This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any Good JRPGs That Don't Feature...

#101Godly_GoofPosted 1/9/2013 1:21:54 PM
Pereb27 posted...
BlinkWinkel posted...

As far as I know in those series the main cast of characters are all around aged 16+, so they are not kids, more like teens or young adults. Only exception I can think of is Rorona in Atelier Meruru, after she used the potion of youth she looks like a 8 year old kid or so. Besides, if you don't want a "kid" in your party there are older playable characters too like Sterk and Esty (around 30-40 years old) and Gio (around 60 year old).

In Disgaea games, it's more the chibi art style that makes the characters look younger than they are. You can create your own characters anyway if you want "older" looking characters but even so as avatars it's natural that the characters will look younger. Story mode just lasts a few hours anyway and there is no nudity as far as I know, Disgaea games is all about grinding to insane levels anyway.

Only games I can think of that are mostly about loli fanservice are Mugen Souls (which got censored by the way) and maybe Hyperdimension Neptunia games (Characters are around 14 year old I think).

Haven't played Mugen Souls so can't tell, but from the 20 hours (so far) I've spent in Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 I believe I can safely say the fanservice isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Not that there is no fanservice at all, but I've seen way worse (I don't like most forms of fanservice - I tolerate it though, because when judging a game I judge the overall of it, not just what I dislike about it).
Also, they usually have dialogues going on which I'm finding pretty funny and make it somewhat enjoyable.

HDN isn't bad at all :/ aside from the first like 5 minutes of MK2 it's really tame by any standards. Just ignorant NA fanboys trying to sensationalize everything. And Mugen souls is more "perverted" than anything but that's kinda a huge aspect of the game so it only makes sense O_o.

And ya the dialogue in the HDN games is brilliant. Listening to all the CPUs bashing the others systems was one of the greatest things ever done haha.

Just hearing "well who'd want your system anyway? It's just a giant red ring" as the insult to the Xbox was priceless.
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#102TerotrousPosted 1/9/2013 1:23:38 PM
TC obviously missed the boat on Vagrant Story back when it came out. The poor sales of that game lead to Square being reluctant to ever release another game starring anyone but a young male protagonist.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#103Godly_GoofPosted 1/9/2013 1:24:30 PM
American_Eagle0 posted...
get persona 3 fes and 4. the games have a teenage cast but they dont behave like little runts.

Well Yukari kinda really does in FES (the extra story). I just wanted to slap the b**** out of her after about an hour :/
---
#104Pereb27Posted 1/9/2013 1:27:13 PM(edited)
Godly_Goof posted...
HDN isn't bad at all :/ aside from the first like 5 minutes of MK2 it's really tame by any standards. Just ignorant NA fanboys trying to sensationalize everything. And Mugen souls is more "perverted" than anything but that's kinda a huge aspect of the game so it only makes sense O_o.

And ya the dialogue in the HDN games is brilliant. Listening to all the CPUs bashing the others systems was one of the greatest things ever done haha.

Just hearing "well who'd want your system anyway? It's just a giant red ring" as the insult to the Xbox was priceless.

Ahahahaha, yes, the RROD reference alone made the game a worthwhile purchase.
And I wasn't trying to imply HDN was bad, only that people make it sound like the fanservice is way over the top when it isn't.
#105SieKensouPosted 1/9/2013 1:27:13 PM
Pereb27 posted...
Godly_Goof posted...

far more than just against the xbox .... all three systems just bashed each other constnatly during those moments...
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#106Pereb27Posted 1/9/2013 1:28:14 PM
SieKensou posted...
far more than just against the xbox .... all three systems just bashed each other constnatly during those moments...

Well for now I wouldn't know... still waiting for my copy of the first one to arrive. Only have mk2 right now. I did notice a RROD reference in there though. Made my day.
#107SieKensouPosted 1/9/2013 1:29:54 PM
Pereb27 posted...
SieKensou posted...

Well for now I wouldn't know... still waiting for my copy of the first one to arrive. Only have mk2 right now. I did notice a RROD reference in there though. Made my day.

but yeah... the first game has interesting game mechanics that end up falling short... i haven't finished it yet... the events and situations are really all you play the game for anyways.... not really about the gameplay.
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#108Godly_GoofPosted 1/9/2013 1:35:57 PM
SieKensou posted...
Pereb27 posted...
Godly_Goof posted...

Oh ya. That was just the line I always remembered from the scene XD. Then again that game had so many awesome 1 liners. "it's on like monkey kong" is still my most used though haha.
---
#109SightoPosted 1/9/2013 2:55:45 PM
If you want to play JRPGs for the most part you'll have to put up with variety. The subgenre isn't as stale as its western counterpart.
---
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/15/15988000/ngbbs47fa102e7660f.gif
#110sharinguyPosted 1/9/2013 3:00:03 PM
Only Disgaea 1 has the whole kid crew and Disgaea 3 has kid MC and rival but most of the cast is adulst. in Disgaea 2 you are manly hero who fights evil and in Disgaea 4 there are all adults with the exception of fukka.
---
PSN: Dorman_777
Pokemon Black FC: 5414-9379-0757