This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats the better time and money investment: video games or photography?

#21Golden MavenPosted 1/6/2013 5:23:33 PM(edited)
If I'm actually on a trip or sight seeing, I don't want to spoil the moment taking pictures. I want to actually experience the place. Like say I'm viewing the great pyramids - they've already been photographed countless times, no to mention by professionals with better cameras. I would rather just watch them and "absorb" the ambiance of the whole place for myself, something a camera can't do.

squon8888 posted...
Theres a reason photography is on the rise

Because it's more convenient (digital) and affordable. It's just another hobby.
#22FiendingHardPosted 1/6/2013 5:27:35 PM
You can easily make money with photography. I know quite a few people who do it on the side at shows, weddings, or parties and I imagine the make a pretty penny for it.
---
What is faith then but persistent hope in the face of relentless doubt.
Now Playing: Far Cry 3, NFS Most Wanted, Final Fantasy 9.
#23LordOfLegaciesPosted 1/6/2013 5:28:30 PM
Golden Maven posted...
squon8888 posted...
Theres a reason photography is on the rise

Because it's more convenient (digital) and affordable. It's just another hobby.

Convenient yes, but it's most certainly not cheap.
The reason it seems to be on the rise as a hobby is because anybody with a couple hundred dollars can go to Walmart and buy a digital camera and they call themselves a photographer, which is fine, but like any other hobby, the vocal minority of pretentious douchebags and annoying little tools make the entire group look bad.
A decent photgraphy setup costs thousands, and a really really good one costs tens of thousands.
---
The moderation staff and system on this website are both absolutely terrible.
#24DAP1MP13Posted 1/6/2013 6:03:52 PM
Wait till you see the Nikon vs. Canon fanboy arguments.
---
The City never sleeps, it's full of villains and creeps, that's where I learned to do my hustle, had to scuffle with freaks.
PSN ID: DAP1MP13
#25glory of power metalPosted 1/6/2013 6:20:30 PM
Photography is a much more costly investment than videogames.

I'd say on a very general level, you should expect to drop about $2000 on your initial semi-pro camera. You could do it for cheaper, there are camera models and stock lenses that could get you started for under $1000, but in the world of photo you get what you pay for. You also have to consider you're getting a body, lenses, something to hold them in, a couple filters, tripod/monopod, high quality sd/flash card, extra batteries, flash, ect. It really adds up fast.

My first camera body, a used Canon 60D, was $700, and the first two lenses, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L and Canon 50mm f/1.4 were $1000 and $350 respectively. The next lense I'm getting is the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 II for $750 which is a HELL of a lot cheaper than the Canon counterpart. Just to give you an idea.

But like people have said, once you know what you're doing, it isn't hard to get a couple jobs on the side. It's hard as **** to make a full time living off of it, but if you want to make a couple hundred bucks every few weeks shooting stuff, Craigslist is all you need.
---
i7 Quad 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher