This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Physical copy or digital? Which do you prefer?

#201ScoutisabellePosted 1/6/2013 7:55:29 PM
lostkiwi posted...
...you can start up any of potentially hundreds of installed games, any time you want, without even having to give a single thought to finding the case and putting in the disc.
...I don't need to look for discs or anything else.

Are you really that lazy and disorganized? You don't want to waste time finding the case and putting in the disc? Seriously? Are you one of those 800 pound people who are fused to the couch like on the Discovery Channel?
---
Now Playing: Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PS3), Tatsunoku vs. Capcom (Wii)
#202AnuroRayPosted 1/6/2013 7:57:50 PM
I find myself leaning more towards digital now for a few reasons. One is that digital takes up much less physical space ( i have a good 200 + games on a shelf from damn near every console since the nes). Two would be that matter of not having to deal with the care of the phsyical copies or swaping disks during game play and so on. And the Final is the fact that instruction manuals have been really really really poor this last generation. Best part of getting a new game right before putting it in and playing it would be the pre dump in which you would take the manual and read it (i cant be the only one that enjoyed that).
---
psn iiamurorayii
#203GrandpaShufflePosted 1/6/2013 8:08:41 PM
Physical. I can do what I want with it.

Physical because sometimes I like to bring the games over to a friends house.......

I like both of these reasons, but it seems like these are things that companies are trying to move away from..

We've seen possible intentions from Sony to restrict the used game market for consoles, which IMO is a terrible idea in that used games drive prices down, which attracts more potential customers and sells more systems. I think it's one of the key aspects of the console market. It will be interesting to see the sales numbers for the PS4 if they go that route (not likely, given the backlash over the past week).

I do still buy all my sports games on disc so I can take them to friends' houses, but that isn't as easy as it used to be either. A lot of the time, if they haven't played the game on their system, they have to go through a large game data install and then a software patch. And of course you can forget about playing your game online on multiple consoles without buying an online pass.

But these are strong arguments for continuing to produce games on physical media. It should be interesting to see if the companies who make the next generation of consoles think so, too.
---
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/SpiderWomp-1665/hero/11400803
#204lostkiwiPosted 1/6/2013 8:13:36 PM(edited)
Scoutisabelle posted...
lostkiwi posted...
...you can start up any of potentially hundreds of installed games, any time you want, without even having to give a single thought to finding the case and putting in the disc.
...I don't need to look for discs or anything else.

Are you really that lazy and disorganized? You don't want to waste time finding the case and putting in the disc? Seriously? Are you one of those 800 pound people who are fused to the couch like on the Discovery Channel?

You tell me:
https://plus.google.com/photos/111706836008225191735/albums/5374111514529179313/5374111602178189922
(that's from a link in that can be accessed from my user profile 'quote' section)

I run marathons for a hobbie. And there, ladies and gentlemen, is perfect proof that sweeping generalizations are stupid.

There are two options:
- Never having to look of discs
or
- Always having to look for discs

And you would chose the second just for the sake of it? Interesting.
---
Please support the gaming industry that both you and I love by choosing to play your games legally.
#205HunterTrainer72Posted 1/6/2013 8:20:13 PM
Depending on the game. It's nice to own certain games but others don't really bother me.
---
Whoever said bigger guns wins the war? It's all about the stupid people who want to kill themselves.
#206darkgod1000Posted 1/6/2013 8:20:21 PM
Physical. I hate taking up too much space on my hard drive.
#207allgamesgamerPosted 1/6/2013 8:28:03 PM
Definitely prefer a physical copy of the game.

Though if a game is only available digitally, like a good portion of PSN games, then I have no problems downloading those.
---
Please visit my forum website. The url is http://kidgame2001.proboards25.com
If you like it then please register and post. Thank you.
#208seyEliveDPosted 1/6/2013 8:29:08 PM
Digital all the way.

An example? My Vita has 4 Vita games, 8 PSP games, 8 PS1 games, 3 movies, and 250 songs on a single memory card! Imagine having to carry all those physical discs around, what a pain! Digital simplifies collections so I can easily sort, find, and transport digital goods ... I remember some friends saying the same things about digital only music and look where it is now. Digital is the future, no two ways about it. However, I am a sucker for a good limited / collectors edition box set ...
#209laszlo_olzsalPosted 1/6/2013 8:33:33 PM
physical copy. As a budget conscious gamer who regular trades in games to get other games, it's a no-brainer.

I think the future of digital only media makes console gaming an endangered hobby. People want more and more convenience, more and more portability and as a result the industry as a whole may be forever changed, probably for the worse.

People who draw analogies with the music industry need to ask themselves how much "better" the music industry has been in the 2000s compared to any other decade. That said, I'll still pursue creative games by indie publishers in the digital only future.
#210Metroid_LoverPosted 1/6/2013 8:48:24 PM
Gam3r777 posted...
Physical. You don't really own a digital copy, you're just paying to use it.

I agree, so true on all of that statement for me.
---
http://xkcd.com/931/
This is living after cancer. It's never really gone.