This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A "mature" story in JRPGs -- does it have to be about saving the world?

#71RampantBlattPosted 1/5/2013 11:48:52 PM
PoorCountry posted...
OtakuGamera posted...
WRPGs is all about saving the world too?

They are, but I don't hear people asking for a mature WRPG.

Cuz they got blood, gore, and gritty sweaty old men.

All the not-straight-at-all guy gamers want.
#72LoveFreakFlonnePosted 1/5/2013 11:52:20 PM
I want my RPGs to be about a CEO of a major company, he has to do all sorts of tasks around the office, to help pump his level up to make the major CEO decisions. Or else, KFC will take over that street corner he was eyeing.
---
I'm just a dirty little pop song, that keeps running through your brain. And even though you know its so wrong you're gonna love going insane.
#73PoorCountry(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2013 11:53:30 PM
LoveFreakFlonne posted...
I want my RPGs to be about a CEO of a major company, he has to do all sorts of tasks around the office, to help pump his level up to make the major CEO decisions. Or else, KFC will take over that street corner he was eyeing.

How about Blade Runner? That isn't a save-the-world plot and its themes could be adapted into a video game.
#74ukokira1Posted 1/5/2013 11:56:45 PM(edited)
Zendaik posted...
ukokira1 posted...
The Workd Ends With You.

At the end the party, or more specifically Neku, saves Shibuya from destruction, though without knowing it.

I think there should be more JRPGs about not saving any particular place like a world or a town. One of the issues I have is that some of the games that don't have you saving the world at first like Persona 3 and Persona 4, Digital Devil Saga, TWEWY, and Shadow Hearts end up as save the world plots (though TWEWY is more like save the town, though without any knowledge of that. Still, it's basically save the world but in a smaller scale) even if it's not the main focus.

Actually Nekus main goal was to win the The Game. Saving Shibuyu was Megumis goal. Neku unfortuanly was unknowingly on the Composers side who wanted to destroy Shibuya. He just happened to convince the Composer to give Shibuya a second chance. Besides dont the secret reports mentioned that Shibuya was reset to a more ideal version? So the original Shibuya was still pretty much destroyed.
In other words: it wasnt all about saving shibuya
---
Look at you, soaring through the air like an bird... Piloting a blimp.
#75ZendaikPosted 1/6/2013 12:02:19 AM(edited)
ukokira1 posted...
Zendaik posted...
ukokira1 posted...
The Workd Ends With You.

At the end the party, or more specifically Neku, saves Shibuya from destruction, though without knowing it.

I think there should be more JRPGs about not saving any particular place like a world or a town. One of the issues I have is that some of the games that don't have you saving the world at first like Persona 3 and Persona 4, Digital Devil Saga, TWEWY, and Shadow Hearts end up as save the world plots (though TWEWY is more like save the town, though without any knowledge of that. Still, it's basically save the world but in a smaller scale) even if it's not the main focus.

Actually Nekus main goal was to win the The Game. Saving Shibuyu was Megumis goal. Neku unfortuanly was unknowingly on the Composers side who wanted to destroy Shibuya. He just happened to convince the Composer to give Shibuya a second chance. Besides dont the secret reports mentioned that Shibuya was reset to a more ideal version? So the original Shibuya was still pretty much destroyed.
In other words: it wasnt all about saving shibuya

Yeah I know, which is why I said unknowingly. Still the point is they put in a "save" plot point even if the characters didn't know (or know to care) about that, save the two key players. Also, I don't remember anything about Shibuya being reset but it's been a long time since I read all the reports. I just thought that Shibuya had just "changed" from what it used to be.
---
Monster Hunter Tri, Kid Icarus: Uprising IDs: Kirolos
#76ATTACK__CATPosted 1/6/2013 12:09:18 AM
so you wernt thinking of a mature story...

you just stated we want a mature story, and asked if we wanted mature presentation?

'People here want a mature story, but from what I've seen their favorite JRPGs are those like Tales of Vesperia. Is it mature presentation that people want? '

but then you said you dont nessisarily want it to be mature.

yes im confused between poor and motsu because you both seem to be saying the same thing but then not.

you both seem to have planned an opening together.,.. one of you said horror the other heavily alluded to mature...

then when i say it isnt horror or mature you say 'well he said it was horror not me' ' and he said it was mature (sort of) not me'.

can you see why im getting confused.

also things like this:

'Also, comedy uses immaturity for laughs -- that doesn't make comedy itself, or its author, immature. If I'm told to create something of pure evil, that doesn't mean I am that thing. It likely means I'm not that thing'

dont help.

comedy that uses immaturity for laughs is immature. by its very definition.

lets replace your evil with comedy to lessen confusion of a badly worded statement.

im told to create an immature joke, that doesnt mean i am immature, simply that i am creating something immature.

i understand this.what i dont understand is the point you were making.

immature comedy is a good portion of comedy as a whole, and i dont think a horror comedy exists that doesnt delve into pretty immature stuff. not saying it cant be done, but like i said, when dealing with books and films there is something called 'tone'. look it up if you dont understand.

the example i use is shadowhearts because you have played it. they dont overlap comedy and the serious parts. there were no jokes told when Killer died or when lady tried to revive him. no jokes at all main plot wise since well before entering the second to last dungeon.

thats because when you have a serious plot coinciding with jokes it ruins the tone and any emotional impact of the given scene is lost.

could you take a video of hitler commanding the SS to murder jews seriously if he was wearing a pink tutu? no. because hitler in a pink tutu is funny, and physical laughter will overwhelm any of the seriousness of the scene.

thus cartwheeling cannibals is not a good idea if you are trying to establish the death of this mans baby as significant in any way.

I have and always have been working on the assumption this man was relevent to the plot somehow as opposed to just a random scene of baby eating thrown in at the start.
---
*PSN yggdrasilProject*
*Black FC 1420 6344 0225
#77theofficefan99Posted 1/6/2013 12:16:22 AM
CooperRC posted...
I play a lot of JRPG's, but to be honest, I am sick of the save the world stories. You would think that some developers would have a few story writers that are a bit more original.

Drakengard, NIER, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy XII, Vagrant Story, etc. etc. etc.

There's a lot I can't think of at the moment, but they definitely exist. And it's something that works well. And usually, when it isn't "Save the world," it's pretty much the same thing, except smaller-scaled. "Save my family," "save my town," "save myself," etc. etc.

It works, and when it's done well, there's no problem. You can't avoid tropes, no matter how hard you try.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#78PoorCountry(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2013 12:29:06 AM
You're all mixed up, Attack Cat. Let's set aside our disagreement on whether comedy is mature -- I don't think it can be resolved by any measure of argument. To explain the intention of this thread, here are two quotes (from me -- both said to you):

PoorCountry the Magnificent
All that aside, you're missing the point of the thread. It isn't about whether such games exist, but whether people want them to. They want mature stories but their preference for what kind of mature story is limited to more of the same save-the-world stuff.

An incredibly patient soul by the name of PoorCountry
My point with this topic wasn't to share my idea of what a mature RPG would be, but [to ask] if those who are interested in one are mature enough to have one that isn't about saving the world.