This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

POLL: Do you think Gamestop's opened/unsealed games are USED or BRAND NEW?

#231agrissaPosted 1/7/2013 2:37:06 PM
Facilitypro posted...
I know Gamestop sells used games as new, because I sold my mint (except for a small flaw in the manual), complete copy of DMC 2 to Gamestop, and a week later it was on sale (with the same manual) as a brand new "display copy." Champaign IL location.

Oh wow that's just disgusting. And ppl are defending Gamestop why?
---
I am the Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
Number of fans: 7
#232NintendologicalPosted 1/7/2013 2:52:18 PM
Golden Maven posted...
Nintendological posted...
Gamestop doesn't allow employees to play the opened new games.

You're being naive. I know someone who unfortunately worked there. They open up one copy of a new release and pass it around for the employees to play. Then eventually they sell it to some sucka. You can choose to disbelieve it, but countless people have witnessed it.

Granted, you're free to refuse their business, but it doesn't justify such a shady practice. Hell, being a middleman for the sale of used games is already shady enough, and that's most of their business.

You know someone where as I actually worked there myself. I'm more inclined to rely on my own experience than your "friend of a friend" story. No offense. I'm not saying it never happens, and I admitted as much (which ypu completely glossed over) when I noted that if the SM, AM and 3rd key are poor stewards of the rules, then employees will abuse it.

My location was far from the best, but all of our managers took the rules seriously. We used to do trash checks and shoe checks just to reduce shrink. We certainly weren't slacking on allowing people to checkout new titles. I can only tell you policy, not how well it is followed by potentially dubious employees.
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#233king_maddenPosted 1/7/2013 3:36:45 PM
Facilitypro posted...
I know Gamestop sells used games as new, because I sold my mint (except for a small flaw in the manual), complete copy of DMC 2 to Gamestop, and a week later it was on sale (with the same manual) as a brand new "display copy." Champaign IL location.

or their new case was damaged, so instead of throwing up a broken case, they put a case up in mint condition. disc would still be new in this instance. dont know what the circumstances were, but as agrissa has shown once again, you dont need proof of anything, as long as you state something that supports his opinion hes going to believe it fully.
#234Golden MavenPosted 1/7/2013 3:45:31 PM
You know someone where as I actually worked there myself. I'm more inclined to rely on my own experience than your "friend of a friend" story.

Not friend of a friend. My bro. Same blood. That's about as reliable as it gets for me.

I can only tell you policy, not how well it is followed by potentially dubious employees.

Well there you go. I know my local store does it, and I've read several accounts online of it happening. Maybe your particular store was on the straight and narrow, but I get the feeling it happens at more places than you believe.

Either way, I think the store is shady period. I don't shop there ever.
#235vashtrichamPosted 1/7/2013 4:42:39 PM
Quote:Nintendological posted...
You know someone where as I actually worked there myself. I'm more inclined to rely on my own experience than your "friend of a friend" story.

Not friend of a friend. My bro. Same blood. That's about as reliable as it gets for me.

I can only tell you policy, not how well it is followed by potentially dubious employees.

Well there you go. I know my local store does it, and I've read several accounts online of it happening. Maybe your particular store was on the straight and narrow, but I get the feeling it happens at more places than you believe.

Either way, I think the store is shady period. I don't shop there ever.

@Golden Maven
You don't ever shop there but you know your store still does it and "online" accounts I call bs just another GameStop hater.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#236Aiden-OJPosted 1/7/2013 5:12:51 PM
My "new" 007 Legends disc was a disc in one of those paper sleeves that the GameStop put into a display box. But not before the man man handled the case+disc.
---
Xbox 360 GamerTag: ajwmawesome - Now playing: 007 Legends,Minecraft 360
PlayStation 3 PSN ID: BlueStar7152 - Now playing: Uncharted,NFS Most Wanted-Criterion
#237BeefEasterPosted 1/7/2013 5:20:51 PM
king_madden posted...
agrissa posted...
killak is just trolling at this point. He has no solid argument. I've already destroyed his double standards. Plus no one can name a retailer that does not consider an opened package of software as used. This is like common sense...

well no other company needs space like gamestop, a bestbuy or walmart can keep their games in the back, and brand new ones behind a case, gamestop isnt big enough for that, so it saves space. the gamestops ive seen that were big enough had nothing but games still in shrink wrap behind a case at customer service.

is there another small store business like gamestop that sells new and used games, that is as big as gamestop is?

how does opening games save them space?

whether they open the game or not they still have to keep the case somewhere
#238Devil_wings00Posted 1/7/2013 5:21:01 PM
I consider it used because I can no longer be certain it is new without all the proper seals intact. Honestly if they took the shrink wrap off while I was there or I actually trusted them not to play them after it was unwrapped I would consider it new. Since neither of those things apply to game spot I consider it used. Thankfully I live in Canada and at least in my area this doesn't happen. It used to but the last couple of years they stopped doing it. On the rare occasion I buy a game from them it is always wrapped and retrieved from the counter directly behind the cashier or they go to the back room and get a copy.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#239king_maddenPosted 1/7/2013 7:25:49 PM
BeefEaster posted...
king_madden posted...
agrissa posted...
killak is just trolling at this point. He has no solid argument. I've already destroyed his double standards. Plus no one can name a retailer that does not consider an opened package of software as used. This is like common sense...

well no other company needs space like gamestop, a bestbuy or walmart can keep their games in the back, and brand new ones behind a case, gamestop isnt big enough for that, so it saves space. the gamestops ive seen that were big enough had nothing but games still in shrink wrap behind a case at customer service.

is there another small store business like gamestop that sells new and used games, that is as big as gamestop is?

how does opening games save them space?

whether they open the game or not they still have to keep the case somewhere

it lets them put the game on display to show what they have in stock, that way they dont have to get security cases which take up a lot more space. if they kept the game in cases, they wouldnt have too many places to keep them. dont have enough room to put them all out on the floor in security cases, and there isnt enough room behind the counter for them, and its too much of a hassle to keep them stacked up in the back.