This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Saw parents buying Far Cry 3 for their kids in Gamestop the other day

#31Stanger5150Posted 1/6/2013 6:28:14 PM(edited)
Parents can decide what their children are mature enough to play. I used to feel the way you do TC, then I remembered my Mom buyin MK II for me when I was 12 and playing MK 1 in the arcade with my Grandmother watching when I was even younger.

There are some really bad parents out there, but letting a kid play a violent game or watch a rated R movie is not what determines that.

When my Mom got MK II, she talked to me about the violence, and she trusted me. I had earned that trust.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Final Fantasy, Alice: Madness Returns, The Walking Dead, Far Cry 3, Contra III, Okami HD
#32Draconas_LyrrPosted 1/6/2013 6:23:06 PM
Well, considering the last study I read (though it has been a few years) said that there was correlation but not causation between violent video games and violent people, I couldn't care less what kids play, as long as their parents are making sure their children know the difference between video games and real life.

I seen people speaking against this argument, but I'll say it anyways. I've been watching horror movies and playing violent video games my entire life, and when it comes to the real world, I'm borderline anti-violence. I understand it's occasional necessity, but still hate it.

Violent people are attracted to violent things, but it doesn't mean everyone that plays FPS games, etc are psychopaths.
---
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
I'll never look at an apple the same way again..
#33Merc123Posted 1/6/2013 6:23:50 PM
I have been playing M rated since i was a kid. I remember my parents buying me GTA games and Mortal Kombat games. I guess they were pretty easy going and just trusted me. I don't remember if i got a talk about the violence beforehand or not, probably did. I do remember my friends parents were much stricter and i was the only one with GTA until High School.

If i had kids, i would probably let them play Far Cry 3, if i felt they were mature to handle the game. If it did not feel that way i would not let them play it, simple as that.
---
http://www.facebook.com/MEmarauder - Marauder Shields Facebook page.
#34dudeitscoolPosted 1/7/2013 10:14:55 AM
I do feel we expose kids to too much at too young an age. It seems like people think that the way to judge it's effectiveness if if the kids turn out to be killers, but that is extreme cases.

There are other side effects that people don't even realize occur with exposure to "mature" content at such a young age. Anger issues, desensitized to violence, etc.

I'm sure many on here will attack the OP because they themselves were given the games at a young age and feel that the post is an attack on them or their parents, because if it's not pertaining to you then don't be offended just for the sake of being offended it's just sad on your part.

in any event, I was sheltered from a lot of stuff as a kid and I am completely ok with it. I get it and I appreciate my parents doing their jobs.

And to the person who said good for the parents it shows they have faith in their kids, that is borderline insane logic.
---
Looking at the big picture is easier on the eyes...
#35chiefofsb78Posted 1/7/2013 10:19:37 AM
Pereb27 posted...
http://i.imgur.com/JICOP.jpg

Thats sad and the little guy is into it too young parents today
#36supermoc10Posted 1/7/2013 10:31:09 AM
I'm sorry but I'm okay with kids playing M rated games as long as they've been well educated. I'm 14 and I've been very well educated by my parents so they don't even think twice when I ask for games like Halo,CoD,GTA or FC3 (awesome game by the way).
---
PSN & Xbox Live: supermoc10
"Mr Zurkon does NOT come in peace"
#37mountainmohawkPosted 1/7/2013 10:54:24 AM
Working retail, I can honestly say that 9 out of 10 parents don't give a damn about what the games are rated. I've explained that GTA is rated mature and contains blood, language, violence, sex, and drugs and the most common reply is "They watch TV".

If anything they might reconsider when they hear there is bad language or sex.
---
3DS friend code: (4983-4966-3074),
PSN: mountainmohawk, 360: m0untainm0hawk
#38mmpepsiPosted 1/7/2013 10:56:10 AM
Wario_man posted...
I know what you mean, TC. I've seen tons of kids walking around with Black Ops merchandise and seen others walking around with the games in their hands knowing their parents will get it for them.

Worse still, I went to see Looper and The Dark Knight Rises and both times they had young and younger children with them.
Baffling.

Dark Knight Rises is only PG-13.
#39jubjub360Posted 1/7/2013 10:56:51 AM
chiefofsb78 posted...
Pereb27 posted...
http://i.imgur.com/JICOP.jpg

Thats sad and the little guy is into it too young parents today

Children at that age can't differentiate between anything. They recognize mother's face but that's about it. Everything else is just... Blotchy.
---
Wanna see a professional spinner?http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/64907080 look at zuuku specifically!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#40justchill433Posted 1/7/2013 11:06:49 AM
So letting your kids play M rated games makes you a bad parent? I disagree. I grew up with parents that let me play RE1 when I was 8. I'm no worse for wear besides a few nightmares when I was a kid. I'm not saying ill let my 5 year old play GTA but if he isn't a brat then I I wouldn't mind him playing something like MGS (thats M rated right? You get my point though)
---
PSN: s1l3nt_x_cha0s GT: xziT4L3NTZx
*slips of cliff*