a Badass over here lol.

I buy LE JRPG games and even Japanese Imports but Blocking used games is just plain Wrong and Stupid. Backlash is going to hurt their arrogance. And I won't accept their BS appology like when PS3 got hacked.No matter how much they bow.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#20necro00Posted 1/3/2013 11:10:51 PM
thisismyusernme posted...
656stooge posted...
necro00 posted...

They're all coming out next gen with this technology. The writing has been on the wall for over a year but you've all been livin in denial

If both companies are dumb enough to do this then... next gen wont be pretty