This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

POLL: Do you think Gamestop's opened/unsealed games are USED or BRAND NEW?

#51este914Posted 1/4/2013 9:12:13 AM
killak posted...
ok, i'm kindly requesting that this board stop using the word 'shady'.

Comes up far too often, and relates to things that we as consumers, do to each other anyway.

Your posts are becoming quite shady as of late actually ;)
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only!
#52Fou LuPosted 1/4/2013 9:12:26 AM
Used. That's why I preorder new games I want. It will be sealed. Any other game I just buy used.
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#53Godly_GoofPosted 1/4/2013 9:13:14 AM
Shin_Gallon posted...
It was used as a wall-display, it's used.

So then all games ever are used since they leave them on display? I don't understand O_o
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#54este914Posted 1/4/2013 9:14:24 AM
theshoveller posted...
Shin_Gallon posted...

And it's why I think they should go back to "new" and "pre-owned." Pre-owned implies previous owner, and in no way can an opened copy, opened by the store, have a "previous owner."

But that's not right either. If it's opened from it's original factory sealed state by the store then it certainly is not "new" ... It may as well be "pre-owned" ...
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only!
#55Joehop007Posted 1/4/2013 9:15:48 AM
este914 posted...
theshoveller posted...
Shin_Gallon posted...

And it's why I think they should go back to "new" and "pre-owned." Pre-owned implies previous owner, and in no way can an opened copy, opened by the store, have a "previous owner."

But that's not right either. If it's opened from it's original factory sealed state by the store then it certainly is not "new" ... It may as well be "pre-owned" ...

And that's exactly what I have tried to address with the Uniform Deceptive Trade Act, but everyone just laughed it off like its a joke.
---
"Broke my pipe on some fatass" - RPG_Apostle
#56Godly_GoofPosted 1/4/2013 9:17:10 AM
este914 posted...
theshoveller posted...
Shin_Gallon posted...

... The game disc has not been used, therefore it's still new open or not, by very definition its new for crap sake. So no you sir are wrong.

It's open but it's still new. Until its in a game system it's new. End of discussion :/
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#57theshovellerPosted 1/4/2013 9:17:52 AM
este914 posted...
theshoveller posted...
Shin_Gallon posted...

But it didn't have a previous owner - it was never bought or owned from the store selling it, or given away or anything. Pre-owned means someone, at some point, owned it before you.

If I bought a game, and never opened it up, but decided ten years down the road, would I sell it as a new game? Nope - I would sell it as a pre-owned game, but in new condition and never-before-opened. But that's just my opinion on it, so... agree to disagree?
#58GreatHammurabiPosted 1/4/2013 9:21:02 AM
I won't purchase a 'new' game unless it's completely sealed. I actually had a Gamestop employee give me grief about that a while back.

Went to go purchase Xenoblade and the only one they had was the opened 'new' copy. I asked him if they had any sealed copies and he told me no, so I said "No, thanks, I'll wait until there are some sealed copies"

He gave me a 'you gotta be kidding me' look and said "Are you serious?". I said yes and explained how I have a thing about buying new games that aren't sealed. He went on about how it really is 'new' and how I'm probably going to go get the game somewhere else just because "I don't want to buy their 'new' copy". I eventually just said "Okay, man" and left.

He was extremely bitter and overly aggravated about the whole thing for no real reason. Needless to say, I haven't gone back to that Gamestop. I actually enjoy the employees at the one closest to my house.
---
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h81/GreatHammurabi/MySig.jpg
#59BiZzArR0Posted 1/4/2013 9:24:35 AM
They are "not new", because the container was open and there's always a risk of manuals getting read by others, or pack-in material getting lost. If you get offered an open/unsealed game, refuse it. I've gotten to the point at my Gamestop that the guys know I refuse to buy opened things and they know better now, so they don't even try to pass anything otherwise off on me.
---
PRO TIP: Use your signature to display a witty quote or saying.
#60este914Posted 1/4/2013 9:24:40 AM
Godly_Goof posted...
este914 posted...
theshoveller posted...
Shin_Gallon posted...

... The game disc has not been used, therefore it's still new open or not, by very definition its new for crap sake. So no you sir are wrong.

It's open but it's still new. Until its in a game system it's new. End of discussion :/

But, as my initial post said;

este914 posted...
I've seen some .... erm *dirty*(?) clerks at Gamestop mishandle some games before ... and try to sell them to me as *new* condition ... I dont much appreciate that.

I've seen some FILTHY worker put their greasy fingers all over my game disk that I purchased as NEW ... When the disk has smudge marks and scratches on it I certainly am not purchasing it in the same condition as I would a factory sealed NEW game.

Doesnt Matter if it ever reached the insides of a console or not... When they sell it to me in (sometimes) WORSE condition then buying a game that was actually PLAYED and USED by someone else, there is a problem, no?
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only!