This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Physical copy or digital? Which do you prefer?

#151jonnyram4000Posted 1/6/2013 3:36:12 PM
I like digtal myself but for consoles Physical due to the face they overcharge for games.
---
3820 5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | 3way FTW670 4gb |Sammy 830 256gb SSD I sammy 1tb l Mobo ASUS Rampage IV Formula l ASUS PB278Ql PSU ST1500 l HD598 l HDTV PN51D8000
#152TiamatKillerPosted 1/6/2013 3:36:40 PM
Nairodmatic posted...
MahoganyTooth92 posted...
Gam3r777 posted...
Physical. You don't really own a digital copy, you're just paying to use it.

That's where you are wrong.
Either way, physical or digital, you are paying for a license to use the game.

I rarely, if ever play online. I don't have any digital games. How could, say, Capcom revoke my license for playing DMC4?

ITT: I prefer physical. What's the point if the digital copy isn't cheaper?

1) Digital copies aren't subject to physical damage (directly to the medium)

2) Legally, if the reason is sound, your license to play the game can be revoked

3) Digital doesn't require travel

4) Digital copies ARE cheaper (Far Cry 3 released at $50, and got as low as $30 from online distributors). I got Saint's Row: The Third for $5.
---
GTX 560 Ti (2GB)/ z77-pro motherboard/ i5-3570k/ 8 GB RAM
#153paralyzed21Posted 1/6/2013 3:39:37 PM
physical.
---
http://www.wearethepanicdivision.com | http://www.facebook.com/thepanicdivision
---
#154cyan1001Posted 1/6/2013 3:44:09 PM
Physical copy
#155ReloadedPosted 1/6/2013 3:49:46 PM
I would rather have digital copies, but would never pay more than $29.99 for one. If the game is $60 new and I can't wait for a price drop then I'm getting the physical copy. I prefer Steam sales though, and having all my games ready to play on a HDD.
---
"When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."
#156Dan_Dan_91_07Posted 1/6/2013 3:54:37 PM(edited)
I should be saying digital - I've been preaching to everybody I know about the 'digital age' and how it is the future for everything from books to games. I still believe this is true but I am now worried about a number of things regarding it, however I'm not gonna list the numerous concerns but just mention one that I only just started thinking about yesterday.

I've spent a a lot of money on goods at the PSN store expecting to be able to access the re-downloadable content until, I don't know, at least the end of the next generation's consoles' lifeline. Anyway, I checked Sony's ToS yesterday and realised that they can actually decide to stop offering re-downloads whenever they want to.

"We do not guarantee to provide you with replacements if your purchases are lost or damaged due to file corruption, hard drive crash or for any other reason and any facility which we provide for re-download for certain Services may be withdrawn at our discretion."

http://legaldoc.dl.playstation.net/ps3-eula/psn/e/e_tosua_en.html

This means unlike disks, which can last for multiple decades even with regular use, if Sony decides to pull the plug (...maybe with the launch of PS4... :/) our downloads will be limited to however much we can fit on the hard drive and limited to the console's lifespan which is extremely short relative to a disk's. We can't backup our games obviously.
#157NairodmaticPosted 1/6/2013 3:51:56 PM
TiamatKiller posted...
Nairodmatic posted...
MahoganyTooth92 posted...
Gam3r777 posted...
Physical. You don't really own a digital copy, you're just paying to use it.

That's where you are wrong.
Either way, physical or digital, you are paying for a license to use the game.

I rarely, if ever play online. I don't have any digital games. How could, say, Capcom revoke my license for playing DMC4?

ITT: I prefer physical. What's the point if the digital copy isn't cheaper?

2) Legally, if the reason is sound, your license to play the game can be revoked

4) Digital copies ARE cheaper (Far Cry 3 released at $50, and got as low as $30 from online distributors). I got Saint's Row: The Third for $5.

Ok...have you ever heard of this happening to anyone? Not trolling.

Alright...if the prices are kept at $30 or lower for ALL games, then I just might convert.
---
Maybe video games should cost less than 20 million and take less than 3 years to make. Because $60 a pop is some b*******!
#158Dref151Posted 1/6/2013 3:59:19 PM
When pricing is similar, digital. it seems to load faster, and takes up no space. It's not hard to back up either. However a lot of the times older games are cheaper to get used, but when the game is brand new i don't see why i would go physical.
#159thisranksPosted 1/6/2013 4:09:08 PM
arstos posted...
I prefer physical, but if it's only available digitally I don't let that stop me from enjoying it, most of my ps3 games are psn games

I have to say that this is pretty much how i feel as well. I'd have hated to have missed out on some of the DD only games.
---
Elf this....Elf that....I'll Elf your mother.
Yuki Nagato FTW
#160nad2darePosted 1/6/2013 4:10:54 PM
Physical copy