This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

POLL: Do you think Gamestop's opened/unsealed games are USED or BRAND NEW?

#141agrissaPosted 1/4/2013 12:10:56 PM
este914 posted...
theshoveller posted...
agrissa posted...
jubjub360 posted...
o no, just because it is off does not necessary mean it was used.

Which also implies it COULD be used. Which is why you have to draw the line somewhere. It's impractical and perhaps impossible to look at each disk individually to make sure it hasn't been used. This is why in the retail industry, opened is considered used. How are you ppl even debating this? Try to sell an opened copy of games as brand new on Ebay and see what happens. Whether or not the product is actually used is irrelevant!

But if you bought it from somewhere and you're selling it on eBay, then regardless of if you opened it or not, isn't it "used" then? You have it, you bought it from somewhere, who cares if the shrinkwrap is on it because obviously you didn't get it straight from the distributor. It's used - in pristine condition and never opened, but it is previously owned by someone.

That sounds like its in brand new condition to me if it was never altered from its original factory state.

There we have it. Thank you, este.
---
I am the Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
#142arstosPosted 1/4/2013 12:11:26 PM
considering those are the copys employees get to take home, used.
---
PSN: dragonlibrarian plays; Awesomenauts, Skullgirls, Jojo's HD, SSFIITHDR, SFIII: OE, MVC2, AH3, KoF 94/95/96/XIII, VF5:FS, P4A, GGXXAC+HD, CS:GO, UTIII
#143este914Posted 1/4/2013 12:12:03 PM
jubjub360 posted...
Pigfarts posted...
jubjub360 posted...
Pigfarts posted...
You're dead wrong. I have bought old games from gamestop, and they are always sealed, the 2 times they gave me an unsealed game i said no thanks and walked away.

The reason is b/c they don't stock a lot of older games and the ones you bought were the last display copy. Its not their policy, you can humor me all you want but you the one who applied to gamestop you're most likely under 20, so I can forgive you lack of knowledge.

I only buy old games from game stop

I know there has to be a gamestop employee in here somewhere to confirm this.

QUESTION TO ANY GAMESTOP, EB GAME EMPLOYEE
Is it mandatory to open all old game after a certain data?

Really now? Because the gamestop where I bought my MKKC was opened and brand new and they even told me themselves that it's policy to have to open it. So who is dead wrong? Sounds like you.

b/c the cashier "borrowed" it used it and sold it to you as new, that WAS their policy. Some stores still do this others only on the used games. Do you also buy opened bags of chips? Do you buy the display model of electronics as new? Do you really not understand what the problem is of buying OPENED products as new?

So just because you say it is makes it true? Yeah sure. The MKKC edition comes with a code inside. If they "borrowed" it, like you say, that code wouldn't have worked. At all. They had multiple new copies of it so unless their whole stock was display copies, you are wrong. Again.

And look! He's using wrong markets as comparisons. How cute!

The fact of the matter is, you did not pay for the plastic wrap. You bought the disk. If there are scratches on the disk then that hints towards it being used. If it looks brand new, exactly how this disk looked, it's new.

So when the fat, unprofessional Gamestop employee mishandles my 'new' game and puts his greasy fingers all over it, what does that make it ? (just curious)
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only!
#144agrissaPosted 1/4/2013 12:12:46 PM
theshoveller posted...
Might be brand-new condition, but it's still a pre-owned game. Why should someone pay new-game prices for something someone owned?

I would, if it's in the exact same condition as brand-new condition and unopened, getting the full confidence that it has not been used in anyway.
---
I am the Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
#145jubjub360Posted 1/4/2013 12:14:55 PM(edited)
este914 posted...
jubjub360 posted...
Pigfarts posted...
jubjub360 posted...
Pigfarts posted...
You're dead wrong. I have bought old games from gamestop, and they are always sealed, the 2 times they gave me an unsealed game i said no thanks and walked away.

The reason is b/c they don't stock a lot of older games and the ones you bought were the last display copy. Its not their policy, you can humor me all you want but you the one who applied to gamestop you're most likely under 20, so I can forgive you lack of knowledge.

