This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How bad can static electricity harm a PS3 Console? (Specifically the super-slim)

#1VodkaSwivelPosted 1/4/2013 7:11:25 PM
Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I ended up discharging some static electricity (twice actually, within a span of five minutes or so) right to the metal parts of the disc reader inside my PS3 while I was disc changing. I know that static electricity is generally bad for electronic components, such as motherboards, etc. and just wanted to know if this will effect my PS3's performance or "health" in someway.
#2Devilmaycry245Posted 1/4/2013 7:13:34 PM
Are you Cole Macgrath?
---
There are but two types of fights. Whenever we go into battle, it must be one of the two: The fight to protect life or the fight to protect pride!
#3Taran_McDohlPosted 1/4/2013 7:14:45 PM
As long as you were not touching anything inside the ps3 then you are fine.
---
An excuse is the sauce fools spoon over failure to hide the flavor of their own incompetence.
PSN: Taran_Omega / Steam ID: tpanciera
#4archizzyPosted 1/4/2013 7:14:53 PM
No need to concern yourself. Just go about your business.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#5VodkaSwivel(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 7:18:10 PM
Taran_McDohl posted...
As long as you were not touching anything inside the ps3 then you are fine.

This refers to the exclusively internal components of the PS3, like the processor and such right? Sorry to sound dense, just making sure.
#6Newbie00Posted 1/4/2013 7:21:16 PM
You should be okay, but it is a Sony product afterall, so you should be a little bit wary.
---
Sokar, Eliot... lay off Tony. I can vouch for him. He's a top lad and a massive PS3 supporter. He's not an enemy here. - SomnusNemoris on the Sony Defense Force
#7CorathTheHungPosted 1/4/2013 7:24:42 PM
Newbie00 posted...
You should be okay, but it is a Sony product afterall, so you should be a little bit wary.

Idiotic. Would make more sense if we were talking about a MS product.
#8NightDrifter05Posted 1/4/2013 7:26:29 PM
Newbie00 posted...

Well it's a Sony product so at least it's more reliable then anything with a Microsoft logo on it.
#9Zack_Attackv1Posted 1/4/2013 7:44:28 PM
lol at Newbie00 failing.
---
|L|A|y|l|A|
My anti-drug
#10Newbie00Posted 1/4/2013 9:47:23 PM
Why did you both assume I care about Microsoft in any fashion?

Typical reflexive Sony fanboy behaviour.
---
Sokar, Eliot... lay off Tony. I can vouch for him. He's a top lad and a massive PS3 supporter. He's not an enemy here. - SomnusNemoris on the Sony Defense Force