This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any Good JRPGs That Don't Feature...

#1HatredInfinitePosted 1/9/2013 12:59:08 AM
Small children comprising most of the cast? I have no problem with vibrant environments and even cartoony design, but I don't find the whole Little-League-Saves-The-World/Loli Fan Service junk even remotely appealing and it seems to be completely and utterly dominating the genre of late. Games like Disgaea, Ar Tonelico, the Atelier series, and Eternal Sonata all seem to have great reviews, but I wouldn't be able to get into them even if I did invest the funds because the premise of a cast composed of primarily kids just doesn't interest me. So I come before you all looking for recommendations. Keep in mind, like I said, it's not the art style of these games that irks me, just the characters.

For current-gen JRPGs, I've played both WKC games, Valkyria Chronicles, and FFXIII. Absolutely loved VC, enjoyed both WKC games until I got burned out on the endgame grinding, and FFXIII was okay. I plan on picking up FFXIII-2 tomorrow and I'm looking for a copy of SO4, but I can't seem to find anything else to pick up besides those two. I was also curious about Tales of Graces and whether or not it would fall into the small-children-hero category.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
---
PSN: HatredInfinite
#2Altair718Posted 1/9/2013 1:10:44 AM
I think the Tales series are small children free.
Also, the Xenosaga trilogy is good.
---
Pkmn Black 2 FC: 348305749358 pm before adding. Together we fight, together we live.-Fire Emblem
#3RyuuHou25Posted 1/9/2013 1:11:48 AM
Almost all characters in the games you listed are near or above 16-18 years of age.

How is that a small child?

Graces F, there is a segment at the beginning where the cast are children, and then goes ahead to when they are teenagers/young adults, again, 16-18 age range from what I remember.

Most JRPGs do this because many of the stories have coming of age themes to them, romance, betrayal, all of that stuff, and their culture and the people who generally consume and watch most of that type of stuff, is generally high school kids.

This is like complaining about games based on childrens cartoons in the states having kiddy characters in them. It's the way their culture is.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#4Nightmare637Posted 1/9/2013 1:13:08 AM
theres more than one Disgaea game, and the only one thats made of mostly kids is the first one.(each one is stand alone)

ad how is Ar tonelico made up of kids?
---
PSN:Nightmare637
#5YagaminouePosted 1/9/2013 1:16:21 AM
HatredInfinite posted...
Games like Disgaea

HatredInfinite posted...
Keep in mind, like I said, it's not the art style of these games that irks me, just the characters.

The main characters in Disgaea games are usually like 1000 years old lol, even though the way they're drawn may make them seem like kids.
#6peter_888Posted 1/9/2013 1:20:12 AM
is there any jrpg that consist of only kids. The games you mentioned might have more kids than usual in a jrpg but there is probably equal amount of teens and adults in there as well.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#7TiaelPosted 1/9/2013 1:26:16 AM
Xenoblade, The Last Story, Radiant Historia, Trails in the Sky, Ys Seven.
---
Ni no Kuni - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUPIPBDA-I
Dragon Quest > Tales of > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all three. Da Bears!
#8Power TurtlePosted 1/9/2013 1:29:16 AM
I agree with loli fanservice but of the games you listed, none of them are kids.. late teens early 20s for a few.. but it just comes down to the artstyle being how you perceive these people..

Star Ocean usually has main characters be late teens early 20s, but alot of the cast are grownups.. with a kid thrown in here and there.
#9Wario_manPosted 1/9/2013 1:33:59 AM
HatredInfinite posted...
Games like Disgaea

HatredInfinite posted...
Keep in mind, like I said, it's not the art style of these games that irks me, just the characters.

The main characters in Disgaea games are usually like 1000 years old lol, even though the way they're drawn may make them seem like kids.

If they're drawn like kids and act like kids then they aren't 1000 years old. I hate in games you can just throw any age you want on someone and then have some flimsy excuse as why they still look like Mandy Moore.

Most of the teenagers and adults often look and act like children as well from what I've seen from time to time. Unless they're a guy in armour or some damaged guy because he's edgy.

Could always give the first Grandia a go. There's only one child character in it and she isn't a permanent member.
---
All your children are poor unfortunate victims of systems beyond their control, a plague upon your ignorance and the gray despair of your ugly life.
#10RyuuHou25Posted 1/9/2013 1:45:06 AM
Wario_man posted...
HatredInfinite posted...
Games like Disgaea

HatredInfinite posted...

If they're drawn like kids and act like kids then they aren't 1000 years old. I hate in games you can just throw any age you want on someone and then have some flimsy excuse as why they still look like Mandy Moore.

Most of the teenagers and adults often look and act like children as well from what I've seen from time to time. Unless they're a guy in armour or some damaged guy because he's edgy.

Could always give the first Grandia a go. There's only one child character in it and she isn't a permanent member.

Okay, and the reverse of this, I could draw a guy with an incredibly defined muscular body and make him look at least 40 years old and claim he's only 1.

Or, you know, upcoming DmC, Dante acts like he's about 12 most of the time. What do I generally hear about that? Not that he's a child, noooo "This is stupid writing!"

The US has ridiculous crap like this, as does Japan.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB