This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Honest question: Why is it that the PS3 exclusives better than Xbox exclusives?

#81TheArcadePosted 1/5/2013 12:33:16 PM(edited)
MadDewg posted...
nonexistinghero posted...
MadDewg posted...
Because they're still entirely different types of games. XBLA games are usually shorter, simpler and have much lower production values, on top of usually being entirely different. Until XBLA starts having games that can compare to retail games such as Gears of War, Halo, Forza, Fable, Uncharted, Killzone, Dark Souls, Resident Evil 6, Final Fantasy XIII, etc, there's really no comparison.

In no way can XBLA games act as a substitute for retail exclusives, no matter how great they are.

Yes they can, since the point of playing a video game is to have fun with it. What the hell does production values have to do with a game being great or not? If that was the case, games like pac-man, donkey kong, super mario brothers, legend of zelda, etc. would have long since been forgotten.

Some of the franchises you quoted also started off from humble origins. Resident evil on playstation and final fantasy on nintendo didn't need huge ass budgets to be great games.

GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg Playin' bayonetta, dungeon fighter live, gears of war 3, tales of graces, borderlands, dust: an elysian tail.

Production value is only part of the reason. Fact is, XBLA (and similar PSN games) can't compare to retail releases in many ways. Hell, many of them can't even compare to older retail releases. Call me when they release something of the caliber of FF7 or hell, even FF6, or the original Resident Evil, MediEvil, Silent Hill, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, etc.

Yeah, for some genres like Shmups and puzzle games the XBLA kind of games do a decent job in being a substitute. For most other genres, they're not even close in catching up to even a few generations ago.

......you still do not understand what I am talking about. You are going on about this comparing to that, but none of that matters with what I'm talking about right now or my original post in this topic...a game achieving its basic goal, which is for it to be fun.

I'm not saying 360 and PS3 retail exclusive games suck (or how arcade games compare to retail games, wherever the hell this point came from), I'm saying that the majority of xbox live arcade games achieved that basic goal for me way more than retail exclusive games from both the 360 and PS3 have. And when it comes to "comparing" games in which was the most fun, you damn right I can compare the likes of dust: the elysian tail (which was started up by like, a single guy) to stuff like infamous, gears of war, uncharted, god of war, etc., etc.

I concur 110 percent I know friends who bought their 360 exclusively for XBLA. Some of my favorite titles on PS3 are on PSN. Games like Supestar Dust & Wipeout. I'd infinitely prefer those to Dude Raider or the grunt in loincloth runnng around looking like a sissy.

It doesn't matter the budget a lot of those network games are genuinely fun. Give me MSH, MvC1/2 any day over MvC3 & Ultimate! Third Strike is every bit as great as SF4 hell Garou MOTW can be just as complex as KOFXIII. Do I want Hydro Thunder or Forza? Scott Pilgrim or Gears? For anyone to say retail games are better than network games is opinionated rubbish. I think I speak for a lot of folks when I say more online games needs to be encouraged. They can keep pumping out retail releases but on the network side I would like them to continue delivering the hits most of us are still waiting on Capcom vs SNK 2.
---
Greatest Shows of All Time.
Avatar: The Last Airbender, SWAT Kats, Sailor Moon, Tetsuwan Atom 2K3, Transformers, Spiderfriends
#82shawnmckPosted 1/5/2013 12:35:41 PM
Opinion =/= Fact
#83googlerPosted 1/5/2013 12:37:38 PM
Grunt40 posted...
UC3 is jaggy and cartoony, try again.

Better than Gears' over abuse of brown. I'd rather have a bright, colorful game than one that looks like a picture taken in the 1800's.

art direction =/= graphics, genius...try again. Look at all the other crap going on at once in a game, like lighting, textures, particles, etc. I would say Uncharted beats beats fears as a cinematic experience but not so much through "graphics"
#84glory of power metalPosted 1/5/2013 12:39:06 PM
I'm apparently ignoring quite a few messages from a couple users in this topic, which is never a good sign. Judging from the stuff I can actually see, though, this is a bad topic and you should all feel really really bad.
---
i7 Quad 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#85MadDewgPosted 1/5/2013 1:40:37 PM
They're still completely different gaming experiences. While there have been plenty of XBLA/PSN games I've greatly enjoyed (that weren't just ports from older retail games), they just do not come close in terms of experience. They don't give me a feeling of being grand, epic and immersive (which is still something that can be done with a smaller budget).

...sucks for you. My posts in this topic is basically just my opinion on things in the first place, lol. To me, a game is a game and fun is fun, no matter if you play it on a tiny handheld screen, a HDTV, or if the game has a massive budget or not.

I concur 110 percent I know friends who bought their 360 exclusively for XBLA. Some of my favorite titles on PS3 are on PSN. Games like Supestar Dust & Wipeout. I'd infinitely prefer those to Dude Raider or the grunt in loincloth runnng around looking like a sissy.

