This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can Someone elaborate more on the difficulty of Demon/Dark Souls

#11cloud2556(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 6:28:02 PM
toadieman posted...
MalifacentX posted...
This will tell you everything... in "take it like a man" format.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/954345-demons-souls/reviews/review-138303

lol epic review.

Dude, I couldn't agree more.
---
"Only fools believe in deterrence."
#12cirkmetroidPosted 1/8/2013 6:29:41 PM
It's up for debate.

It's really foolish to call one difficult and the other just as difficult, especially since most people that have an opinion completely forget that the majority of the experience from playing Demon's Souls translates *very* well into Dark Souls.

Having said all that, I'll take a stab at this.

Sure, Demon Souls is hard. But it's hard to a *new player*. My advice, just have fun with the game, don't obsess over everything, seriously that just ruins games. Since these games don't have much of a story you don't want to be spoiled on the "oh crap" factor by knowing what is coming up ahead of you.

*ASSUMING YOU DON'T ABUSE THE HELL OUT OF SOME MAJOR BOSS WEAKNESSES SUCH AS HELLO, ARROWS, OR SAFE SPOTS, ETC* The bosses in Demon Souls are by large, actually quite difficult. The trouble nowadays I'm sure is that if you play a boss in co-op, the odds of encountering someone with abundantly overpowered weapons is pretty much guaranteed, they'll be killing everything for you, including the boss. If you see them one shotting monsters that take 5-6 hits of your own weapon/spells to kill, I'd recommend using the black thingamabob to eject them out of your world.

Or just never summon anyone. :)

It's very true that a lot of the difficulty in Demons Souls comes from experiencing the game, knowing how to deal with attacks, etc etc...you'll see lots of internet tough guys saying, "Oh wow, this is so easy why is everyone raving that it's so hard, omg lol, nuubs!" You know what I mean...

The game has been out for ages now, people weren't really saying that when they first played it. To summarize it, I'd say the game is *BRUTAL*, but not in the way you might think. I think bullet-hell games are some of the most challenging games out there. I mean, seriously...and there is a guy who can beat TWO Ikaruga games *at the same time*.

What makes the game hard is that if you make a mistake, it punishes you out the wazoo for it...You die, you start that level all over again. Sure, there are some shortcuts you can open up, assuming you find them. (Some are not so obvious) But you'll be hating that special part of the map that you have problems with *just like you always did in the NES days*

That is why Demon Souls is hard.

It's certainly worth mentioning that archery really breaks the living crap out of the games difficulty...I seriously don't recommend using it, it's far too tempting.

Dark Souls certainly has a lot of the same elements as Demon Souls, however the bonfires can somewhat alleviate some of the frustration from repeatedly bashing your head against the wall with certain areas...It's effectively a save/safe point in the level, everything resets, but you don't have to start COMPLETELY over. It's not all fuzzy rainbows though, naturally the world is designed around the bonfires, and much like the shortcuts, some are not so obvious. (Yes there are shortcuts in Dark Souls too, in fact later in the game you can even warp between bonfires)

Another thing worth mentioning is the difficulty scaling of new game+ between the two games...In my opinion it's a bit more likely to really end up getting into a bad spot level or equipment wise, as a real casual person, with Dark Souls than Demon Souls. I say this because by it's nature, Demon Souls is a more punishing game, and chances are you'll be more likely to be able to adapt if you find yourself underpowered in Demon Souls, AGAIN ASSUMING IT'S THE FIRST ONE YOU PLAY, than a person in Dark Souls.

That is an opinion, and using fuzzy personal bias logic since I of course played Demon Souls many times over before Dark Souls.

Both games are great, and they certainly have their differences.

Best advice I can give you...play the game and let things happen, don't obsess over spoilers, faqs, etc.
---
PSN: Cirkustanz
.....still refusing to give up hope of another Legacy of Kain game. Or at least an HD remake.
#13AlltraPosted 1/8/2013 6:33:15 PM
It's not hard, it's punishing. At first, the game will be slow paced, almost to the point of crawling along. You'll also make a lot of mistakes and die quite often. After awhile though, you'll get used to the game, and it won't be slow any longer, and you won't make many mistakes anymore, and the game will be fun as hell.
---
I sometimes feel as though life is a curse that has been placed on the living. I envy the unborn at times.
#14peter_888Posted 1/8/2013 6:45:36 PM
It's hard, but I do think people overexaggerate on how hard it really is. If your careful of your surrounds and has good reflexes, then the game isn't too challenging.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#15mmpepsiPosted 1/8/2013 6:48:35 PM
They're not that hard. More annoying than anything when you walk off a ledge due to the awful camera and die.
#16Godly_GoofPosted 1/8/2013 6:52:24 PM
It's just pattern recognition. Analyze, evade, counter, repeat till dead. Just remember that and the games a joke.
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#17_HlM_Posted 1/8/2013 6:53:23 PM
Can Someone elaborate more on the difficulty of Demon/Dark Souls

Prepare to die.
---
Why don't you go take a jog? Better yet, go kick some rocks.
Let me guess you have a blog, follow trends like it's your job.
#18lostkiwiPosted 1/8/2013 6:54:23 PM
It's not difficult as such. Once you understand the challenges it's actually pretty easy.

The thing is, there is a huge learning curve for each section and/or boss of the game, and it's that learning process that is the challenge. It will probably take a large number of deaths before you master each boss/section, and a death can not only be time consuming, you effectively lose all currency/experience you accumulated during that time.

At times you will feel like you've achieved nothing, even after a lot of effort, however with each and every death you'll gain more knowledge. I,E your sacrifices won't be in vain.

So, it's not difficult, as so much it is unforgiving. However it is probably also the most rewarding game to play this gen.
---
Please support the gaming industry that both you and I love by choosing to play your games legally.
#19cloud2556(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 8:13:09 PM
Thanks for the advice guys
---
"Only fools believe in deterrence."
#20Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 1/8/2013 8:51:01 PM
The difficulty is overblown when you are in an area for the first time getting killed by well hidden enemies and traps. Also when you are hardcore and refuse to level up or increase your armor or change your strategies. If you are willing to do what it takes you can beat any level, even if it means shooting arrows manually into the darkness trying to hit a bosses' eyes.