This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Someone recommend me a game with a good plot

#1LenneValkiryePosted 1/4/2013 12:23:02 PM
My idea of "good plot" is one that lacks cheap plot devices that writers abuse when they write themselves into a corner. More specifically, the plot devices I wouldn't want to see are:

-power of love/friendship
-immortality/resurrection
-cheap teleportation. I'm talking about the kind antagonists use to instantly travel to the other side of the world whenever they want. Short-distance teleportation is fine.
-physical gods. There is no such thing as a physical god. It's a convenient title given to absurdly powerful characters to justify the fact that they're a source of countless cheap plot devices such as teleportation and immortality. Note that I'm talking about physical gods, so myths and gods that may or may not actually exist are fine.
-amnesia
-mind control/body possession
-black and white morality. No "evil for the lulz" antagonists. Also, if an antagonist is shown to be morally grey, don't suddenly turn them into an all evil sadist.
-unexplained parental abandonement. Orphan characters might be an overused plot device, but an explaination is still better than no explaination.
-the mandatory female character who is good for nothing other than showing how helpless she is and becoming someone's (usually the protagonist) love interest.
-villain stupidity. If the bad guy has a chance to kill one of the good guys for good, he needs to take it without hesitation.

Note that fantasy and sci-fi settings are fine as long as they don't have the aforementioned cheap plot devices.

Before you label me as some sort of elitist with unrealistically high expectations, I'm more than capable of enjoying games that employ cheap plot devices when I don't play them for the story alone.
This time I just want to experience a game with a good plot, if such a thing exists, even if it has bad gameplay and other flaws.

So, is there something that meets the above criteria?
#2jrr18Posted 1/4/2013 12:25:41 PM(edited)
The Mass Effect trilogy.
---
Victory over the 2013 zombie apocalypse through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#3servb0tsPosted 1/4/2013 12:25:04 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions. PSP/PS3/HDTV
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner
#4SoleilArclionPosted 1/4/2013 12:27:33 PM
Yakuza. Actually mature plots, not that "we are relying on gore and profanity to not sound 5" maturity.
#5ZeroFinalPosted 1/4/2013 12:28:38 PM
Journey.
#6LuciusMcNastyPosted 1/4/2013 12:28:47 PM
Assassin's Creed 3
---
"Considering this morning you made a topic on this board titled 'Do chickens have pubes?' I wouldn't exactly say you're Mr. factoid." -MoxRavager
#7zinformantPosted 1/4/2013 12:31:24 PM(edited)
ZeroFinal posted...
Journey.

Write out the good plot of this game in more than 250 words.

EDIT: TC, reductionistically, you're going to find something cliched in fiction. It's nigh-on unavoidable.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#8SightoPosted 1/4/2013 12:30:37 PM
The Kingdom Hearts series.
---
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/15/15988000/ngbbs47fa102e7660f.gif
#9ukokira1Posted 1/4/2013 12:31:54 PM
The world Ends with you. While there is amnesia it's handled brilliantly and he gets his memory back %25 in the game.
---
Look at you, soaring through the air like an bird... Piloting a blimp.
#10LLL_DeadlyPosted 1/4/2013 12:33:32 PM
Sighto posted...
The Kingdom Hearts series.

"no power of love/friendship"
---
"Offense is the ultimate defense. If that were true, nobody would die, you know?" - Tales of Symphonia