This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

For people 26+ gaming is extremely boring now.

#371TerotrousPosted 1/7/2013 9:11:59 AM(edited)
TC obviously bought the wrong system. If you want risky, innovative games, you don't buy the console where a "low budget" game is 15 mil. Those games have almost all gone to Wii, DS, PSP, and Steam, where you can make games for a fraction of the price.

As an added bonus, handheld games are more suitable for adult gamers since they're easier to fit into a busy schedule. If you only have a few minutes to play a game, you can do that and then just put it into sleep mode, and you don't need to be near a TV.

Though it is kind of understandable in some sense. Last gen, PS2 was basically all there was in terms of gaming. It had the big games, like Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, and Grand Theft Auto, and it also had the little games, like Culdcept, Okami, and Skygunner. This generation, production costs became too high for many small devs to keep up with, and that effectively cleaved gaming down the middle, with those big games ending up on the HD systems while the small ones went to the others. If you enjoyed both, you have no choice but to buy at least two systems.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#372toastedmuffin89Posted 1/7/2013 9:16:38 AM
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
toastedmuffin89 posted...
archizzy posted...
I never said you didn't game back then. I said you are delusional for thinking the current generation of gaming is better then previous ones. While an opinion can't be wrong I just want to show how much in a minority you are and put you on the spot for it.
You're a good example to all these peoples post who don't like gaming as much any more.
IMO you're not even a real gamer is why. You're a casual who likes the specs of high end TV's more then playing video games.

Which btw I'm not saying that is a bad thing. But in my opinion from what I see in all your posts you like your TV's more then video games.

WTF? I also like Basketball more than games, does that make me a casual gamer?

What kind of mindset is this?

And yes, been gaming since 1993, and gaming is better than ever.

As I said, imo,

"25 and a half here, and no way am I bored.
I'm older, have more free time, have consoles that can play all my favorite series and are Region Free (i.e. FF I-X & MGSaga on PS3/VITA), games are cheaper than ever, games are packed with more content than ever, games are more polished than ever, games are more innovative than ever."

If you like baseball more then video games then common sense should tell you that you're more of a casual gamer then someone who likes video games more then any other hobby.
#373TerotrousPosted 1/7/2013 9:36:02 AM
In any case, I'm also of the opinion that all of the generations of gaming are close to equally good. Each generation offers a lot of good things. However, the number of systems you have to buy to get a well-rounded experience varies, and last generation gaming may have been the most fragmented it has ever been. If you owned only one system, regardless of which one it was, I can see how you might have thought last gen was the worst.

However, I do somewhat agree that the gaming market is becoming more heavily commercialized and publishers are becoming more risk-averse. I don't think we've seen widespread damage from this yet, but it is a concerning trend. This next generation is the first one for which I am less hopeful that good games will get localized than the one before it, it seems like localization companies are localizing far less than they were 5 years ago.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#374NicodimusPosted 1/7/2013 2:02:22 PM
I'm 48, and I don't feel that way. I mean, I think the market is oversaturated with action/shooty crap that doesn't interest me, but it always has been.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#375Spiroth_KweehhPosted 1/7/2013 2:23:37 PM
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
archizzy posted...
I never said you didn't game back then. I said you are delusional for thinking the current generation of gaming is better then previous ones. While an opinion can't be wrong I just want to show how much in a minority you are and put you on the spot for it.
You're a good example to all these peoples post who don't like gaming as much any more.
IMO you're not even a real gamer is why. You're a casual who likes the specs of high end TV's more then playing video games.

Which btw I'm not saying that is a bad thing. But in my opinion from what I see in all your posts you like your TV's more then video games.

WTF? I also like Basketball more than games, does that make me a casual gamer?

What kind of mindset is this?

And yes, been gaming since 1993, and gaming is better than ever.

As I said, imo,

"25 and a half here, and no way am I bored.
I'm older, have more free time, have consoles that can play all my favorite series and are Region Free (i.e. FF I-X & MGSaga on PS3/VITA), games are cheaper than ever, games are packed with more content than ever, games are more polished than ever, games are more innovative than ever."

