This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

POLL: Do you think Gamestop's opened/unsealed games are USED or BRAND NEW?

#221agrissaPosted 1/7/2013 12:25:16 PM
CaptainLuka posted...
vashtricham posted...
Quote:I refuse to buy opened games being sold as new. They obviously played them(they're allowed to take a game home and return them within 3 days) and I'm paying 5 extra dollars for a used title. Also dislike the stupid stickers they put on the box so I just buy off Amazon or go to a M&P store.
@hikari198
No GS employes can not take home new games only used.

Except it happens quite regularly.

Source: Former employee who worked in several stores who also knows many current/former employees in many stores. A lot of things happen that corporate wouldn't be happy about.

It's funny that this always gets completely ignored by the Gamestop defenders, along with other facts and common knowledge. The beauty of facts is that no matter how much you ignore, deny, or twist them, they are still unchanged.

Facts win. Always.
---
I am the Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
Number of fans: 6
#222regsantotomasPosted 1/7/2013 12:27:37 PM
If the practice bothered me, I wouldn't support it. I rarely buy games there and even rarer still does this even become an issue. When it does, I really don't care.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#223NintendologicalPosted 1/7/2013 12:32:05 PM
CaptainLuka posted...
I've worked at GameStop and have friends that work(ed) at GameStops. Sometimes those new games get loaned out to employees before street date. It all depends on whether the store is lax or strict.

Lies. Unless the manager allowed his or her assistant and 3rd key to abuse the checkout privilege. I used to work at store 189. We could pnly do checkouts for used games and only when there were at least two copies of a game.

As for the topic question, Gamestop doesn't allow employees to play the opened new games. However, the sleeves used to store opened copies are not the greatest and consequently, discs get scuffed and scratched all the time. Plus, since the case is pn the sales floor, the manuals get bent (or go missing) and the case gets dirty and scratched. Buying the last copy of a new game (the opened copy) is always a risky proposition.
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#224Golden MavenPosted 1/7/2013 2:11:50 PM
Nintendological posted...
Gamestop doesn't allow employees to play the opened new games.

You're being naive. I know someone who unfortunately worked there. They open up one copy of a new release and pass it around for the employees to play. Then eventually they sell it to some sucka. You can choose to disbelieve it, but countless people have witnessed it.

Granted, you're free to refuse their business, but it doesn't justify such a shady practice. Hell, being a middleman for the sale of used games is already shady enough, and that's most of their business.
#225PigfartsPosted 1/7/2013 2:13:30 PM
theshoveller posted...
agrissa posted...
killak is just trolling at this point. He has no solid argument. I've already destroyed his double standards. Plus no one can name a retailer that does not consider an opened package of software as used. This is like common sense...

Nah, he's posting some actual points and not just trying to provoke a reaction out of people. Points you and others may not agree with - and that's fine - but I wouldn't say it's trolling.

Hopefully this whole thing dies soon since right now it's just a circle argument that both sides have good points with:

-Pretty much no other retailer says opened stuff is new
-People don't complain about the few things that are open for usage being sold as new (the "clothing" argument)
-Game is opened, which means it's not in original condition
-Game had no previous owners, so it's new in that sense

It's devolving into nothing more than mudslinging beyond that on both sides. Can a mod come in here and lock the topic or something, or OP come back and request it be locked? I think all the intellect's been drained out of it, and now the arguments are just regurgitated cud.

Okay lets argues this...I'm going back to my point, what if you bought a computer from bestbuy and you watched the guy unhook the display model and put it in an box and charge you full price.

Well according to killiak no one owned it, it was only bestbuys display model and is still considered new.
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#226vashtrichamPosted 1/7/2013 2:21:25 PM(edited)
Quote:Nintendological posted...
Gamestop doesn't allow employees to play the opened new games.

You're being naive. I know someone who unfortunately worked there. They open up one copy of a new release and pass it around for the employees to play. Then eventually they sell it to some sucka. You can choose to disbelieve it, but countless people have witnessed it.

Granted, you're free to refuse their business, but it doesn't justify such a shady practice. Hell, being a middleman for the sale of used games is already shady enough, and that's most of their business.

@Golden Maven
Key word worked, I have worked at multiple gstops in multiple states and this use to happen years ago but now there are very strict policies and anyone who takes a new game home without buying it will get fired

---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#227agrissaPosted 1/7/2013 2:24:58 PM
Face it, it's impossible for ALL companies policies to be followed at ALL times at ALL locations.

It is precisely because of this uncertainty that opened games are considered used games. You cannot give ppl the benefit of the doubt (Gamestop sure don't when you try to return an opened copy). It has to be black and white. Opened=used is the only thing that works and makes sense.
---
I am the Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
Number of fans: 7
#228king_maddenPosted 1/7/2013 2:30:07 PM
agrissa posted...
CaptainLuka posted...
vashtricham posted...
Quote:I refuse to buy opened games being sold as new. They obviously played them(they're allowed to take a game home and return them within 3 days) and I'm paying 5 extra dollars for a used title. Also dislike the stupid stickers they put on the box so I just buy off Amazon or go to a M&P store.
@hikari198
No GS employes can not take home new games only used.

Except it happens quite regularly.

Source: Former employee who worked in several stores who also knows many current/former employees in many stores. A lot of things happen that corporate wouldn't be happy about.

It's funny that this always gets completely ignored by the Gamestop defenders, along with other facts and common knowledge. The beauty of facts is that no matter how much you ignore, deny, or twist them, they are still unchanged.

Facts win. Always.

lmao so let me get this right, because 1 employee, who might know what 10-20 other employees who do this tops, all of a sudden means the thousands of other employees in all other stores more than likely do it quite regularly?

Do we even know if that particular guy is telling the truth or not? anyone else notice that when someone says something you agree with you believe them unconditionally, but if someone says something you dont agree with you refuse to believe it no matter what? even if neither side provides any proof, the fact that he says something you think is right, you are willing to believe it.

like right now, if I sat here and said "I worked at gamestop and they even let us use online passes". gamestop trolls would believe it, even though ive never worked there.
#229FacilityproPosted 1/7/2013 2:33:09 PM
I know Gamestop sells used games as new, because I sold my mint (except for a small flaw in the manual), complete copy of DMC 2 to Gamestop, and a week later it was on sale (with the same manual) as a brand new "display copy." Champaign IL location.
#230king_maddenPosted 1/7/2013 2:35:42 PM
agrissa posted...
Face it, it's impossible for ALL companies policies to be followed at ALL times at ALL locations.

It is precisely because of this uncertainty that opened games are considered used games. You cannot give ppl the benefit of the doubt (Gamestop sure don't when you try to return an opened copy). It has to be black and white. Opened=used is the only thing that works and makes sense.

other than the lack of shrink wrap though, whats the difference between an opened copy with a working online pass and no marks, and an unopened copy?

if a product works exactly the same and is in as good of a condition as new, then it will usually be sold that way. like clothes, unless there are marks, a new shirt thats been tried on will still be new, shoes that have been tried on and even walked in will be new, there were radios at bestbuy that were opened and put back in the box that were still sold as new. electronics that are hooked up after opened will be discounted because their parts can wear down with more use. key word "use"., making it used.