This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Physical copy or digital? Which do you prefer?

#61osboesPosted 1/6/2013 10:58:02 AM
Physical buy quite a margin.

I actually 'own' it and no TOS is going to take that away. Can't delete or erase it with the click of a button. Can boot up a new game straight away once purchased (software updates though). Can share it with my brother who has his own PS3 in his room and visa versa. Has resell value. Is still there to use in case of hardware failure (unless stuck in dead ps3 system). No internet required to purchase or play. Retail bargain bin buys and closing down clearances.

Digital has some uses. For example, PS1 games that weren't very scratch resistant and can be hard to find for some limited copies. For the most part though Physical is just more practical and better than Digital.
#62LionheartCJPosted 1/6/2013 11:04:40 AM
Physical......always, unless its only been released in digital format (Sonic 4)
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSWXqC7Dlhs - The Legend Of Don Piano
#63SophisticationPosted 1/6/2013 11:04:59 AM
osboes posted...
Physical buy quite a margin.

I actually 'own' it and no TOS is going to take that away. Can't delete or erase it with the click of a button. Can boot up a new game straight away once purchased (software updates though). Can share it with my brother who has his own PS3 in his room and visa versa. Has resell value. Is still there to use in case of hardware failure (unless stuck in dead ps3 system). No internet required to purchase or play. Retail bargain bin buys and closing down clearances.

Digital has some uses. For example, PS1 games that weren't very scratch resistant and can be hard to find for some limited copies. For the most part though Physical is just more practical and better than Digital.

So you're cheap... we get it. Don't like supporting the industry and developers... would rather buy used or from the "bargain" bin. Gotcha... and what good is a physical disc when the publisher or developers decide to pull the server down on your fav online game? Resistance gom is getting axed in march. What will that lead to?
---
As a sophistocrat I am here to represent my fellow like minded Sophisticated gamers with judicious topics & post that spark debate.
PSN: Sophistocrat
#64kingcam07Posted 1/6/2013 11:06:41 AM
Always physical
---
psn ID: kingcam07
#65WarhawkPosted 1/6/2013 11:07:10 AM
archizzy posted...
Godly_Goof posted...

When all games go digital, the server loads start crashing the host servers for them, the games will stay just as expensive even though it costs no where near as much as the physical copy does to make, you start having glitchy DLs that corrupt the game and it doesnt tell you till it's done and forces you to delete and redownload again, realize that you no longer are getting free pre-order bonus' and now have to pay for stuff that was or should be free inclusions, cant return a game if you dont like it, cant lend it to your friends to try, and the innevitable oops HDD died get them all again and waste a crap load of time doing it happens then we'll see how quick your tune changes on this "adapt business". Especially if your in Canada and have bandwidth restrictions that are useless >.>

Again I said I prefer physical. I'm not in favor of digital but it won't stop me from gaming.

Strictly talking about myself here I'm an offline gamer 99% of the time. Unless there is a 100% online all the time DRM connected to the game and the servers impact my single player only games that wouldn't be a large issue for me.

I have yet to have a single corrupt DL and I have plenty of digital patches, DLC, and PSN titles. Can it happen? Of course it can. Again though it wouldn't stop me from gaming.

I don't return games. I have been gaming over 30 years and don't buy games I don't like. I know my own tastes. I like all my games I buy.

As for the HDD it wouldn't impact me. I play one game at a time and move on. When my first PS3 got YLOD it never bothered me losing all the game saves and associated content because I was done with the games and was never going to play them again anyway.

There are many reasons I prefer physical copies. Ultimately though if it comes down to digital or quit gaming I will still buy digital games. That is all I'm saying.

Though now, like with PlayStation games, while I still own my PlayStation games but there aren't many places near me that actually sell used copies of games for that console around me. And the price some people want to charge online, is rather ridiculous, at least for a new copy of the game and only problem I have with used at times is "what's the condition of the disc?".
---
CRP: 12949 | FAQs: 15
FAQ Outlaws | Mega Man Legends
#66riddlebox89Posted 1/6/2013 11:11:19 AM
Physical, I'd rather actually own my games thank you.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#67WarhawkPosted 1/6/2013 11:14:21 AM
riddlebox89 posted...
Physical, I'd rather actually own my games thank you.

So don't I, but if a game is digital only like Mega Man 9 or Mega Man 10 for example. You won't have much of a choice then. Those two aren't like Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty where you can go get a physical copy of the European release like through Amazon.
---
#68MetrosexualVaanPosted 1/6/2013 11:16:55 AM
Gam3r777 posted...
Physical. You don't really own a digital copy, you're just paying to use it.
#69Ebak_the_catPosted 1/6/2013 11:17:46 AM
PC: Digital

PS3: Physical besides a few exceptions (PS1 classics, some PSN only games)

PSV: Combination of Digital and Physical, however I prefer physical because I save space on my memory sticks.
---
Video Game Design Graduate - University Campus Suffolk - Class of 2012
#70WarhawkPosted 1/6/2013 11:22:23 AM
Ebak_the_cat posted...
PS3: Physical besides a few exceptions (PS1 classics, some PSN only games)

I tend to be the same boat as you there. I have a few PS1 games from the store onto my PS3, and thought about getting a few more in the PS1 section.
---