This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

it seems like japanese games took a big hit this gen

#1madanthony16Posted 1/7/2013 1:49:03 AM
one thing i've noticed after owning a PS3 and seeing game after game come out, it seems like japanese games are becoming less popular and receiving lower review scores, while western games are becoming more popular and receiving higher review scores. Its something that bothered me b/c i was expecting some great games from classic japanese devs like Namco, Capcom, Konami, Square, etc. and we got them. RE5, MGS4, FFXIII, Soul Calibur 4 etc. And as fun as these games were, they just seemed....stale.....they just weren't able to capture us like they did their predecessors. They're also getting lower review scores too. game series that typically getting 9s and 10 were now getting mostly 8s maybe even 7s in review scores.
but enough about that, why are western games all of a sudden getting so much attention? elder scrolls, batman, uncharted, portal, fallout, mass effect, Bioshock, Call of Duty, assassins creed, dead space and the souls series. in fact it seems to me that, Bethesda has replaced square, dead space has replaced resident evil, and first person shooters are everywere....
but seriously, why are western games starting to top over japanese games? is it b/c games once only available on PC are now on consoles? is it b/c square is screwing its fanbase? Or maybe japan has dominated the gaming industry for so long, its finally starting to die out. who knows, but if japan wants to be back on top, they need to step up their game.
don't put a tedious tailing mission in metal gear solid, make resident evil scary again, and above all, quit pandering to anime otakus. if japan can do these things, they will be back on top
---
" If its the Devil's music, Satan must be awfully proud. "
#2kupo1705Posted 1/7/2013 1:54:21 AM
It's because the quality of Japanese games has plummeted this gen.
#3BurgerTime79Posted 1/7/2013 1:56:08 AM(edited)
*skims over wall of text*

Companies are trying to get the most sales out of the consumers, and there's a large portion of the consumer market that plays nothing but M rated titles and shooters. Hence why a big portion of games catered to that demographic.
I was with you until you made the comment about "pandering to anime otaku". No one's being pandered to except for the online multiplayer market. If a game gets released that doesn't have online multiplayer (and god help them if they release a game that has just offline multiplayer), then the community gets in an uproar.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#4madanthony16(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2013 2:05:00 AM
^ah so you think its also because of the market and online multiplayer. thats a good point. it may explain why so many FPSs have been released over this gen.
---
" If its the Devil's music, Satan must be awfully proud. "
#5lambchipsPosted 1/7/2013 2:05:04 AM
madanthony16 posted...
is it b/c games once only available on PC are now on consoles

this...
in the past console gamers never had access to pc games, so they didnt know how good pc games were... but this gen pc games are made available on consoles and many people are starting to see pc indeed has great games

sadly people here still think pc has no games
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#6Devilman_AmonPosted 1/7/2013 2:20:04 AM(edited)
madanthony16 posted...

is it b/c games once only available on PC are now on consoles

This plus a lot of Japanese companies don't have the proper budget to make full blown AAA HD games and Japanese gamers dont really seem to care anyway just how much money you pump into a game to give it uber graphics as they've flocked to the handheld games which most developers in Japan have gone to in terms of development. Less risk more reward.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#7AlltraPosted 1/7/2013 2:10:24 AM
Just RPGs, everything else is still really good.
---
I sometimes feel as though life is a curse that has been placed on the living. I envy the unborn at times.