It doesn't matter the budget a lot of those network games are genuinely fun. Give me MSH, MvC1/2 any day over MvC3 & Ultimate! Third Strike is every bit as great as SF4 hell Garou MOTW can be just as complex as KOFXIII. Do I want Hydro Thunder or Forza? Scott Pilgrim or Gears? For anyone to say retail games are better than network games is opinionated rubbish. I think I speak for a lot of folks when I say more online games needs to be encouraged. They can keep pumping out retail releases but on the network side I would like them to continue delivering the hits most of us are still waiting on Capcom vs SNK 2.

Yep, xbla/psn is definitely where the most creativity is at console wise. I got so much playtime out of the dishwasher: dead samurai, scott pilgrim, hard corps uprising, guardian heros, shadow complex, bomberman live etc. In my opinion xbla/psn in general is definitely a nice break from all the same ol' same ol' "buy game, play through campaign whilst watching all the pretty explosions, beat game then trade in since replayability is lacking" type of games we have been getting on consoles this generation.

*...and yeah, I'm hoping for a capcom vs snk 2 port myself. Played the **** out of this game online back in the xbox 1 days, lol*
---
GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg Playin' bayonetta, dungeon fighter live, gears of war 3, tales of graces, borderlands, dust: an elysian tail.
#86CodytheHeroPosted 1/5/2013 2:03:25 PM
Nope, it isn't

Halo>All PS3 FPS
Gears=Uncharted
Forza>>>>>>>Grand Turismo

LOL Reassurance post. Massive butthurt with this one.
---
Previously known as fallenxlionheart
#87Cranman1982Posted 1/5/2013 2:52:18 PM
Halo >>>> Resistance
Banjo >>>>> Ratchet and Clank
Gears >>>>Uncharted
Halo Reach >>>> Killzone
Forza >>>> Disgaea
Halo ODST >>>>> Heavy Rain
Banjo >>>>> Jak and Daxter
Banjo >>>>> Sly Cooper
Gears Judgement >>>> Infamous
Halo Wars >>>>>>>> Ni No Kuni wrath of the white witch

Above is a post from another person disputing that sony has more variety in titles than MS.... I think it speaks for itself.
#88TheArcadePosted 1/5/2013 3:12:26 PM
MadDewg posted...
They're still completely different gaming experiences. While there have been plenty of XBLA/PSN games I've greatly enjoyed (that weren't just ports from older retail games), they just do not come close in terms of experience. They don't give me a feeling of being grand, epic and immersive (which is still something that can be done with a smaller budget).

...sucks for you. My posts in this topic is basically just my opinion on things in the first place, lol. To me, a game is a game and fun is fun, no matter if you play it on a tiny handheld screen, a HDTV, or if the game has a massive budget or not.

Yep, xbla/psn is definitely where the most creativity is at console wise. I got so much playtime out of the dishwasher: dead samurai, scott pilgrim, hard corps uprising, guardian heros, shadow complex, bomberman live etc. In my opinion xbla/psn in general is definitely a nice break from all the same ol' same ol' "buy game, play through campaign whilst watching all the pretty explosions, beat game then trade in since replayability is lacking" type of games we have been getting on consoles this generation.

*...and yeah, I'm hoping for a capcom vs snk 2 port myself. Played the **** out of this game online back in the xbox 1 days, lol*

Yep, there is a drout in innovation this gen many devs making retail games chose to stick with the safe route even if that means adopting the same tired old formula. All about that guaranteed buck. Whereas Arcade the risk is reduced and sees many innovative games from gamers back catalog at it's disposal.

You ask me XBLA kicks the crap out of retail, I would proudly play TMNT '89 over just about anything outside XBLA hell. I played Halo 4 with a couple of buddies of mine last night and while we enjoyed it we decided to play some Ninja Turtles it was a blast! People need to stow the shallow values and entitlements. You don't need flashy graphics and money in order to make a game good. All about gameplay.
---
Avatar: The Last Airbender, SWAT Kats, Sailor Moon, Tetsuwan Atom 2K3, Transformers, Spiderfriends
#89TheArcadePosted 1/5/2013 3:29:12 PM
Cranman1982 posted...
Halo >>>> Resistance
Banjo >>>>> Ratchet and Clank
Gears >>>>Uncharted
Halo Reach >>>> Killzone
Forza >>>> Disgaea
Halo ODST >>>>> Heavy Rain
Banjo >>>>> Jak and Daxter
Banjo >>>>> Sly Cooper
Gears Judgement >>>> Infamous
Halo Wars >>>>>>>> Ni No Kuni wrath of the white witch

Above is a post from another person disputing that sony has more variety in titles than MS.... I think it speaks for itself.

He didn't account for the niche market, Microsoft is better than that. Allow me to demonstrate.

Halo ^ Resistance
Trials Evolution ^ Ratchet and Clank
Gears ^ Uncharted
Shadow Complex ^ Killzone
Lost Odyssey ^ Disgaea
DeathSmiles ^ Heavy Rain
Dust: An Elysian Tail ^ Jak and Daxter
Dead or Alive 4 ^ Sly Cooper
Alan Wake American Nightmare ^ Infamous
Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram Ver.5.66 ^ Ni No Kuni wrath of the white witch

Which isn't to argue they have better games however if you're trying to dispute Xbox 360 lacks variety I believe you're mistaken.. MS library makes a very strong case.
---
#90TheArcadePosted 1/6/2013 11:28:37 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]