This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First Ni no Kuni Review - 10/10 - 'The natural evolution of the Japanese RPG'

#71TiaelPosted 1/5/2013 3:20:17 PM
zerooo0 posted...
Why is nobody saying that Namco paid for the review? Like they would if it was say Metal Gear, FF, R*, CoD, ect.

Also I wouldn't trust a review from a Playstation site since it's a PS3 exclusive.(Not counting the DS version) like I wouldn't trust an Xbox exclusive review on a Xbox funded site.

http://thesilentchief.com/2013/01/02/gamemasters-uk-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch-review-score/
---
Ni no Kuni - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUPIPBDA-I
Dragon Quest > Tales of > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all three. Da Bears!
#72nonexistingheroPosted 1/5/2013 3:22:25 PM(edited)
Sighto posted...
Play more adventure games. There's way more than point and click.
Exploration isn't a defining aspect of RPGs, but it is of adventure.

Most adventure games come down to point & click. There are also some with actual walking around, but not that many. And yes, exploration is pretty much a defining aspect of RPG's. It's the 'the' defining aspect, but 'a' defining aspect. FFXIII seems to be a first in that it pretty much has no exploration (even compared to other linear RPG's), but even the developers made a statement about not thinking of the game as an RPG.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#73ATTACK__CATPosted 1/5/2013 3:24:10 PM
last time i checked studio ghibli and disney both get well reviewed (in disneys case exclusing all sequels and spin offs). doesnt mean that i want to watch them.

simply not the target audience.

aladin may be an amazing film and 10/10 but it just isnt for me. same with spirited away.

same with this game.

reviews take target audience into account. XBOX COD frat boys arnt likely to 10/10 aladin.

the target audience for this game = different from say 'deus ex human revolution'.

obvious but people seem to forget that. just because you think its looks great doesnt mean everyone does. just because TO YOU and YOUR PEERS in the SAME TARGET AUDIENCE AS YOU think its great, doesnt mean EVERYONE WILL ENJOY IT.

so no matter how good the review its pretty irrelevent to alot of people who just dont think its their sort of game.

i know ghost in the shell isnt for everyone. its a very dark, adult anime with alot of talking. certainly not for kids. probably too slow for the frat boy crowd.

i still love it. does that mean you have to? no. am i hyping it in your face saying 'oh but this subjective review says its amazing' -> no. because you arnt me, and you arnt that reviewer. you have your own tastes and i accept it is a select taste.

just like JRPGS as a whole, let alone ones that are PROBABLY (based on stuio ghiblis record as the japanese disney) going to be fairly 'kiddy'. similar to how kingdom hearts was 'kiddy' because of disney.

not nessisarily bad, but 'kiddy' is a taste not everyone possesses. let alone 'kiddy' jrpg.

/endrant
---
*PSN yggdrasilProject*
*Black FC 1420 6344 0225
#74SightoPosted 1/5/2013 3:41:18 PM
nonexistinghero posted...
And yes, exploration is pretty much a defining aspect of RPG's. It's the 'the' defining aspect, but 'a' defining aspect.

That's a common misconception on this board. You're not the only one to not get it.
---
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/15/15988000/ngbbs47fa102e7660f.gif
#75HolyMcmolyPosted 1/5/2013 3:53:55 PM
Playstationlifestyle.net. I know I'll never agree with them now, so I'll never go to that site. Never.
#76Still__RippinPosted 1/5/2013 3:56:42 PM
You know, it's sad that Ni No Kuni fans have to overhype this mediocre game so much. It didn't even do well in Japan. Obviously whoever that reviewer is is just desperate for a JRPG to play. I can relate, but, that doesn't make the game better than it is.
---
Regardless of how many people call me a troll I always speak the truth.
Currently playing- Magic 2013, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Black Ops 2, Demons Souls
#77nonexistingheroPosted 1/5/2013 4:53:46 PM
Sighto posted...
nonexistinghero posted...
And yes, exploration is pretty much a defining aspect of RPG's. It's the 'the' defining aspect, but 'a' defining aspect.

That's a common misconception on this board. You're not the only one to not get it.

You mean you have no f***ing clue what makes an RPG -__-
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#78KOTRwhoopsPosted 1/5/2013 4:56:12 PM
Excited.
---
PLAYING - Far Cry 3 (360), Walking Dead (360), Tales Of Graces f (PS3)
MOST WANTED - FFvsXIII, GTAV, Ni No Kuni, Tales Of Xillia, Lightning Returns
#79rumbalumbaPosted 1/5/2013 5:39:07 PM
Still__Rippin posted...
You know, it's sad that Ni No Kuni fans have to overhype this mediocre game so much. It didn't even do well in Japan. Obviously whoever that reviewer is is just desperate for a JRPG to play. I can relate, but, that doesn't make the game better than it is.

the ds version sold 600,000. do you really think those initial 600,000 didn't affect the ps3 version, which came out like 2 years after? most likely those who have ps3s already played the ds version. why? 'cause it's japan.
---
Everyone should play Ni No Kuni.
#80Pereb27Posted 1/5/2013 5:42:15 PM
rumbalumba posted...
Still__Rippin posted...

the ds version sold 600,000. do you really think those initial 600,000 didn't affect the ps3 version, which came out like 2 years after? most likely those who have ps3s already played the ds version. why? 'cause it's japan.

This. Not to mention 600,000 is a huge success for Japan, and 200,000 (I think that's what the PS3 version sold) is also a good number over there.