I only buy old games from game stop

I know there has to be a gamestop employee in here somewhere to confirm this.

QUESTION TO ANY GAMESTOP, EB GAME EMPLOYEE
Is it mandatory to open all old game after a certain data?

Really now? Because the gamestop where I bought my MKKC was opened and brand new and they even told me themselves that it's policy to have to open it. So who is dead wrong? Sounds like you.

b/c the cashier "borrowed" it used it and sold it to you as new, that WAS their policy. Some stores still do this others only on the used games. Do you also buy opened bags of chips? Do you buy the display model of electronics as new? Do you really not understand what the problem is of buying OPENED products as new?

So just because you say it is makes it true? Yeah sure. The MKKC edition comes with a code inside. If they "borrowed" it, like you say, that code wouldn't have worked. At all. They had multiple new copies of it so unless their whole stock was display copies, you are wrong. Again.

And look! He's using wrong markets as comparisons. How cute!

The fact of the matter is, you did not pay for the plastic wrap. You bought the disk. If there are scratches on the disk then that hints towards it being used. If it looks brand new, exactly how this disk looked, it's new.

So when the fat, unprofessional Gamestop employee mishandles my 'new' game and puts his greasy fingers all over it, what does that make it ? (just curious)

It makes it a mishandled product and that you should talk to the manager. I wouldn't buy it because, guess what? He mishandled it!

Seriously este have you had that happen before?
---
Wanna see a professional spinner?http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/64907080 look at zuuku specifically!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#146theshovellerPosted 1/4/2013 12:14:10 PM
agrissa posted...
este914 posted...
theshoveller posted...
agrissa posted...
jubjub360 posted...
o no, just because it is off does not necessary mean it was used.

Which also implies it COULD be used. Which is why you have to draw the line somewhere. It's impractical and perhaps impossible to look at each disk individually to make sure it hasn't been used. This is why in the retail industry, opened is considered used. How are you ppl even debating this? Try to sell an opened copy of games as brand new on Ebay and see what happens. Whether or not the product is actually used is irrelevant!

But if you bought it from somewhere and you're selling it on eBay, then regardless of if you opened it or not, isn't it "used" then? You have it, you bought it from somewhere, who cares if the shrinkwrap is on it because obviously you didn't get it straight from the distributor. It's used - in pristine condition and never opened, but it is previously owned by someone.

That sounds like its in brand new condition to me if it was never altered from its original factory state.

There we have it. Thank you, este.

But it's still pre-owned. As in, "had a previous owner." Who knows if someone threw that game, in its still-hermetically-sealed wrapper, in their bathroom for three years before finding it under a pile of old damp towels and threw it on eBay to sell it? Would you still pay $50 for that thing? $60? I mean, it's "new" because it "has the wrapper on it," right?

Again, like I said a few posts up, who cares what other people think. If you want it, you'll buy it. If you don't, then you won't. Coming onto a forum and going "THEY'RE EEEEEVIL!" won't really do anything other than cause a 142-post thread to pop up where people bicker about something that makes no difference in the end.
#147este914Posted 1/4/2013 12:15:04 PM
Yep. And at that point (before it even) I no longer view the product as 'new.'
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only!
#148Bl4cklistedPosted 1/4/2013 12:15:26 PM
I avoid this store like the plague.
They open brand new, wrapped games, and stick the disks into paper envelopes.
This scratches the disks and, since the original packaging was opened, these games are no longer really new.

I buy my games online or download through steam.
#149jubjub360Posted 1/4/2013 12:16:13 PM
este914 posted...
Yep. And at that point (before it even) I no longer view the product as 'new.'

So then don't buy it. As many users have said on this board, speak with your wallet. If you don't like it unwrapped, don't buy it and go somewhere else.
---
Wanna see a professional spinner?http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/64907080 look at zuuku specifically!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#150AaantlionPosted 1/4/2013 12:17:40 PM
I don't consider open/new as true new nor would anybody in their right mind. While it's not quite the same thing as pre-owned, it's used to an extent simply because it's been handled a few times.
---
(\/)(\/)|-|