This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any Good JRPGs That Don't Feature...

#11Lockheart34Posted 1/9/2013 3:20:00 AM(edited)
NIER is the closest thing I can think of, it does contain a child party member, but he changes throughout the game...I'll leave it at that, too much spoilers. Much better than Hope from FFXIII.
---
PSN: Kamurotetsu
#12Nirvanas_NoxPosted 1/9/2013 3:35:45 AM
oh goddess here we go....
---
My business isnt your business so unless your my thong, dont be up my ass.
#13badboyPosted 1/9/2013 4:22:29 AM
You don't have many options on the PS3, unless you count the PS1 classics.
#14HatredInfinite(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 5:02:59 AM
badboy posted...
You don't have many options on the PS3, unless you count the PS1 classics.

That's kind of what I've been afraid of. Thinking about grabbing Breath Of Fire IV and Chrono Trigger since they're the only PS1 classic RPGs I really need.

And I guess I didn't really mean SMALL children, like under 10, but small children like...not believable that they compose the majority of a band of heroes out to save the world. And I, admittedly, am not familiar enough with the games I listed to know how old the characters are SUPPOSED to be but it's pretty clear that a great deal of them are intended to look stupidly young. And Ar Tonelico Qoga appears to have a veritable boatload of children as characters. It may temper those numbers with a somewhat equal amount of adult(ish) characters, but that doesn't change the fact that even the cover art is a group-shot of child-soldiers. Do I have the option to not play as ANY of the child characters for at least a majority of the game? If so, perhaps it'll be worth a shot.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll probably pick up Tales of Graces at some point then, and I'll give Nier a shot as well.
---
PSN: HatredInfinite
#15TiaelPosted 1/9/2013 5:05:14 AM(edited)
Ni no Kuni has Oliver as the lead (he's 13, but this is Ghibli's art style which has them looking younger), but in the context of the story it's more believable than someone who would be older.
Though you'd be more using the Familiars in that.
---
Ni no Kuni - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUPIPBDA-I
Dragon Quest > Tales of > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all three. Da Bears!
#16Godly_GoofPosted 1/9/2013 5:12:24 AM
RyuuHou25 posted...
Wario_man posted...
HatredInfinite posted...
Games like Disgaea

HatredInfinite posted...
Keep in mind, like I said, it's not the art style of these games that irks me, just the characters.

The main characters in Disgaea games are usually like 1000 years old lol, even though the way they're drawn may make them seem like kids.

If they're drawn like kids and act like kids then they aren't 1000 years old. I hate in games you can just throw any age you want on someone and then have some flimsy excuse as why they still look like Mandy Moore.

Most of the teenagers and adults often look and act like children as well from what I've seen from time to time. Unless they're a guy in armour or some damaged guy because he's edgy.

Could always give the first Grandia a go. There's only one child character in it and she isn't a permanent member.

Okay, and the reverse of this, I could draw a guy with an incredibly defined muscular body and make him look at least 40 years old and claim he's only 1.

Or, you know, upcoming DmC, Dante acts like he's about 12 most of the time. What do I generally hear about that? Not that he's a child, noooo "This is stupid writing!"

The US has ridiculous crap like this, as does Japan.

Zakuro from Dokoro-chan. Sexiest 9 year old alive. Also why age should NEVER be brought up in games or TV
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#17RyuuHou25Posted 1/9/2013 5:16:39 AM
"Keep in mind, like I said, it's not the art style of these games that irks me, just the characters."

"And I, admittedly, am not familiar enough with the games I listed to know how old the characters are SUPPOSED to be but it's pretty clear that a great deal of them are intended to look stupidly young"

Then it is the art style. Sorry. You'll either have to get used to it, or stop playing them, because it's never going to change. It's their culture.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#18nonexistingheroPosted 1/9/2013 5:29:47 AM
Most JRPG's have a cast that's mostly 16+, with 1-2 party members being under the age of 16 (and even then, usually still a teen).

TC just needs to stop his stupid whining about playing with 'little children'. Yes, teens aren't adults. Not even 18-19 year olds are, and they usually start becoming actual adults somewhere in their 20's. But they're not little kids either.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#19JurmsturPosted 1/9/2013 5:46:04 AM
Altair718 posted...
I think the Tales series are small children free.
Also, the Xenosaga trilogy is good.

You haven't played Tales of Graces F then. Even the adults in that game look like they're 10 years old. As for the TC, you might want to look into some Wrpg's like Skyrim or something, because most Jrpg's characters look like they're little kids. No matter what game you play.
#20Godly_GoofPosted 1/9/2013 6:35:00 AM
Jurmstur posted...
Altair718 posted...
I think the Tales series are small children free.
Also, the Xenosaga trilogy is good.

You haven't played Tales of Graces F then. Even the adults in that game look like they're 10 years old. As for the TC, you might want to look into some Wrpg's like Skyrim or something, because most Jrpg's characters look like they're little kids. No matter what game you play.

Aside from Sophie, your just wrong. None of the characters from Tales F look even close to 10 years old. The only one that surprised me was Pascal being 22. And that's only because I figured her in the 17-19 range
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."