This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

POLL: Do you think Gamestop's opened/unsealed games are USED or BRAND NEW?

#211PigfartsPosted 1/7/2013 10:51:32 AM
secondhand1 posted...
Pigfarts posted...
I'm 6'5 and I bench 300...no but for real I'm an analyst I look into this kind of crap for work. no used game stuff, but how business work, and how to save on expenses and generate more revenue.

So because you're analyst for a company that crunches numbers all day in an effort to drive down costs and maximize profits for said company, you know more about business - more specifically, businesses that aren't your business - than anyone else?

You're an analyst. Perhaps you should get over yourself.

Well I did go to school for it, did I say anyone else? I said him.
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#212theshovellerPosted 1/7/2013 10:55:58 AM
killak posted...
you people make excuses for cars and clothes etc, but for some reason (baffingly) you accept something that could've been worn by 50 people prior to you, as new, but not a non wrapped game.

You people? YOU PEOPLE!?!?!!? Why you gotta turn this into a race thang!

Nah, I kid. Good point with that one - people buy new clothes all the time that have been worn by other people (and obviously aren't new at that point, right? I mean, they were used!) but god forbid someone take the shrinkwrap off a game and try to sell it like new, when obviously it was used. The nerve of those people!

As for the whole "they take home the new games to play them" thing... unless someone shows me where in their policy manual it says they can do it, then I'm not buying it. Does it happen? Most likely. Is it allowed? That's something else entirely, and I'm willing to wager the people who do it with new games would get at the very least written up by their bosses for doing it.

Honestly, I get more worried trying on clothing in a store than buying a game that has a sticker telling me it's new. Who knows when the last time someone bathed who put those pants on - and now I'm sliding my ass into them.
#213BeefEasterPosted 1/7/2013 10:56:02 AM
ha ha, anal
#214agrissaPosted 1/7/2013 12:04:23 PM
killak is just trolling at this point. He has no solid argument. I've already destroyed his double standards. Plus no one can name a retailer that does not consider an opened package of software as used. This is like common sense...
---
I am the Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
Number of fans: 6
#215theshovellerPosted 1/7/2013 12:11:16 PM
agrissa posted...
killak is just trolling at this point. He has no solid argument. I've already destroyed his double standards. Plus no one can name a retailer that does not consider an opened package of software as used. This is like common sense...

Nah, he's posting some actual points and not just trying to provoke a reaction out of people. Points you and others may not agree with - and that's fine - but I wouldn't say it's trolling.

Hopefully this whole thing dies soon since right now it's just a circle argument that both sides have good points with:

-Pretty much no other retailer says opened stuff is new
-People don't complain about the few things that are open for usage being sold as new (the "clothing" argument)
-Game is opened, which means it's not in original condition
-Game had no previous owners, so it's new in that sense

It's devolving into nothing more than mudslinging beyond that on both sides. Can a mod come in here and lock the topic or something, or OP come back and request it be locked? I think all the intellect's been drained out of it, and now the arguments are just regurgitated cud.
#216Killah PriestPosted 1/7/2013 12:12:32 PM
Brand New
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#217jubjub360Posted 1/7/2013 12:13:10 PM
theshoveller posted...
agrissa posted...

Nah, he's posting some actual points and not just trying to provoke a reaction out of people. Points you and others may not agree with - and that's fine - but I wouldn't say it's trolling.

Hopefully this whole thing dies soon since right now it's just a circle argument that both sides have good points with:

-Pretty much no other retailer says opened stuff is new
-People don't complain about the few things that are open for usage being sold as new (the "clothing" argument)
-Game is opened, which means it's not in original condition
-Game had no previous owners, so it's new in that sense

It's devolving into nothing more than mudslinging beyond that on both sides. Can a mod come in here and lock the topic or something, or OP come back and request it be locked? I think all the intellect's been drained out of it, and now the arguments are just regurgitated cud.

Why would you respond to agrissa a known troll and someone who obviously does not know anything about gaming, business, or debate?
---
Wanna see a professional spinner?http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/64907080 look at zuuku specifically!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#218king_maddenPosted 1/7/2013 12:19:04 PM
agrissa posted...

well no other company needs space like gamestop, a bestbuy or walmart can keep their games in the back, and brand new ones behind a case, gamestop isnt big enough for that, so it saves space. the gamestops ive seen that were big enough had nothing but games still in shrink wrap behind a case at customer service.

is there another small store business like gamestop that sells new and used games, that is as big as gamestop is?
#219CaptainLukaPosted 1/7/2013 12:20:54 PM
vashtricham posted...
Quote:I refuse to buy opened games being sold as new. They obviously played them(they're allowed to take a game home and return them within 3 days) and I'm paying 5 extra dollars for a used title. Also dislike the stupid stickers they put on the box so I just buy off Amazon or go to a M&P store.
@hikari198
No GS employes can not take home new games only used.

Except it happens quite regularly.

Source: Former employee who worked in several stores who also knows many current/former employees in many stores. A lot of things happen that corporate wouldn't be happy about.
---
My spell check just had a mental breakdown...
#220agrissaPosted 1/7/2013 12:23:25 PM
theshoveller posted...
People don't complain about the few things that are open for usage being sold as new (the "clothing" argument)

This argument is a strawman one. Software is not clothing. There's a very good reason why all retailers consider opened software to be used. Just because ppl don't mind "used" clothing doesn't change the fact that opened=used when it comes to software. You don't know if anything illegal has been done with it. You don't know if any codes have been missing or used. In the future this will become more important because games could be locked to consoles.

Gamestop themselves consider opened games=used games. They still sell it as new regardless, because that's just the kind of company they are. It's no secret that they have a bad corporate culture that value sales over customer satisfaction and employee well-being.
---
I am the Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
Number of fans: 6