This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which require more skills to play, Console games or PC games?

#51LuminescentRulePosted 1/6/2013 12:26:26 AM
LuminescentRule posted...
CooperRC posted...
From my experience of playing the same online game on a console and a PC, the PC experience has always been far more challenging. There are some hardcore skilled players on the PC. The consoles are filled with casuals that are easy to beat.

I agree - there are lots of pc gamers with nothing better to do than play one game for years.

And your point is...?

That lots of pc gamers have nothing better to do than play one game for years so they become good at it. Console gamers vary the games they play and most aren't going to focus on one game.

Do you have some facts to back that up? Console gamers get their online shut down for old games, and tend to (at least as far as the "competitive multiplayer" games go, strictly from my observations) more easily jump ship to the "next big thing". I'd say its just more likely that PC gamers are actually given the opportunity to stick with the classics they love (see counter strike...no "Call of Duty same thing every year" model there...)

Besides, its not like you can play one game and then only be good at that particular game. If you played Quake 3 / old Tribes games (basically the highest skill cap of any FPSes in existence) for a year you'd probably be good at just about every other FPS.

To me, it really depends on genre. RTS games to go PC gamers, easily, as do MOBA / ARPG type games. As for FPS, KB+M allows for more precise control, creating a bigger gap of skill between the middle of the pack and the top level players. I would say sports and racing games go to the consoles due to the much larger playerbases (i.e. a bigger pool of potential competition). I would also put fighting games on the console side for the same reason...people just don't really play fighting games much on PC.

How many big PS3 games have had their online shut down? Has Killzone 2's online been shut down? Resistance 2? Demon's Souls? Uncharted 2?

As for people jumping to the "next big thing", could it be because consoles constantly get experiences that you'd be foolish to ignore?

On PC, people are stuck to the usual - WoW, Dota, LoL, TF2, CS. Same old, same old. Don't blame consoles games if they want to experience something different.
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/EmperorLawlight.png
#52twinsfan19Posted 1/6/2013 12:34:05 AM

I agree - there are lots of pc gamers with nothing better to do than play one game for years.

And your point is...?

That lots of pc gamers have nothing better to do than play one game for years so they become good at it. Console gamers vary the games they play and most aren't going to focus on one game.

Do you have some facts to back that up? Console gamers get their online shut down for old games, and tend to (at least as far as the "competitive multiplayer" games go, strictly from my observations) more easily jump ship to the "next big thing". I'd say its just more likely that PC gamers are actually given the opportunity to stick with the classics they love (see counter strike...no "Call of Duty same thing every year" model there...)

Besides, its not like you can play one game and then only be good at that particular game. If you played Quake 3 / old Tribes games (basically the highest skill cap of any FPSes in existence) for a year you'd probably be good at just about every other FPS.

To me, it really depends on genre. RTS games to go PC gamers, easily, as do MOBA / ARPG type games. As for FPS, KB+M allows for more precise control, creating a bigger gap of skill between the middle of the pack and the top level players. I would say sports and racing games go to the consoles due to the much larger playerbases (i.e. a bigger pool of potential competition). I would also put fighting games on the console side for the same reason...people just don't really play fighting games much on PC.

How many big PS3 games have had their online shut down? Has Killzone 2's online been shut down? Resistance 2? Demon's Souls? Uncharted 2?

As for people jumping to the "next big thing", could it be because consoles constantly get experiences that you'd be foolish to ignore?

On PC, people are stuck to the usual - WoW, Dota, LoL, TF2, CS. Same old, same old. Don't blame consoles games if they want to experience something different.

How is jumping from Modern Warfare 2 to Black Ops to MW3 to BLOPS2 "experiences [they'd] be foolish to ignore"? It's much easier to "experience something different" on PC. RTS, MOBA, and strategy genres actually exist on PC, they really don't on console. You can get games which previously went for $60 at a $10 price on steam sale. Steam sales alone mean that it's actually much easier for a PC gamer to experience a wide variety of games. Compare that to used console games (i.e. for the price similarities) where you have to put up with all that "online pass" bs. If you look at the top selling games on consoles, a bunch of them have a 2, 3 or 4 in the title...console players stick with sequels, and have their subset of games which are highly popular online. It's no different than PC.

Also, I still don't understand what this has to do with skill required to be good at a game.
---
Currently Playing: SC2, TF2, Tribes Ascend, Portal 2, Bastion
#53lambchipsPosted 1/6/2013 12:34:21 AM

you talk as if pc doesnt get any new games (with/without an online mode) so they are stuck with the same old same old, which is completely false
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#54Crimson681Posted 1/6/2013 12:55:43 AM
PC is where the people with money and jobs play most of their games.
#55LuminescentRulePosted 1/6/2013 1:04:49 AM
twinsfan19 posted...

And your point is...?

How is jumping from Modern Warfare 2 to Black Ops to MW3 to BLOPS2 "experiences [they'd] be foolish to ignore"? It's much easier to "experience something different" on PC. RTS, MOBA, and strategy genres actually exist on PC, they really don't on console. You can get games which previously went for $60 at a $10 price on steam sale. Steam sales alone mean that it's actually much easier for a PC gamer to experience a wide variety of games. Compare that to used console games (i.e. for the price similarities) where you have to put up with all that "online pass" bs. If you look at the top selling games on consoles, a bunch of them have a 2, 3 or 4 in the title...console players stick with sequels, and have their subset of games which are highly popular online. It's no different than PC.

Also, I still don't understand what this has to do with skill required to be good at a game.

You're confusing mainstream gamers with console gamers.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#56LuminescentRulePosted 1/6/2013 1:06:21 AM
Crimson681 posted...

PS3 gamers - 28, educated and moneyed.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#57twinsfan19Posted 1/6/2013 1:14:01 AM
twinsfan19 posted...

You're confusing mainstream gamers with console gamers.

You're confusing PC gamers with the subset that play the most popular games...and completely ignoring the fact that PC gamers have easy access to tons of recently released, good, discounted games.
---
#58twinsfan19Posted 1/6/2013 1:21:14 AM
Crimson681 posted...

I strongly doubt there's evidence for the "educated and moneyed" part :P
---
#59LuminescentRulePosted 1/6/2013 1:56:45 AM
Crimson681 posted...

I strongly doubt there's evidence for the "educated and moneyed" part :P

No, it actually makes sense.
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/EmperorLawlight.png
#60-Damien-(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2013 11:21:48 AM
Fungum posted...
SoaringDive posted...

And, considering how much PC gamers balled about their Dark Souls port, further shows that PC games can't require skill, because the community is so accustomed to being spoon fed "high-end graphicxzss!!!". Games requiring skill would mean they would actually have to play their games - which, clearly, they don't.

Right, use a **** port in an over generalization and come to the uneducated opinion that PC games take no skill. The Dark Souls port was absolute garbage.

Dark Souls is a console game, You dont get to count it as PC game.