If you like baseball more then video games then common sense should tell you that you're more of a casual gamer then someone who likes video games more then any other hobby.

lol that's the most ridiculous statement of all time!

Try beating the original FINAL FANTASY in less than 6 hours, try beating it White Mage SOLO, try Perfect Tetra Master in FINAL FANTASY IX, try being one of the best players worldwide on PES, try a perfect save file on FINAL FANTASY VIII and Jade Coccoon, try a MGS2 European Extreme Big Boss rank, try beating the Dark Aeons and Penance without Zanmato, or Omega Weapon (FINAL FANTASY VIII) without Heros/Holy Trials/Lionheart/Duel, and beating Resident Evil 2 on less than 2 hours, and then talk about hardcore.

And LOL at linking a hobby with another hobby and somehow making the one hobby seem as less hardcore, just because I like one a little more than the other.

I guess, if someone likes sex, cars, basketball, gaming and Anime, and has invested thousands of hours in each, he must be casual in all of them.

Most ridiculous thing I have ever read outside of Soundcell's/Agent Greer's/Axsion's/BoosterBurst's rants.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#376MantisoPosted 1/7/2013 2:24:55 PM
25 and while my passion for gaming has lessened in the last few years and i don't have as much time and stick to one game every month or two, i gotta say the line up for the coming year looks amazing. Just today I was scrolling through the upcoming games I'll probably pick up and I doubt I'll be able to fit them all in. Just before the break I was thinking of getting the Mass Effect trilogy (only played 2 and 3 before) but now I think I'll skip it to save some room for new stuff. Might do the same with the Hitman collection which I was also looking forward to. As much as I love them I'd rather spend my time and money on something new and save older games and replays for when I've got nothing else.

I guess it depends on what you want and how much of it. But for me this year looks great and I can already see myself getting a dozen new games not to mention the inevitable hidden gems and indie titles that will come out. That's more than enough to keep me happy.
---
I'm not gonna cry about my Pa. I'm gonna build an airport. Put my name on it - Worlds First Analrapist
PSN ID: SolidKev
#377NicodimusPosted 1/7/2013 3:53:16 PM
I was thinking of getting the Mass Effect trilogy (only played 2 and 3 before) but now I think I'll skip it to save some room for new stuff.

Ugh. ME1 is the best one. I'd rather have it than 2 and 3 combined.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#378SeeD-LWPosted 1/7/2013 4:30:45 PM
Turning 29 this year.

I got genuinely surprised by some fun, exciting and engaging games from this generation of consoles (I own a PS3 and an X360), but they were few and far in-between. I agree that it has become boring, but you will also find genuinely good and fun games amidst the sea of casual titles --- among all those hack-n-slash games, you find a Bayonetta, for example.

That said, my PS2 library is way bigger than what I got so far for my XBOX 360 and PS3 combined (which isn't much, of course) and even the games I've got for my old XBOX are much more fun to play (if I could get the DVD reader to function) than what we're getting.

And, of course ... PC gaming. Oh PC gaming, what happened to you? I remember fondly the days when I'd play games like Theme Hospital, Startopia, Command and Conquer and Alpha Centauri for HOURS on end. They were fun to play, they got hooked from the very beginning, and you wouldn't feel tired from playing them until you were actually exhausted.

Nowadays, I don't care at all for PC gaming. (It's actually saving up a lot of my money so ... yay?)
#379THMBZDownGNZUpPosted 1/8/2013 10:51:05 PM
Technically, next generation console gaming will see a resurgance of mid-to-late '90s. It's an evolution in mindset, that a decades old generation (in this case, the 1990's) will make comebacks in all media outlets. This includes television, movies, and especially gaming.
#380Hustler NinePosted 1/8/2013 11:32:04 PM
I'm 28 now and I started gaming with Atari2600.

I'm bored and very few games got me interested this gen. Bioshock is one of them. I have not played a FPS like this before. I liked Dead Space 1 but Dead Space 2 is so predictable which makes me not to want the 3rd one.

The only better thing this gen is the online play but even that bores me after a while.
---
If you call the Devil, Dante will come. If you call Dante, then...Devil May Cry...