This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any Good JRPGs That Don't Feature...

#21SieKensouPosted 1/9/2013 5:57:53 AM
Godly_Goof posted...
Jurmstur posted...
Altair718 posted...
I think the Tales series are small children free.
Also, the Xenosaga trilogy is good.

You haven't played Tales of Graces F then. Even the adults in that game look like they're 10 years old. As for the TC, you might want to look into some Wrpg's like Skyrim or something, because most Jrpg's characters look like they're little kids. No matter what game you play.

Aside from Sophie, your just wrong. None of the characters from Tales F look even close to 10 years old. The only one that surprised me was Pascal being 22. And that's only because I figured her in the 17-19 range

Pascal's a special one...
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#22schadowPosted 1/9/2013 6:01:43 AM
Just a bunch of old geezers in here who forgot how to tell the difference between 10 and 20, just because 60 and 70 look alike.
---
Soundcloud.com/komodovaran
My humble hobby project. Comment/rate if you have the spare time!
#23Wario_manPosted 1/9/2013 6:02:29 AM
Jurmstur posted...
Altair718 posted...
I think the Tales series are small children free.
Also, the Xenosaga trilogy is good.

You haven't played Tales of Graces F then. Even the adults in that game look like they're 10 years old. As for the TC, you might want to look into some Wrpg's like Skyrim or something, because most Jrpg's characters look like they're little kids. No matter what game you play.

Aside from Sophie, your just wrong. None of the characters from Tales F look even close to 10 years old. The only one that surprised me was Pascal being 22. And that's only because I figured her in the 17-19 range

When the game started I swore the main two characters were 9-12 respectively. And the main main guy's voice INSTANTLY grated on me as soon as he said something. I was prepared for the worst but it still got me.
---
If they won't sell it to you, it isn't piracy.
#24killakPosted 1/9/2013 6:02:44 AM
Why do people fear playing as a child? Are you afraid you might get an erection and confirm your worst fears?
---
I believe in Jesus Christ, the exclamation.........
#25SieKensouPosted 1/9/2013 6:07:47 AM(edited)
Wario_man posted...
When the game started I swore the main two characters were 9-12 respectively. And the main main guy's voice INSTANTLY grated on me as soon as he said something. I was prepared for the worst but it still got me.

prologue = child arc.... main game is teen arc... then there's an epilogue.

they are 8-10yrs old in child arc.

and what's wrong with children in stories?... i guess you will never be able to understand Lord of the Flies then... they're all kids in that story.
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#26jammiesPosted 1/9/2013 6:06:33 AM
Dragon's Dogma
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#27antoinejonesPosted 1/9/2013 6:10:55 AM
lol the only JRPG i know with "small children" is tales of graces f.. and even then thats only for the first few hours (they eventually grown up/get older as you play)... every other JRPG has ppl that are teenagers not "small children"
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#28HatredInfinite(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 6:15:35 AM
RyuuHou25 posted...
"Keep in mind, like I said, it's not the art style of these games that irks me, just the characters."

"And I, admittedly, am not familiar enough with the games I listed to know how old the characters are SUPPOSED to be but it's pretty clear that a great deal of them are intended to look stupidly young"

Then it is the art style. Sorry. You'll either have to get used to it, or stop playing them, because it's never going to change. It's their culture.

Character design doesn't account for the entirety of art style and not all JRPGs feature a pedo-bear approved cast. This is something that used to just be a niche thing, at least stateside. Although I suppose most of the titles I listed were spawned directly from that niche. It's just disappointing when characters don't look even remotely age-appropriate. Apparently the male character on the cover of Ar Tonelico Qoga is 17, but he still looks like a rail-thin 11-year-old. You can't tell me that dude is almost six feet tall and 170 lbs.

nonexistinghero posted...

TC just needs to stop his stupid whining about playing with 'little children'. Yes, teens aren't adults. Not even 18-19 year olds are, and they usually start becoming actual adults somewhere in their 20's. But they're not little kids either.

Ironically, your little tizzy-fit about my "stupid whining" is the closest thing to whining that's occurred in this thread. Stating my opinion is not the same as whining. I have no interest in playing Pint-Sized-Hero-Of-The-Day.

killak posted...
Why do people fear playing as a child? Are you afraid you might get an erection and confirm your worst fears?

Having no interest in something is not tantamount to fearing it. Good to know that you like to put children and erections in the same train of thought though.
---
PSN: HatredInfinite
#29ShineboxerPosted 1/9/2013 6:19:00 AM
Almost all characters in the games you listed are near or above 16-18 years of age.

How is that a small child?

Graces F, there is a segment at the beginning where the cast are children, and then goes ahead to when they are teenagers/young adults, again, 16-18 age range from what I remember.

Most JRPGs do this because many of the stories have coming of age themes to them, romance, betrayal, all of that stuff, and their culture and the people who generally consume and watch most of that type of stuff, is generally high school kids.

This is like complaining about games based on childrens cartoons in the states having kiddy characters in them. It's the way their culture is.

Don't play semantics bro, they're kids.

Yes, well told. Highschool children also watch MLP and listen to justin Bieber. Does that mean they have a refned taste in culture?

Yeah i thought so too.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#30HatredInfinite(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 6:23:02 AM
SieKensou posted...
Wario_man posted...

prologue = child arc.... main game is teen arc... then there's an epilogue.

they are 8-10yrs old in child arc.

and what's wrong with children in stories?... i guess you will never be able to understand Lord of the Flies then... they're all kids in that story.

Lord of the Flies is excellent, but I'm not reading a book; I'm trying to enjoy a game and the type that feature armies staffed by members of the lollipop guild just don't happen to be my cup of tea is all.
---
PSN: HatredInfinite